IGNORED

Rugby/football

Desso

Went to the rugby training session at Ashton Gate yesterday. Those rugger buggers sure are big blokes and it got me thinking that now we are all under the same umbrella, if we needed a big powerful striker or centre half and the talent was there, could they be signed for football as well as rugby. Has a precedent been set? By the same token, I can think of one or two of our players who would, I think, fit in well in the rugby team.  

Incidentally, the pitch looked as good at the end as when they started.

Not sure there is a precedent.  In theory, a good goalie should be able to play Full Back at Rugby (have to be brave, good at spot kicking and catching a high ball).

As I say, not aware anyone has ever done it though, closest I can think of was England RWC winner and football WC winner's nephew Ben Cohen, who I think played football at a decent level (although not pro).

There have been loads of footballers who also played cricket in the summer, but not so many who have played rugby union because the seasons clash.

I think Danny Cipriani was good enough at football to have made it if he had wanted to.

Aden Flint would make a good line-out jumper but he would need to bulk out a bit for rugby!

There was an Adidas thing a while ago, David Beckham vs Johnny Wilkinson, if I remember correctly JW could take a mean free kick and get one heck of a swerve on a football.

I'm sure it's still on youtube or the interweb somewhere.

Just found this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF5X_Kxvz_o&feature=player_detailpage

There was an Adidas thing a while ago, David Beckham vs Johnny Wilkinson, if I remember correctly JW could take a mean free kick and get one heck of a swerve on a football.

I'm sure it's still on youtube or the interweb somewhere.

I remember the day after England went out of (yet another) competition on Penalties (Mr Beckham missed one) someone emailed me a picture from that campaign.  It showed Jonny holding a football and Beckham holding a Rugby Ball.  JW had a speech Bubble saying "It was easy really, I kicked the ball over the bar and we won the World Cup" and Beckham has a thought bubble above his head that reads "Kick Ball over bar - Win, got it".

Well, it made I larf

Not rugby but; Bristol's own Arthur Milton; played for City & Glos CCC. Whilst at Arsenal he played cricket & football for England.

Getting back to the OP; imagine someone like Jonah Lomu rampaging through the oppo's penalty area!

I think boxers make good goalkeepers due to the amount of punching required. Look at Rocky in the film Escape to Victory. He had never played soccer in his life but by half time in the match against the top Germans Pele, and Mike Sumerbee and Russell Osman etc had enough faith in him to Jack out of escaping and doing a number on our Aryan friends. Rocky made some great, brave saves.

Another case would be Harry Clay our keeper in the 1909 cup final. I believe he was related to Cassius Clay who went on to beat Sonny Liston.

Not sure there is a precedent.  In theory, a good goalie should be able to play Full Back at Rugby (have to be brave, good at spot kicking and catching a high ball).

As I say, not aware anyone has ever done it though, closest I can think of was England RWC winner and football WC winner's nephew Ben Cohen, who I think played football at a decent level (although not pro).

Not sure if I'm mis-reading your post, but George Cohen was part of the 1966 World Cup Team.

Steve Ogrozovic, played top flight football in goal for Coventry. In the summer he played minor counties cricket for, I think, Shropshire. Think he might well be the last dual sport player of any real standard.

Trivia question for you - I hears this a few years ago so it may be out of date and apologies if that's the case.

Who was the last man to have represented his country at international level in both football and cricket?

Trivia question for you - I hears this a few years ago so it may be out of date and apologies if that's the case.

Who was the last man to have represented his country at international level in both football and cricket?

Arthur Milton for england I don't know about other countries though

Andy Goram?

Was it Viv Richards who was a dual international?

He played for Antigua I remember that now you mention it back in the late 70's guess it isnt him. Just seen above Andy Goran. That sounds a good shout, he played for Scotland in both forms.

Archived