IGNORED

Jon Stead

halelee

Jon Stead. A lot of what is wrong with English football.

Lorded a hero and loved.....because he was a 'trier'.

Gave 100%.....but was only average, made to look better by an extremely poor team at the time

I understand your point but it's poorly made. I would've said a lot of what was wrong with English football is that there aren't more people in the game with his work ethic, intelligence and personality.

I think Jon will go on to make a better coach and manager than he has been a player.

What a great player for us.

stood on the east end, watching us in absolute free fall, turning in woeful performance after woeful performance, for a perioinjur Christmas and into the next year, he was only the player who gave me any hope and who allowed to atfach my last shred of faith to the team.

I know people like to the think the forum is the voice of the fans but the majority of those around me and who I travelled away with, would all agree. His injury was a devastating blow for us at the time. Great off the pitch as well.

Will always get a huge amount of respect from me.

They looked the better team with 10 men for ages.  Couldnt help thinking that they spent loads more energy tonight thou

The red card certainly livened up the game, but yeah they ran themselves into the ground.

Campbell Ryce was brilliant down the wing, until he tried to cross it!

To be fair, working hard and showing enthusiasm is the minimum anyone shoud expect, but Stead really seemed to "get" City. Not the most talented by any means, but his commitment could never be questioned. I highly doubt we'd have stayed up anyway, but him getting injured put several nails into the coffin.

I'm sure he was on a decent wage whilst he was here, but then so were quite a few others who seemed quite content to take the piss out of the club with their performances.

Top man, and I'm sure he'll get a good reception on Tuesday.

To be fair, working hard and showing enthusiasm is the minimum anyone shoud expect, but Stead really seemed to "get" City. Not the most talented by any means, but his commitment could never be questioned. I highly doubt we'd have stayed up anyway, but him getting injured put several nails into the coffin.

I'm sure he was on a decent wage whilst he was here, but then so were quite a few others who seemed quite content to take the piss out of the club with their performances.

Top man, and I'm sure he'll get a good reception on Tuesday.

Totally agree with you never scored as many goals as would of liked but jon always gave 110% on the pitch

The red card certainly livened up the game, but yeah they ran themselves into the ground.

Campbell Ryce was brilliant down the wing, until he tried to cross it!

On one occasion, JCR made a great run into the box and just had to slip the ball to the feet of the striker on his left whom would surely have scored but decided instead to try to score hisself. JCR's effort was blocked. His colleague was unimpressed. Greedy sod!

Campbell Ryce had loads of pace.  Nothing else.  He reminds me of a player... oh hang on!!

Wow!

I know this is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion and people disagree in football etc etc etc

BUT

JCR only have pace?! Wow! Whether you liked him or not it was clear that he is very techinically gifted, had a great touch and retained the ball very well. He wasn't slow but I don't actually think he was that quick either and that's what divided fans opinion. If he couldn't beat his man he'd cut inside and look for other options, hence having good ball retention. This frustrated many, I know, but actually isn't that bad.

To say he had loads of pace and nothing else is a misplaced comment in the extreme.

I understand your point but it's poorly made. I would've said a lot of what was wrong with English football is that there aren't more people in the game with his work ethic, intelligence and personality.

I think Jon will go on to make a better coach and manager than he has been a player.

No, it's not poorly made. He's absolutely right. 

Players like Jon Stead are rated so highly by so many in the English game, particularly the fans. Now, Steady is a top fella and he was certainly a trier. But is that good enough? really? In this country we focus so much on effort, on work-rate and on the appearance of being busy for a full 90 minutes. Technique, positional and tactical understanding and composure are all relegated to afterthoughts (often not even that)

You see it every saturday morning in the parks and recreation grounds. Little Tommy told to run, run, run by his coach and his dad and the other dads too. Not encouraged to calm the game down, to stop and think to get his head up and use his brain as well as his brawn. Until such a point comes where running isn't seen as the most important thing in the world, which it evidently is just through reading the ramblings of so many posters on here, we will be stuck in the duldrums of world football. 

We fail at the grassroots every single week, as a nation. There's the issue. We can't get anything else right unless it's a bottom up revolution. Change starts at the very bottom. Facilities, coaches teaching the right things, no more result driven youth football, mixed ability squads not A and B, training drills not just 'let's have a game', Dad's forced to act like adults not morons looking for their football thrill for the weekend.... Basics we get wrong every day. 

Players like Jon Stead are rated so highly by so many in the English game, particularly the fans. Now, Steady is a top fella and he was certainly a trier. But is that good enough? really? In this country we focus so much on effort, on work-rate and on the appearance of being busy for a full 90 minutes. Technique, positional and tactical understanding and composure are all relegated to afterthoughts (often not even that)

You see it every saturday morning in the parks and recreation grounds. Little Tommy told to run, run, run by his coach and his dad and the other dads too. Not encouraged to calm the game down, to stop and think to get his head up and use his brain as well as his brawn. Until such a point comes where running isn't seen as the most important thing in the world, which it evidently is just through reading the ramblings of so many posters on here, we will be stuck in the duldrums of world football. 

We fail at the grassroots every single week, as a nation. There's the issue. We can't get anything else right unless it's a bottom up revolution. Change starts at the very bottom. Facilities, coaches teaching the right things, no more result driven youth football, mixed ability squads not A and B, training drills not just 'let's have a game', Dad's forced to act like adults not morons looking for their football thrill for the weekend.... Basics we get wrong every day. 

I don't disagree with anything you say, you're absolutely right.

However, the statement that "Jon Stead is a lot of what is wrong about English football" is grossly unfair on a player who did the only thing he can do - try his best.

As I said originally, the sentiment is fair but that comment is not. It's a point poorly made, actually.

I don't disagree with anything you say, you're absolutely right.

However, the statement that "Jon Stead is a lot of what is wrong about English football" is grossly unfair on a player who did the only thing he can do - try his best.

As I said originally, the sentiment is fair but that comment is not. It's a point poorly made, actually.

You might view it as harsh, but it's correct. Jon Stead does embody many of the things that are wrong with English football. Especially seeing as he is rated so highly. 

Without effort you don't achieve anything in the game. Look at Taarabt at QPR all the talent in the world yet doesn't give a damn.

Don't think anyone's said being just a trier is good enough.

All people have said is that he's one of their favourite players from his time with us. That's partly because he always gave everything but also that he WAS actually very important to us. Don't forget he played for us when we were in our downward spiral when there wasn't a great deal to shout about and he was pivotal in the season where we managed to survive. Nobody's said he's outstanding but he certainly did well for us and was easily my favourite player (along with Albert) from those final two championship seasons.

Other than that, I totally agree with you about grassroots football and how that needs to change.

Agree with pretty much all that. What I'd say though: yes he may be not good enough for a good side, say challenging for promotion. But in a relegation battle inwhat was a truly awful side his contribution was vital. The presence of someone like Stead chasing lost causes, harrying defenders forced areas and created chances, important in a side with virtually zero creativity. He also helped the ball stick giving our defence some respite, useful when they couldn't cope with any sort of pressure. In a side with a decent defence and attacking flair he wouldn't be needed, but with neither he was absolutely crucial.

While we may have gone down anyway, we were at least putting up a fight and giving ourselves a chance of survival until his injury

You might view it as harsh, but it's correct. Jon Stead does embody many of the things that are wrong with English football. Especially seeing as he is rated so highly.

Context!

He's rated so highly because we had a team of overpaid wasters for years who got us relegated. He was one of just a few glimmers of light during that time. He gave his all for the club (as fans often ask players to do) but not many did during that time. Nobody has said he's Messi or think he is an outstandingly good player but credit where credit is due. He's popular because he endered himself to fans.

Don't misunderstand why he's popular.

Context!

He's rated so highly because we had a team of overpaid wasters for years who got us relegated. He was one of just a few glimmers of light during that time. He gave his all for the club (as fans often ask players to do) but not many did during that time. Nobody has said he's Messi or think he is an outstandingly good player but credit where credit is due. He's popular because he endered himself to fans.

Don't misunderstand why he's popular.

But his popularity shouldn't cloud the fact that he has made a career out of being a nice guy who runs for lost causes. That's my point. I liked Steady, he's a really good bloke and his attitude never wavered. I agree. But my point is far bigger than any individual footballer. It's about the English game generally where technique and flair is ignored and physicality overemphasised at the very bottom.

Blokes doing an impression of a youth coach taking their understanding of football from that engrained notion that high-tempo, all guns blazing football is how the game should be played. Where charging down a keeper is more important than marking the options restricting that keeper from playing a worthwhile forward pass because marking someone doesn't give the appearance of 'doing something' or 'affecting the game'. Where thumping balls into the channels is encouraged because the striker is a bit nippy and will probably get there first a couple of times. Where coaches teach horrible phrases like 'if in doubt kick it out' discouraging any form of enterprise or creativity in our kids. 

That's the issue and that's why he embodies many things that are wrong with the game. It's a wider criticism and it's not about Jon Stead personally either. He's a good egg and if I was going to the Bradford game would be getting a round of applause from me. But, the point still stands. The way Stead has been coached, the way Stead has been taught to play the game is a huge issue and problem. 

Archived