IGNORED

Jon Stead

halelee

He was a clever player. Held the all up very well, probably on a par with Wilbraham.

His touches were clever and harassed and harried defenders and chased seemingly list balls.

He didn't have pace or step overs, which some will never see past, but he was undoubtedly one of our best during his time here.

Embodies all that is wrong with English football? Ridiculous.

He was a clever player. Held the all up very well, probably on a par with Wilbraham.

His touches were clever and harassed and harried defenders and chased seemingly list balls.

He didn't have pace or step overs, which some will never see past, but he was undoubtedly one of our best during his time here.

Embodies all that is wrong with English football? Ridiculous.

Not really ridiculous though is it?

As I said....we are a nation who celebrates average and players who "work hard and never stops running". As a proffesional athelete....they should be doing that anyway.

Always makes me cringe when the crowd cheers and claps a player for tear assing round like a headless chicken for a few seconds to close a keeper or defender down.

He was a likeable guy.....great to follow on twitter and that. However as a football player.....his all round game and his contribution, was poor. He was made to look better then he was by the fact he was in an extremely poor team

But his popularity shouldn't cloud the fact that he has made a career out of being a nice guy who runs for lost causes. That's my point. I liked Steady, he's a really good bloke and his attitude never wavered. I agree. But my point is far bigger than any individual footballer. It's about the English game generally where technique and flair is ignored and physicality overemphasised at the very bottom.

Blokes doing an impression of a youth coach taking their understanding of football from that engrained notion that high-tempo, all guns blazing football is how the game should be played. Where charging down a keeper is more important than marking the options restricting that keeper from playing a worthwhile forward pass because marking someone doesn't give the appearance of 'doing something' or 'affecting the game'. Where thumping balls into the channels is encouraged because the striker is a bit nippy and will probably get there first a couple of times. Where coaches teach horrible phrases like 'if in doubt kick it out' discouraging any form of enterprise or creativity in our kids. 

That's the issue and that's why he embodies many things that are wrong with the game. It's a wider criticism and it's not about Jon Stead personally either. He's a good egg and if I was going to the Bradford game would be getting a round of applause from me. But, the point still stands. The way Stead has been coached, the way Stead has been taught to play the game is a huge issue and problem.

I share in your philosophy.

However, I still think you're being a bit harsh on steady though. He wasn't the most gifted player but he was far from bad. After all he's played pretty much all his career in the Prem or Championship. He wasn't a donkey and he wasn't tactically inept. In fact, I remember a previous manager talking about what an intelligent footballer he was.

Players like Sproule I'd argue fall into the 'everything that's wrong with British football' category with his run and nothing else mentality. Jon Stead, in my opinion, just had a little bit more quality than perhaps you're giving him credit for.

Not really ridiculous though is it?

As I said....we are a nation who celebrates average and players who "work hard and never stops running". As a proffesional athelete....they should be doing that anyway.

Always makes me cringe when the crowd cheers and claps a player for tear assing round like a headless chicken for a few seconds to close a keeper or defender down.

He was a likeable guy.....great to follow on twitter and that. However as a football player.....his all round game and his contribution, was poor. He was made to look better then he was by the fact he was in an extremely poor team

The point is an obvious one but aimed at the wrong player.

As he showed last night, Steads ability is underrated by some of you. He has an excellent

touch and good vision. He is not a strong target man like Wilbs, but in other respects is similar & holds the ball up well. The parallels with Crouch are worth repeating. He certainly wouldn't look out of place back in our side.

I'd happily re-sign him. To say that he is "all that's wrong with football" as a talentless tryer is as wide of the mark as our strikers' shooting last night.

The point is an obvious one but aimed at the wrong player.

As he showed last night, Steads ability is underrated by some of you. He has an excellent

touch and good vision. He is not a strong target man like Wilbs, but in other respects is similar & holds the ball up well. The parallels with Crouch are worth repeating. He certainly wouldn't look out of place back in our side.

I'd happily re-sign him. To say that he is "all that's wrong with football" as a talentless tryer is as wide of the mark as our strikers' shooting last night.

I'd go as far as to say we perhaps could go with another forward with similar attributes to Stead right now, as it's pretty clear (as excellent as he is) that we need a more direct replacement for Wilbraham when he tires/isn't quite getting into the game. Neither JET or Burns are suitable replacements for the role Wilbs plays.

I'd go as far as to say we perhaps could go with another forward with similar attributes to Stead right now, as it's pretty clear (as excellent as he is) that we need a more direct replacement for Wilbraham when he tires/isn't quite getting into the game. Neither JET or Burns are suitable replacements for the role Wilbs plays.

Eoin Doyle impressed me playing for Chesterfield recently. Difficult to play against. Someone like him?

Archived