IGNORED

Barnsley Away

REDOXO

Sheffield is a Dyer night out me and a couple others done it for the sheff utd game crap stay in Leeds much better

already done weekends in both leeds is gash just gotta know where to go in sheffield and me mates bro did uni and now lives there so he knows his way around . Also free digs

Wouldn't mind going but wont due to the extortionate rail fares...

Been a few times to Oakwell though, nice ground and certainly one of the more friendlier place to go in South and West Yorkshire.

Couldn't disagree more about the 'friendly' locals - I've been there a few times and on the last occasion my car was completely trashed when I got back to it - the only indication it was from Bristol was the number plate. Unnecessary hassle in a pub too....

Couldn't disagree more about the 'friendly' locals - I've been there a few times and on the last occasion my car was completely trashed when I got back to it - the only indication it was from Bristol was the number plate. Unnecessary hassle in a pub too....

Completely true, their firm Barnsley 5o are very game.

I met them recently and let's just say they are awaiting our visit with great anticipation, don't expect anything but trouble.

I'm not trying to put people off but Ive personally had a recent run in with them and they're definitely awaiting our visit, be careful is my advice.

I met them recently and let's just say they are awaiting our visit with great anticipation, don't expect anything but trouble.

I'm not trying to put people off but Ive personally had a recent run in with them and they're definitely awaiting our visit, be careful is my advice.

Barnsley 5o

Seriously!?

Not the kind of thing I take an interest in so it may have just passed me by, but I've worked in Barnsley for 8 years and I've never heard of 'Barnsley 5o'. Of all the towns and cities in South & West Yorkshire, Barnsley is the place I'd say is least intimidating and violent on a match day

Not the kind of thing I take an interest in so it may have just passed me by, but I've worked in Barnsley for 8 years and I've never heard of 'Barnsley 5o'. Of all the towns and cities in South & West Yorkshire, Barnsley is the place I'd say is least intimidating and violent on a match day

Biggest danger I remember at Barnsley was trying to cross that dual carriageway on the hill leading from the Prince of Wales to the ground.

The 'Barnsley 50' would surely be more animated by the prospective arrival of more local fans like those of Bradford, Chesterfield, Doncaster, PNE, Sheff. Utd etc. than a club 190 miles away with no history of trouble between the clubs that I'm aware of. 

Certainly no sign of any trouble last time I went.

Out of curiosity, was Barnsley Tyke banned or did he just get bored and stop posting?

Not seen him around since his immortal thread that still lives in the classics.

Can only assume he had been on the sauce that day as he was one of those visiting posters that was usually quite balanced, or at least the ones I saw. Either banned or shamed away.

Danny Dyer?! Sheffield is a good night out, you just need to know where to go. To be fair, Leeds is a great night out

I'll be there next Saturday, was just planning on POTD

Even when I was a nipper the standard practice for women was to puke in the streets while queuing for clubs and bars. Must be worse now.

Sophisticated they ain't (the people), though there are some very nice parts of town and good restaurants.

Even when I was a nipper the standard practice for women was to puke in the streets while queuing for clubs and bars. Must be worse now.

Sophisticated they ain't (the people), though there are some very nice parts of town and good restaurants.

'The people' would include my wife, my sister and most of my best friends mate. I've seen equally bad behaviour in the centre of Bristol on a Saturday night, it'd be the same in any major centre in the UK on a weekend

Not really a "buzz" for this game like there have been in past away games, I know Barnsleys not Barelona but cheer up, we're top of the league!!

Probably because its a 6-7 hour round trip, a complete dive and we've been there a few times already recently, bar last season.

'The people' would include my wife, my sister and most of my best friends mate. I've seen equally bad behaviour in the centre of Bristol on a Saturday night, it'd be the same in any major centre in the UK on a weekend

I used to go clubbing in Bristol 3 times a week at the time. A single visit to Leeds back then was a stark contrast in behaviour.

My wife is Mancunian, but I don't mind anyone telling me that Mancs are a shell-suited bunch about as sophisticated as a meat pie.  It ain't personal.

I used to go clubbing in Bristol 3 times a week at the time. A single visit to Leeds back then was a stark contrast in behaviour.

My wife is Mancunian, but I don't mind anyone telling me that Mancs are a shell-suited bunch about as sophisticated as a meat pie. It ain't personal.

Well as a proud northerner (as well as a proud BCFC fan who is proud of his Brizzle roots) I get annoyed by people peddling tired stereotypes about the north of England; especially in relation to cities such as Leeds and Manchester which I would argue are far more cosmopolitan and sophisticated than Bristol (among others). We should remember that Leeds has recently gained an indoor arena, and Manchester got a brand new stadium 10 years ago whilst hosting an international sporting event. These are all things that the people of Bristol don't seem to want or need... But it ain't personal

Don't get me wrong; I love Bristol (am down in a few weeks, hoping to catch the Preston game if I can get a ticket!), but when I go there I feel it's more of a backwater than Leeds or Manchester- i thought that was why all the graphic designers from North London moved there?!?!

Well as a proud northerner (as well as a proud BCFC fan who is proud of his Brizzle roots) I get annoyed by people peddling tired stereotypes about the north of England; especially in relation to cities such as Leeds and Manchester which I would argue are far more cosmopolitan and sophisticated than Bristol (among others). We should remember that Leeds has recently gained an indoor arena, and Manchester got a brand new stadium 10 years ago whilst hosting an international sporting event. These are all things that the people of Bristol don't seem to want or need... But it ain't personal

Don't get me wrong; I love Bristol (am down in a few weeks, hoping to catch the Preston game if I can get a ticket!), but when I go there I feel it's more of a backwater than Leeds or Manchester- i thought that was why all the graphic designers from North London moved there?!?!

Leeds?  Haven't been there for about 7 or 8 years, but it was a shit hole then.  Manchester is fairly cosmopolitan as you say, but apart from the Poynton/Wilmslow/Alderley Edge "strip" it is surrounding by "the grim North".  (and motorways of course!)

Leeds?  Haven't been there for about 7 or 8 years, but it was a shit hole then.  Manchester is fairly cosmopolitan as you say, but apart from the Poynton/Wilmslow/Alderley Edge "strip" it is surrounding by "the grim North".  (and motorways of course!)

Utter rubbish, we've got the penines on our doorstep which bring beautiful countryside and lovely market towns. I moved from the south up north and wouldn't go back if you paid me.

Like everywhere you have good and bad parts but to say the North is grim, that's ridiculous.

Utter rubbish, we've got the penines on our doorstep which bring beautiful countryside and lovely market towns. I moved from the south up north and wouldn't go back if you paid me.

Like everywhere you have good and bad parts but to say the North is grim, that's ridiculous.

The countryside of the north (including small towns and villages) is utterly wonderful.  The large towns and cities are bloody awful, for the most part.

The countryside of the north (including small towns and villages) is utterly wonderful.  The large towns and cities are bloody awful, for the most part.

The British Countryside is ALL wonderful, North, South, East, West...... I love living in Somerset, can't stay away for long (even though I have lived in America for a few years in the past).....oh, and would move to Australia tomorrow if I could! ;)

In my experience, there are shit hole towns and cities all over the country but luckily I've never had to stay for more than a few days in any of them! One example of a depressing place/places is Chadderton/Oldham, spent a while there for work, had my motor broken into and was also giving up smoking at the same time.... so maybe that didn't help? :shutup:

Archived