IGNORED

The Logic Of A Swindon Town Fan

Mrdc

Sadly for my sins I am currently residing in the cesspit of a town called Swindon.

All the locals are starting to get a little excited about our visit in a couple of weeks time.

I was chatting to an acquittance the other day and amongst his ramblings the other day, his reason for hating us, is that he hates any team that buys success.  Maybe I am missing something but I would hardly describe us as a team that has brought success this season.

At this point another local popped up and said 'Anything below 1st place is failure for Bristol City this season due to your budget seeing as in the eyes of all the media outlets, Bristol City are the only team in League One'

Just thought I would share these snippets of wisdom from our Wiltshire friends

Reasons to hate them....

They constantly harp on about Don Rogers and their one embarassing season in the Premier League.

The fact their fans hate us just as much as their real direct rival, Oxford.

Rory Fallon.

The countless amount of administrations and the Football League just let them get away with it.

The fact they believe they should be in the top half of the Championship.

Their annoying loan system.

They celebrated our relegation in 2013 with a huge announcement over the tannoy whilst we were beaten by Birmingham 1-0. Thats as bad as the sags.

And for comments like that, its just an excuse because they are worried that we may run away with the League. Last season they never said that and we had the same money then.

Sadly for my sins I am currently residing in the cesspit of a town called Swindon.

All the locals are starting to get a little excited about our visit in a couple of weeks time.

I was chatting to an acquittance the other day and amongst his ramblings the other day, his reason for hating us, is that he hates any team that buys success.  Maybe I am missing something but I would hardly describe us as a team that has brought success this season.

At this point another local popped up and said 'Anything below 1st place is failure for Bristol City this season due to your budget seeing as in the eyes of all the media outlets, Bristol City are the only team in League One'

Just thought I would share these snippets of wisdom from our Wiltshire friends

I presume you informed them that our net spend for this season is in the black, we are running at a profit?

How many times has that gutter club gone into administration, been caught swindling the books or employed convicted wife-beaters?

Not defending the swindle argument at all but the reason people harp on about our budget is because people believe that the wages we must be paying the likes of Wade Elliott, Kieran Agard, Luke Freeman, Korey Smith etc (all players that could certainly be pushing for a spot in the Championship) must be more than most league 1 clubs can afford.

I've no idea what wages they are on but I assume that is why people keep saying we're 'big spenders'

Not defending the swindle argument at all but the reason people harp on about our budget is because people believe that the wages we must be paying the likes of Wade Elliott, Kieran Agard, Luke Freeman, Korey Smith etc (all players that could certainly be pushing for a spot in the Championship) must be more than most league 1 clubs can afford.

I've no idea what wages they are on but I assume that is why people keep saying we're 'big spenders'

Just to add a bit more fuel to the fire the same gentleman is convinced that we are paying Agard 20k a week, as he turned down Leeds to join us....

I have no problem with any club 'buying' success. How are lower league clubs going to progress otherwise?

Christ on a bike, we were no different under di Canio.

Does anyone think Bournemouth would be sitting 2nd in the Championship without the Russkie's fortune.

The big advantage you have is your owner is a fan as well as stinking.

Can't think any other club wouldn't wish for that

I have no problem with any club 'buying' success. How are lower league clubs going to progress otherwise?

Christ on a bike, we were no different under di Canio.

Does anyone think Bournemouth would be sitting 2nd in the Championship without the Russkie's fortune.

The big advantage you have is your owner is a fan as well as stinking.

Can't think any other club wouldn't wish for that

I actually just texted him and reminded him of the Di Canio days and his reply was

"We were rightfully hated by most when Paolo was chucking money at the league, it saved the club when he left! We didn't nearly go out of business though as we had very wealthy owners at the time. Even then though our budget was smaller than yours. City's sugar daddy has thrown more millions at it than pretty much any other club and has still not made it to the premiership! I'd much rather have our current model of making the club self sustainable and having young hungry squad. If we challenge for promotion it would be a huge achievement, if you do it's expected!"

If we lose to them god help us, we won't hear the end of it.

The last month or so I have kept saying that if we are still unbeaten by the time we play Swindle, I won't be going because you just know that they'll be the team to end it and they would bloody love it!

Today I got my ticket though...

I can see others might think that given SL. What has been pleasing is in the market we have been at least breaking even.

I do not however have a clue what the P&L of the club is however right now, given wages etc. Must be a lot better than it was, but I would not be surprised if overall we are still at a loss, funded by yours truely.

It's an easy way for any other fans in the league including swindon make themselves feel better. Easy to say " city are top because they have loads of money and we don't" without actually knowing the ins and outs. Swindon obviously hate the fact we are top and therefore, if we beat them they have a get out clause. If they win, they will still go on about it and say " we won and you spent all that money".

Swindon only exists as other than a sleepy hamlet in the Wiltshire plains is because IKB built the GWR to Bristol. Simples. It's an inferiority complex that's lasted years. The Queen refused permission to grant city status and we been a city since 1155. There stuck between Birmingham and Southampton. A nowhere place famous for a defunct brewery, a railway shed (we gotta few good ones mind) an old housing estate and a multi storey car park. What a 'town'.

Swindon only exists as other than a sleepy hamlet in the Wiltshire plains is because IKB built the GWR to Bristol. Simples. It's an inferiority complex that's lasted years. The Queen refused permission to grant city status and we been a city since 1155. There stuck between Birmingham and Southampton. A nowhere place famous for a defunct brewery, a railway shed (we gotta few good ones mind) an old housing estate and a multi storey car park. What a 'town'.

And a roundabout.

Archived