IGNORED

The Logic Of A Swindon Town Fan

Mrdc

Swindon is the armpit of the westcountry, a truly vile and depressing place with a football team to match. And they actually believe that they are bigger and better than us - most of them are still stuck in the 1990s, a decade in which they had some success overshadowed by financial irregularities that culminated in administation in 2000. Unfortunately, they just missed out on being punished for this otherwise they probably would have dropped a lot further than they did.

They can criticise us for spending money all they want, but we are sustainable with our relatively big catchment area and ground development coming up... Unlike them who have had as many administrations as promotions in recent years.

Their team is dangerous, but largely made up of loan signings from other clubs. Its certainly not a sustainable way to progress and should they be promoted, id expect them to have the sort of season Yeovil had last year once all the loan signings went back.

Id love it, LOVE IT if we beat them. Fair play to any city fan travelling to that hole in 2 weeks where no doubt youll be greeted by a load of outstretched arms from gobby teenagers.

Not defending the swindle argument at all but the reason people harp on about our budget is because people believe that the wages we must be paying the likes of Wade Elliott, Kieran Agard, Luke Freeman, Korey Smith etc (all players that could certainly be pushing for a spot in the Championship) must be more than most league 1 clubs can afford.

I've no idea what wages they are on but I assume that is why people keep saying we're 'big spenders'

Our wage bill is subject to the same "fair play" regulations as other L1 clubs.

Our overall spend is limited and whilst we may have some high-earners this explains why we don't have a massive squad.

I actually just texted him and reminded him of the Di Canio days and his reply was

"We were rightfully hated by most when Paolo was chucking money at the league, it saved the club when he left! We didn't nearly go out of business though as we had very wealthy owners at the time. Even then though our budget was smaller than yours. City's sugar daddy has thrown more millions at it than pretty much any other club and has still not made it to the Premier League! I'd much rather have our current model of making the club self sustainable and having young hungry squad. If we challenge for promotion it would be a huge achievement, if you do it's expected!"

Tell him that we comply with the same FFP regulations as Swindle do and remind him that his club signed up to the introduction of FFP!

It's not our fault we have a larger fanbase and thus a higher turnover than them...which allows us to spend more on players!

A computer game who's scouting knowledge is used by lots of clubs, including Everton:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/12/why-clubs-football-manager-scouting-tool

Quote: "each entry providing detailed performance, contract and biographical stats"

Where are they going to get these wage information from? I don't doubt other information could be attained but not that.

Tell him that we comply with the same FFP regulations as Swindle do and remind him that his club signed up to the introduction of FFP!

It's not our fault we have a larger fanbase and thus a higher turnover than them...which allows us to spend more on players!

You beat me to it, exactly what I was going to post.

The more money your club makes the more they can spend on wages, if they had more fans they could pay higher wages!

I used to have the misfortune to have to deliver all around Swindon on a Wednesday afternoon, what a shithole that place is. There was one particular place called Pinehurst, now I've done deliveries to some of the less desirable parts of our fair City, and believe me they're positively prosperous compared to that place.

I was chatting to an acquittance the other day and amongst his ramblings the other day, his reason for hating us, is that he hates any team that buys success.  Maybe I am missing something but I would hardly describe us as a team that has brought success this season.

At this point another local popped up and said 'Anything below 1st place is failure for Bristol City this season due to your budget seeing as in the eyes of all the media outlets, Bristol City are the only team in League One'

He sounds like an anus and i don't mean that in a positive way.

As others have said already, we are subject to the same financial fair play rules as everyone else. This "you're only better than us cuz you've got a millionaire owner" is the kind of desperate bullshit that the Sags have been coming out with for years.

Is it any wonder why swindle is so detested by many.

A strange place full of gormless morons who haven't a clue where they're going hence the endless roundabouts.

They actually believe they're the biggest club in the area when in fact even the 16:53ers are bigger.

Dwindling fanbase, run down outdated dump of a ground and desperate for yet another take over. . They are desperate to play us as it will be their cup final.

With their fantastic fan base they might break 10,000 . . Whoopie

My only recollection of Swindon is Swindon Oasis and I remember it being quite good. Anyone been recently?

Ha ha! that's brings back memories of my childhood used to be the place to go to along with the Tropicana!

Swindon is the armpit of the westcountry, a truly vile and depressing place with a football team to match. And they actually believe that they are bigger and better than us - most of them are still stuck in the 1990s, a decade in which they had some success overshadowed by financial irregularities that culminated in administation in 2000. Unfortunately, they just missed out on being punished for this otherwise they probably would have dropped a lot further than they did.

They can criticise us for spending money all they want, but we are sustainable with our relatively big catchment area and ground development coming up... Unlike them who have had as many administrations as promotions in recent years.

Their team is dangerous, but largely made up of loan signings from other clubs. Its certainly not a sustainable way to progress and should they be promoted, id expect them to have the sort of season Yeovil had last year once all the loan signings went back.

Id love it, LOVE IT if we beat them. Fair play to any city fan travelling to that hole in 2 weeks where no doubt youll be greeted by a load of outstretched arms from gobby teenagers.

So are you saying going into administration is worse than going bankrupt like your good selves in 1982?

Archived