IGNORED

First Division City From 78/79 Season

markyou

Enjoyed that thanks, dominated a decent Bolton side including the likes of Gowling, Worthington, Reaid, McNab, Greaves etc. And great to see two local lads who went to Cotham in the side too.

The only one from Ashton Park that was on the pitch was one of the stretcher bearers :)

Was never going to be good enough, a poor mans Gerry Gow IMO.

Rubbish, the guy was a footballer, more a playmaker than a tough tackler like Gow. We lost him to the game in America because DIcks showed too much loyalty to his favourite group, people like Gow and Tainton played some games where they were clearly not fit. I think Bain was unlucky to play in an era where there was only one sub, he would have got a lot more game time when there were three or more. When he went to the states he was playing in a league with lots of good (admittedly aging) players and was voted player of the season.

Yep I was also at this game , did we not win the corresponding away fixture (opening game of the season) at Burden Park ? With the supermarket behind the goal ?

Also this goes to show what a superb player Norman was

One of the best buys we ever made, went to the Baseball Ground for his 1st match where he received a right ear bashing from the County fans as he had been involved in a tussle with one of the DC players when he was at Leeds and both were sent off ( I think it was Gemmell )

One of the best buys we ever made, went to the Baseball Ground for his 1st match where he received a right ear bashing from the County fans as he had been involved in a tussle with one of the DC players when he was at Leeds and both were sent off ( I think it was Gemmell )

A tussle? Are we talking about the right Norman? :D

The element of truth in your light hearted reply is that Norman did n't do half arsed girly "tussles".

You went to war with Norman if you were his opponent !

To quote Don Revie:

"People say that Norman is a dirty player, but he often comes off the pitch with a couple of bruised and battered legs.

We make him give them back, though."

Rubbish, the guy was a footballer, more a playmaker than a tough tackler like Gow. We lost him to the game in America because DIcks showed too much loyalty to his favourite group, people like Gow and Tainton played some games where they were clearly not fit. I think Bain was unlucky to play in an era where there was only one sub, he would have got a lot more game time when there were three or more. When he went to the states he was playing in a league with lots of good (admittedly aging) players and was voted player of the season.

it's not rubbish it's my opinion and backed by a little more fact than coulda, shoulda, woulda, if he was so good i'm sure another club would have either taken him on or brought him back, BCFC were not the only team there were 91 other clubs.

It was Francis Lee, oldstand.

Quite a punch up, especially the 'second round'. 

it showed a little bit of how good hunter was,40 yard cross field ball with his right foot, [witch was only for standing on!]

For the dirty fantastic tackler he was he never gave away a penalty till he signed for us.

was a lot better player than he ever got credit for!!

He famously gave one away in the match above, although he made it quite clear he felt aggrieved by the decision.

it's not rubbish it's my opinion and backed by a little more fact than coulda, shoulda, woulda, if he was so good i'm sure another club would have either taken him on or brought him back, BCFC were not the only team there were 91 other clubs.

Cheers EMB, you and I agree on a lot of things on here, but we can agree to disagree on this one. As I understand it, Dicks said he wouldn't another player go on loan to the States after JB got seduced by the lifestyle and settled there. In those days I used to watch a lot of reserve games and the teams were often full of well known names (the upside of only one sub) and saw JB run games and look the stand out player week in week out. There was a whole generation that suffered from a lack of first team games because the first team were comparatively young themselves and we didn't sell many players. JB was the most obvious example.

Cheers EMB, you and I agree on a lot of things on here, but we can agree to disagree on this one. As I understand it, Dicks said he wouldn't another player go on loan to the States after JB got seduced by the lifestyle and settled there. In those days I used to watch a lot of reserve games and the teams were often full of well known names (the upside of only one sub) and saw JB run games and look the stand out player week in week out. There was a whole generation that suffered from a lack of first team games because the first team were comparatively young themselves and we didn't sell many players. JB was the most obvious example.

I too watched a lot of reserve games and youth games during that period and knew a girl who went out with JB for a while and you are correct about AD's first team policy, however then much like now every time a squad player is released and moves on permanently to pastures new, quite a few people say things like, that's a mistake, I thought he was a good player, we'll regret this, but I have to say in my 56 years of support Brian Clark is just about the only stand out player in that regard, that did regularly go on to haunt us, but i'm sure there are more.

Archived