IGNORED

Fc City Of Bristol

Eddie Hitler

It is unlcear why a uneccessary alternative brand is required to oversee a club that existed for over a hundred years.

City should be already ran on a Professional basis. Was the five pillars a student thesis!!

I'm surmising, but can only explain the need for the new brand name in an attempt to appeal to cooperate senses.  We need rich people's money flowing into the club (not just on match days) and a modern BS image is deemed more likely to achieve that.   

Pure speculation again, but Bristol City FC as a brand name is not deemed an adequately professional face and has had a reputation of being run by bumbling amateurs (and that's just among City supporters!).  

To me it feels that Bristol City supporters are being expected to negotiate the name Bristol City for the cooperate influence, because the name Bristol City FC isn't deemed good enough in itself.     

Rather than SL having a Road To Damascus moment, I would suggest that he found himself getting involved in more and more sporting organisations around Bristol and it made sense to him to group them together under one overarching brand with each separate team/individual retaining their own identity.

In the early days of Bristol Sport I was very vocal on here about the dangers of Bristol City losing it's identity, but I am personally satisfied that what is happening is in the best interests of Bristol City. The rugby club using Ashton Gate appears to be working better than I thought it would, and would seem to have led to more interest in their fortunes from City fans, with a few becoming regulars at rugby matches now.

When it comes to sponsorship, I am sure there are some deals that will be better sold as encompassing the whole of Bristol Sport (Stadium advertising being more valuable due to more events being held for example), but things like shirt sponsorship etc will probably remain individual to each team. I would have thought that they also have more clout when it comes to merchandising deals or catering for the stadium etc when rugby is involved and not just the football.

I also realise that there is a lot of Bristol Sport branding going about at the moment, I would have thought this is due to two things 1. Getting Bristol Sport established as a name and 2. The stadium rebuild being done under the auspices of Bristol Sport. I would hope that in another 3-4 years once everything is built and the dust has settled, that Bristol Sport will become less visible whilst still being something easily recognisable.

I think now that the only real mistake made was not calling the umbrella group 'Bristol City Sport', which would have given the fans of the majority team in the group the impression that we were indeed the major partners in all this and probably caused less dissent.

It's striking that when you talk about "Bristol Sport", you could replace the words with "Ashton Gate". Well, maybe not so much striking as obvious. I believe that an Ashton Gate company was set up some years ago. Now, with the (very welcome) presence of a prestigious rugby club, its prospects of generating revenue from sponsorship have improved (but not that much, to be honest). After the rebuild, the leisure and event revenue should increase too. Which means that the only reason to have the Bristol Sport brand (and this new tier of management/costs) is to placate the...er...basketball people...?

Very odd. Or very deliberate. 

I'm not the one to answer that, Rich. Not necessary an evil scheme.

An attempt to run sport in Bristol on a more professional basis? I don't think so. I really don't. Where did this ambition suddenly spring from? You have to be fairly gullible to believe that Steve had a moment of enlightenment on a tour around the Nou Camp.

The Barcelona model is based on the idea that they are a mega-buck organisation that runs a football club as well as anyone else in the world. So, as a community, a community of 170,000 members or so, they run other sports. Just for the hell of it. And they make zilch money out of it.

The BS model is the hobbyhorse of one man. An idea he didn't feel worth sharing with the SC&T. When you see the FCB shield at the Nou Camp, you are observing an emblem that bonds over 170,000 people. The BS logo at Ashton Gate is a billionaire's graffitti. Why is he doing it? Somebody should ask him.

I'm sure that most people who are against the Bristol Sport brand are not against the idea of the ground share with the rugby boys, for example. Not so much "don't like change" and "don't like change being managed so poorly".

This could be seen as an opportunity for positive change that has been ruined by one bizarre idea.

Why the obsession with trying to compare Bristol Sport's structure with Barcelona?

You could point to loads of multi-sport umbrella groups that are owned predominantly by one man: SS Lazio and Soviet Dinamo Sports Society (Dynamo Kiev) to name but two...

Why the obsession with trying to compare Bristol Sport's structure with Barcelona?

You could point to loads of multi-sport umbrella groups that are owned predominantly by one man: SS Lazio and Soviet Dinamo Sports Society (Dynamo Kiev) to name but two...

Because it is the on referenced by Mr Lansdown and fans on otib frequently. Bristol Sport's structure is a new unfamiliar oddity. Being able to parallel it would make it easier to understand.

Because it is the on referenced by Mr Lansdown and fans on otib frequently. Bristol Sport's structure is a new unfamiliar oddity. Being able to parallel it would make it easier to understand.

My point is it may be an oddity to us, but it's not elsewhere in the world.

I think Barca is unusual for lots of historic and political reasons in its set up. You aren't going to see a fan-owned Bristol City, so we may as well forget that.

I would welcome more fan involvement in off-the-pitch decision making, of course.

it's a bit like the old days of going to the hairdresser, you pointed to the photo of the style that you wanted but always ended up the proprietors interpretation of that hair style.

I believe the reference referred to the Barca 'model', not mirror image.

My point is it may be an oddity to us, but it's not elsewhere in the world.

BS  is an oddity anywhere in the world. Because it doesn't make sense. Reminds of "Grot" in the Reggie Perrin series, to be honest. Or am I being harsh on Grot?

It was cited in the pitch-side interview with SL before the West Ham game. It is therefore part of BS's media briefing package or whatever. Like eveything to do with BS, it doesn't stand up to a lot of scrutiny. 

it's a bit like the old days of going to the hairdresser, you pointed to the photo of the style that you wanted but always ended up the proprietors interpretation of that hair style.

I believe the reference referred to the Barca 'model', not mirror image.

There were fans who thought BS were there to make the shirts.

Accountants, fans, the SC&T don't understand how the model works, or its stategy, but Bristol Sport are taking over the FC.

There were fans who thought BS were there to make the shirts.

Accountants, fans, the SC&T don't understand how the model works, or its stategy, but Bristol Sport are taking over the FC.

Yet BS are owned by Lansdown who.... has owned the FC for a long time. The difference is corporate structur, that's all.

It occurs to me - and I'm not necessarily talking about you WTMS - that a lot of the enmity towards Bristol Sport comes from a phobia towards the words "marketing" and "accountants".

Well, every business from my 3-man-band to Apple markets itself, and without proper accountancy BCFC would have gone bust many times since 1982.

Because it was SteveL that made the comparison. There is nothing about Bristol Sport which is remotely like the Barcelona model. Whether you think that is good, bad or indifferent, it is worthy of being pointed out.

I think Barca is unusual for lots of historic and political reasons in its set up. You aren't going to see a fan-owned Bristol City, so we may as well forget that.

Post 1982 Bristol City Football Club Ltd was owned by thousands of fans and this continued until less than 10 years ago - we have had this conversation before!

Yet BS are owned by Lansdown who.... has owned the FC for a long time. The difference is corporate structur, that's all.

It occurs to me - and I'm not necessarily talking about you WTMS - that a lot of the enmity towards Bristol Sport comes from a phobia towards the words "marketing" and "accountants".

I am an accountant and I have a phobia towards the Bristol Sport brand because, so far as Bristol City FC is concerned, it adds nothing which could not be achieved without it. In fact so far the emergence of Bristol Sport has coincided with many negative incidents at a time when all should be positive arising from what's happening on the pitch. 

As has been pointed out major fundamental decisions - dilution of shareholder (fan) rights, transfer of stadium from football club, football club subservient to an alien brand - have been made without reference to the fan base, which is just one aspect which makes comparison with the Barcelona model such a misnomer.

The influence which a group of people, with little or no background of association with Bristol City FC, has over our football club, is baffling, and is worthy of questioning until an answer is given which appears to have real as opposed to imagined benefits for Bristol City FC.

I am an accountant and I have a phobia towards the Bristol Sport brand because, so far as Bristol City FC is concerned, it adds nothing which could not be achieved without it. In fact so far the emergence of Bristol Sport has coincided with many negative incidents at a time when all should be positive arising from what's happening on the pitch. 

But are you a billionaire, Nick?  Because uncle Steve is you see, and I don't think he accumulated such a large amount of dosh in such a short period of time, and co-built a financial services empire, by making pointless decisions about how he spends his money.

It won't be "pointless". Now whether you think his decision making has some sinister intent is another matter.

Of course, we could also add that Bristol Sport's emergence coincides with so many positives - like having a stadium rebuild, finances starting to straighten out, huge success on the pitch and a great team spirit. Or we could focus on negatives....

But are you a billionaire, Nick?  Because uncle Steve is you see, and I don't think he accumulated such a large amount of dosh in such a short period of time, and co-built a financial services empire, by making pointless decisions about how he spends his money.

In financial terms, uncle Steve has also been a fairly disastrous chairman of BCFC. Care to name one who has lost so much money? Or, indeed, one who has made so many poor management recruitment decisions?

The argument that, just because he made a billion elsewhere he is above scrutiny, is frankly pathetic.

As for an aversion to marketing, I believe it is the exact opposite. Any team of people standing up in front of a panel of investors putting forward the idea that, instead of maintaining BCFC and the Ashton Gate company, City should go out and buy a worthless basketball team, pretend it has a multi-sport strategy and launch a pointless, costly, conflict-ridden brand, would be laughed out of the room and probably get a kick up the backside on the way.

In financial terms, uncle Steve has also been a fairly disastrous chairman of BCFC. Care to name one who has lost so much money? Or, indeed, one who has made so many poor management recruitment decisions?

The argument that, just because he made a billion elsewhere he is above scrutiny, is frankly pathetic.

As for an aversion to marketing, I believe it is the exact opposite. Any team of people standing up in front of a panel of investors putting forward the idea that, instead of maintaining BCFC and the Ashton Gate company, City should go out and buy a worthless basketball team, pretend it has a multi-sport strategy and launch a pointless, costly, conflict-ridden brand, would be laughed out of the room and probably get a kick up the backside on the way.

What is "frankly pathetic" are whinging posts about two small letters on a free scarf.

Back to your points, such that they are. You'll be aware that the vast majority of football clubs lose money - and that this process has accelerated greatly in the last 15 years due to the game's ludicrous wage inflation.

Lots of medium-sized, relatively poorly supported clubs such as ours have gone tits up in this time - or survived only by financial jiggery pokery like our moonraking friends.

Lansdown's largesse is the reason we didn't - and why we haven't become a perpetually struggling laughing stock, like the Blue Few. It's also why we are now able to update the club's unfit-for-purpose stadium and the general prehistoric structure of BCFC.

Ultimately it's his money "wasted" although I'm sure he'll appreciate your concern for it. He has a few bob left over, I reckon ;-)

So, Lansdown - not football football's most successful owner, but certainly not disastrous". And the best is probably yet to come.

Regarding Bristol Sport, I feel I'm going around in circles with some people here, so I'll leave you with one thought. It isn't going away. Lansdown's not suddenly going to do a u-turn with how he wants to structure his sporting interests. So I'd suggest it's best to get used to it and engage constructively. That or go off and form the pub team this thread was on about.

Well, every business from my 3-man-band to Apple markets itself, and without proper accountancy BCFC would have gone bust many times since 1982.

There is a world of difference between making the club shirts and running the FC. Professional people do not understand how Bristol Sport and its strategy works, then there is the rest of us.

Some of us may have partners who are accountants!!

Phobias towards marketing. Marketing is good or bad at each FC depending on your view. The biggest clubs in the World market themselves heavily be they Bayern or Barcelona. Barcerlona are "more than a club" but at its core it is all about Barcelona. The visions there are clear and unmistakable, with no alien concepts taking over the FC's.

Mr Billingham meanwhile in public talks about the Bristol Sport brand and the Bristol City brand as separate entities, but is unable to explain why the Bristol Sport brand needs to be so visible or separate.

Bristol Sport are vague. Lots of brand, brand, brand ... People create their own enmity.

It isn't going away. Lansdown's not suddenly going to do a u-turn with how he wants to structure his sporting interests. So I'd suggest it's best to get used to it and engage constructively. That or go off and form the pub team this thread was on about.

What really is the point of this forum then? To praise absolutely everything that SL does? To boast about where we've worked, where we've travelled? To belittle people's opinions? To refuse to engage in critical thought processes?

When did this "morons only" ruling get passed? Is it applicable to the forum only or the club (if a "club" actually still exists) as a whole?

SL's actions have always been placed under scrutiny in this forum and, hopefully, always will be. If you've got to the point where your only arguments are "SL is infallible" and "if you don't like it, go and start a pub team", I would suggest that you have not gone round in circles but rather that you have backed yourself into a corner.

Why? Because you have run out of arguments to justify why, all of a sudden, the five pillars were thrown out of the window and this new "multi-sport" organisation idea was launched (with no consultation with stakeholders: wonderful change management there) that makes no sense whatsoever unless it is seen for what it is: a complete and utter sham.

Possible reason for "Bristol Sport" #1:

In contrast to the Barcelona model, the sporting teams involved (Bristol Rugby, Flyers, Academy, etc..) already had their own identities.

SL, desiring to bring the clubs together somehow, umms and ahhs about whether to "franchise" these other teams with the Bristol City name. Ultimately, he decides that he wouldn't want to alter the fans' sense of identity.

Therefore, he creates a separate entity that can have the desired result of bringing the clubs together, without affecting any of their identities.

Due to this approach, in order to promote the fact that the clubs have been brought together in someway, he feels that he needs to actively "brand" this new entity.

In attempting to avoid destroying anyone's identity, SL is then accused of destroying everyone's identity.

I dunno, maybe not, but it's a perfectly feasible explanation.

How would Bristol Rugby fans have felt if suddenly they had to change their name?

How would we have felt if SL decided to push Bristol Rugby as the main players, resulting in us having to drop the City from our name?

There may be flaws in his approach - democratic elements etc. - which are perfectly valid concerns (although which also existed pre-Bristol Sport), but this new structure does not restrict the ability of fans to engage constructively and aim to alter these elements.

I also see how the sudden introduction of it, without pre-warning or consultation, may have caused some consternation, but that feeling should not affect the analysis of its (potential) success. It also does not mean that the fans would not have supported it had there been full consultation before implementation.

So is Steve Lansdown, so am I and so, probably, are quite a lot of other forum members.  And I expect we all have different opinions along the spectrum of whether BS is a good idea or not; the thing is, which you should know if you have any business nous, there are rarely any completely right or wrong answers in business.  

Why do you think being an accountant is relevant, some are the proverbial bean counters and some are successful businessmen?

I have no idea which you are.

But are you a billionaire, Nick?  

Well obviously you know I'm not - but the point is you were suggesting people questioning Bristol Sport had a phobia to accountants which doesn't stand up to scrutiny since I question the Bristol Sport concept and I am an accountant. I fail to see the point of the Bristol Sport brand (though see below) and hence I question it.

Lansdown's largesse is the reason we didn't - and why we haven't become a perpetually struggling laughing stock, like the Blue Few. It's also why we are now able to update the club's unfit-for-purpose stadium and the general prehistoric structure of BCFC.

Ultimately it's his money "wasted" although I'm sure he'll appreciate your concern for it. He has a few bob left over, I reckon ;-)

So, Lansdown - not football football's most successful owner, but certainly not disastrous". And the best is probably yet to come.

Yes its his money wasted. In one sense I applaud him for trying but on the other hand I remain of the view that one person should not exert such control over a football club. The stadium was going to happen with or without Steve, financed in various ways, including money which the club already had access to.

Possible reason for "Bristol Sport" #1:

In contrast to the Barcelona model, the sporting teams involved (Bristol Rugby, Flyers, Academy, etc..) already had their own identities.

SL, desiring to bring the clubs together somehow, umms and ahhs about whether to "franchise" these other teams with the Bristol City name. Ultimately, he decides that he wouldn't want to alter the fans' sense of identity.

Therefore, he creates a separate entity that can have the desired result of bringing the clubs together, without affecting any of their identities.

Due to this approach, in order to promote the fact that the clubs have been brought together in someway, he feels that he needs to actively "brand" this new entity.

In attempting to avoid destroying anyone's identity, SL is then accused of destroying everyone's identity.

There may be flaws in his approach - democratic elements etc. - which are perfectly valid concerns (although which also existed pre-Bristol Sport), but this new structure does not restrict the ability of fans to engage constructively and aim to alter these elements.

I also see how the sudden introduction of it, without pre-warning or consultation, may have caused some consternation, but that feeling should not affect the analysis of its (potential) success. It also does not mean that the fans would not have supported it had there been full consultation before implementation.

To be fair, that is a plausible explanation.

So is Steve Lansdown, so am I and so, probably, are quite a lot of other forum members.  And I expect we all have different opinions along the spectrum of whether BS is a good idea or not; the thing is, which you should know if you have any business nous, there are rarely any completely right or wrong answers in business.  

Why do you think being an accountant is relevant, some are the proverbial bean counters and some are successful businessmen?

Not really sure what point you are making - being an accountant is irrelevant, except that Red-Robbo thought maybe it was, hence my reply to demonstrate it isn't. Its not about men in suits for me, its about something happening which I do not understand and do not see the benefits of, therefore questions are legitimate. In response to these questions, there is a fundamental problem at the moment, in that the person who could answer and allay concerns is quiet on the issue.

So is Steve Lansdown, so am I and so, probably, are quite a lot of other forum members. And I expect we all have different opinions along the spectrum of whether BS is a good idea or not; the thing is, which you should know if you have any business nous, there are rarely any completely right or wrong answers in business.

Is this a game of whose spreadsheet is biggest?

Mr NJ's posts are informative.

They contain terrible things like facts.

And that's a point.

In a startlingly quick time its been preaching of the five pillars to five points of concern to what the bloody hell is Bristol Sport.

Mr NJ's has attempted to make some sense out of it.

And that makes him a terrible man using terrible facts in some's book.

Is this a game of whose spreadsheet is biggest?

Mr NJ's posts are informative.

They contain terrible things like facts.

And that's a point.

In a startlingly quick time its been preaching of the five pillars to five points of concern to what the bloody hell is Bristol Sport.

Mr NJ's has attempted to make some sense out of it.

And that makes him a terrible man using terrible facts in some's book.

Nj is against SL/JL, was against AV, he's against BS and now seems to be against the way AG will be decorated, apart from the 11 players who take to the pitch there's not an awful lot left.

Question, does he or anybody else believe if we were under different ownership or owned by the fans that it would suddenly become a peaceful utopia where everybody would be happy?.

Nj is against SL/JL, was against AV, he's against BS and now seems to be against the way AG will be decorated, apart from the 11 players who take to the pitch there's not an awful lot left.

Question, does he or anybody else believe if we were under different ownership or owned by the fans that it would suddenly become a peaceful utopia where everybody would be happy?.

Question, does he or anybody else believe if fans were more involved in decision making that did not affect the financial stability of the FC, it would be greeted as a positive change by fans?

Yerp.

100%

On the Whicker man I go with NJ.

Question, does he or anybody else believe if fans were more involved in decision making that did not affect the financial stability of the FC, it would be greeted as a positive change by fans?

Yerp.

100%

On the Whicker man I go with NJ.

Mate we are 10 points clear at the top of the league and still there are negative posts almost on daily basis about the playing side of things.

Even if your vision came to fruition NJ wouldn't agree with everything because they might not suit his vision and there would be NJ clones who would say that they were vehemently opposed to the new direction.

Mate we are 10 points clear at the top of the league and still there are negative posts almost on daily basis about the playing side of things.

Even if your vision came to fruition NJ wouldn't agree with everything because they might not suit his vision and there would be NJ clones who would say that they were vehemently opposed to the new direction.

Don't write about formations or the rest.

"Oooh oooh Jet should be played there or there, LAZY, SLOW, GEDDIN JET ..!"

Mr Cotterill won't read it either.

Don't read it, don't want to.

See this BS thing I don't get it.

I don't get or feel it.

That goes for a growing number around the ground matchday.

You have to be a sleuth to know what is going on and that is about as inviting as a call for a package holiday in Syria to dimwits like me.

But to me a club that does not run itself isn't really a club anymore and that appears to be where things are heading ten points are not.

Doesn't have to be like that at all.

BS, Uncle Steve can leave some of it under the influence of fans who watched and will if it happens again City in back alleys and muddy pastures of the now turd division.

Talking of accountants, btw this totally irrelevant, but me laugh at the time. In a sales meeting a few years ago, a colleague of mine was challenged about a decision he had made in conjunction with one of the company accountants. Our Sales Director piped up, 'don't worry about what he says,its his job to count the bodies, after the war!'

"NJ is against SL" - no, I have consistently said that SL is a decent chap but I am against one person exerting control over a community asset and I am against the way in which the club and stadium ownership has been taken from the thousands that previously owned it.

"NJ is against JL" - no, I have consistently said that Jon is a decent lad but I thought the notion of such a person with virtually no experience being made MD of a business was ridiculous and I thought the 5 pillars was an embarrassing schoolboy project gone wrong. That the initially released version was exposed as being inconsistent with what was stated made this even more apparent.

"NJ was against AV" - yes and I was in a minority who correctly disagreed with SL when he said Ashton Gate was not financially viable. In the event a U-turn was made and the majority of fans are happy that we are staying in the traditional vibrant heartland. So your point is?

"NJ is against BS" - a sweeping statement which does not encapsulate the more pertinent fact that I question what benefit it will have for Bristol City and particularly question why a group of people with little or no previous Bristol City connection are effectively running our club and the apparent confusion and dissatisfaction among some of your fellow fans which appears to have arisen from this.

You are a buffoon with an agenda in relation to me - I have seen but not commented on other pathetic posts in other threads - which worries me not one jot but at least try to make your posts factually accurate.

I am an accountant and I have a phobia towards the Bristol Sport brand because, so far as Bristol City FC is concerned, it adds nothing which could not be achieved without it.

I am not an accountant and have a phobia towards accountants.

My business philosophy has always been that a bean counter should never be left in total control of any company. This is because accountants are just historians who try to forecast what will happen but based only on what has gone before.

Thus SL is being an entrepreneur not an accountant and building something new that is loosely similar to FCB.

SL is the best thing that has happened in Bristol sport for a long long time.

"NJ is against SL" - no, I have consistently said that SL is a decent chap but I am against one person exerting control over a community asset and I am against the way in which the club and stadium ownership has been taken from the thousands that previously owned it.

"NJ is against JL" - no, I have consistently said that Jon is a decent lad but I thought the notion of such a person with virtually no experience being made MD of a business was ridiculous and I thought the 5 pillars was an embarrassing schoolboy project gone wrong. That the initially released version was exposed as being inconsistent with what was stated made this even more apparent.

"NJ was against AV" - yes and I was in a minority who correctly disagreed with SL when he said Ashton Gate was not financially viable. In the event a U-turn was made and the majority of fans are happy that we are staying in the traditional vibrant heartland. So your point is?

"NJ is against BS" - a sweeping statement which does not encapsulate the more pertinent fact that I question what benefit it will have for Bristol City and particularly question why a group of people with little or no previous Bristol City connection are effectively running our club and the apparent confusion and dissatisfaction among some of your fellow fans which appears to have arisen from this.

You are a buffoon with an agenda in relation to me - I have seen but not commented on other pathetic posts in other threads - which worries me not one jot but at least try to make your posts factually accurate.

Ah bless and now a persecution complex to boot as well the personal insults, you could be a UKIP candidate, hold on don't vote.

There is a world of difference between making the club shirts and running the FC. Professional people do not understand how Bristol Sport and its strategy works, then there is the rest of us.

Some of us may have partners who are accountants!!

Phobias towards marketing. Marketing is good or bad at each FC depending on your view. The biggest clubs in the World market themselves heavily be they Bayern or Barcelona. Barcerlona are "more than a club" but at its core it is all about Barcelona. The visions there are clear and unmistakable, with no alien concepts taking over the FC's.

Mr Billingham meanwhile in public talks about the Bristol Sport brand and the Bristol City brand as separate entities, but is unable to explain why the Bristol Sport brand needs to be so visible or separate.

Bristol Sport are vague. Lots of brand, brand, brand ... People create their own enmity.

As you know WTMS, I agree with 90% of your posts and I agree with this. Bristol Sport's role in club governance should not be vague. It should be spelt out clearly. And there should be transparency about who takes decisions.

Archived