IGNORED

Bristol City: We're In The Market For A Top Goalscorer, Says Chairman Keith Dawe

spudski

Agreed. But this is Bristol City and our record over the years on big money players is atrocious.

But since Keith Burt arrived our signings have been, with very few exceptions, exemplary.

If we went for a big money signing now, I would expect us to have a far, far better chance of getting it right than before.

Although it may depend on where SC goes for his holidays.......

I love JET and am gutted that a genius like that couldn't get a regular game at City but I've come to totally respect and admire SC's and KB's judgement and player selection.

The reason that Kieran Agard, although not the perfect article was preferred is that, as an example at Chesterfield, he had the strength, speed and determination to take the ball from our area to the opposition area, then fight like f for the ball even when he's knocked over, then get up with it and lay off a pass to Freeman from which Luke should have scored. And again against Swindon his pressing with Wilbs and defending from the front was a huge factor in us beating those cheating sods. Plus he's come up with 14 goals while missing a quarter of the season!

SC and KB will go for players with that level of guts and team ethos as well as having proven goal-scoring ability.

Last time we were promoted scoring 63 goals with a +24 GD

This season we scored 96 and GD of +58

We desperately needed a quality striker last time as we struggled big time to score much more than 50 each season. But we are in a much better place this time round and I'm sure SC will recruit what is required rather than go gung ho for an out and out proven championship striker costing millions, despite what Mr. Dawe might say. A young, hungry, EPL player who can't get a game in the Premier League either permanently or on a season long loan would fit the bill.

Wasn't our top scorer Jevons with something like 7 though? And in the play off season didn't we finish with a GD of +1?

Agreed. But this is Bristol City and our record over the years on big money players is atrocious. You could even say of last summer's recruitment Agard has probably been worst value for money.

Maynard is perhaps the best example of us spending big wisely and even then we only sold him for 60% ish of what we paid for him.

I really don't think we need to go out and spend big this sumemr, plenty of options out there if we're shrewd.

Agards reported fee 600k ish

Goals 14

Cost per goal 42k

If every goal cost 42k and you need 90 say to get into the playoffs

3.4 mil. You'd pay that.

Strange logic granted

Agard needs to be given a chance at this level.

His work ethic, chasing down the last man and tracking back is worth an extra man at times.

But we do need to spend some decent money to bring in a proven goal scorer.

Wilbraham isn't going to get any younger or faster.

Why does it have to be a big money signing ?

No guarantee of success.

Been there before, loads of times.

We have a team with goals in them - 96 of 'em this year, why do we need a "big money" striker ?

It doesn't. I was pointing out that if we did, the appointment of Keith Burt means it is less likely to be money pissed away.

• Admin

Agreed. But this is Bristol City and our record over the years on big money players is atrocious. You could even say of last summer's recruitment Agard has probably been worst value for money.

Maynard is perhaps the best example of us spending big wisely and even then we only sold him for 60% ish of what we paid for him.

I really don't think we need to go out and spend big this sumemr, plenty of options out there if we're shrewd.

I take your "we're Bristol City & we always spend our money poorly" & raise you a "we're Bristol City & we don't win league titles".

Well we have ditched Jet and told all the other clubs we are looking for a striker. I expect Cotterill/Burts phones will be busy, some clubs will be fearing we will swoop, others raising their prices up and thinking of a big payday.

I think though the target has already been identified and the deals almost done...so who is out there stalling over signing a new contract?

Malone only signed for Cardiff in January! Completely unrealistic.

I didn't say it was going to happen, but he is a player I rate, hence, "I would love to see". 

I would also love to see my penis grow to the size of JETS black mamba, is that going to happen, probably not.  But it was a good chance to let your contract knowledge shine, which is good. 

I didn't say it was going to happen, but he is a player I rate, hence, "I would love to see".

I would also love to see my penis grow to the size of JETS black mamba, is that going to happen, probably not. But it was a good chance to let your contract knowledge shine, which is good.

96096f8b16f8a7c78dfc1bb9260b72b6.jpg

We prob have the player we want and are just waiting for the window to reopen

Since cotts has been here we've been extremely proactive on the transfer front,

We had most of our players before our tour of Botswana last season

Agreed, especially with promotion tied up so soon, i would be amazed if the list wasnt drawn up and contact made. I would also guess that the matt smith deal wasnt already done too.

We have already seen that Cotts is the master of forward planning/preparation.

Archived