IGNORED

Bristol City: We're In The Market For A Top Goalscorer, Says Chairman Keith Dawe

spudski

He is my namesake, and yet am I the only one who's not fussed about signing matt smith. I always got the feeling he thought he was too big for us. Scored some goals yer, but take out the Gillingham fixtures and it wasn't amazing. He turned us into a lump it in the box team. I like the creative (freeman) style.

Did he ?

I must have missed those games.

Of course he didn't. We've played a fairly direct style all season and Smith, like Wilbraham, is a good fit for that style.

Freeman, besides many other things, is able to get around the strikers and play off them.

For an example of that, watch the first goal away at Doncaster: 

Smith isn't playing in that game, but Wilbraham and Agard are. The ball is played long to Agard, who controls it superbly then lays it off to Wilbraham, who, via a slice of luck, sets Freeman away to score.

That goal is a good representation of how City have played under Cotterill: they get the ball out of defence quickly, but have players in the final third who can win it, hold it, and use it effectively.

To play a direct style in this manner is no bad thing at all. Southampton have been winning plaudits for their style of play in the Premier League, yet they play more long balls than all but the relegation candidates and notorious long-ball teams (see: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31428316 )

He is my namesake, and yet am I the only one who's not fussed about signing matt smith. I always got the feeling he thought he was too big for us. Scored some goals yer, but take out the Gillingham fixtures and it wasn't amazing. He turned us into a lump it in the box team. I like the creative (freeman) style.

I'm no more than 50/50 on Smith.

Jet had a huge influence on Matt Smith's success and as we all know he won't be here to help him impress.

Don't forget all the loan signings Cotts. made to keep us up, and how his mind quickly moved on to other players once the job was done.

I expect Smith is similar to Wade Elliott in that respect though and may well become a permanent signing if Fulham are amenable and wages aren't too absurd. They may well be.

I certainly won't be bothered if we don't sign him. There are no doubt gems out there known to Keith Burt and Cotts., perhaps more mobile, who most of us won't even have considered who may be a more suitable fit for the club and team in the Championship than Matt Smith.

Jet had a huge influence on Matt Smith's success and as we all know he won't be here to help him impress.

While that's true it's not to say his success would be hindered without JET. He did well at Leeds last season and seems to have been a hit alonside McCormack since he's been back.

:shutup:

I read today on the bbc website that le fondre is expected to leave cardiff this summer, you would have thought that his name would be on a list of possible targets, do you think this could be an option? Presumably he would cost at least 1 million, and bolton are supposed to be keen as he started scoring goals for them while on loan.

Archived