IGNORED

Transfer Secrets Revealed

I'm not sure that's quite right.

The reality is that people who do get given information and news before everyone else keep their trap shut. Because, if they didn't, they'd soon be back to finding stuff out when everyone else does.

Pardon my tangent but what I find both curious and amusing is the way the club plays the local newspaper. They seem to have them exactly where they want them and, while that's quite funny, it's actually not particularly healthy from an objectivity point of view in the long run.

Quite understandable when said newspaper is a couple load of shite...

Pardon my tangent but what I find both curious and amusing is the way the club plays the local newspaper. They seem to have them exactly where they want them and, while that's quite funny, it's actually not particularly healthy from an objectivity point of view in the long run.

Presuming you are a journalist - do the clubs still need the local press as much as they used to? So many ways of getting the info out to fans now, aren't they better off starving the local journo's and directing people to the official website, twitter, facebook, instagram etc and get the info direct from the horses mouth, exactly how they want us to read it, without someone else putting a spin on it?

I miss the days of picking up a paper and actually reading something you haven't seen 50 times online for the last 24 hours already, but, sadly, I think the ship has sailed on those days

The reality is that people who do get given information and news before everyone else keep their trap shut. Because, if they didn't, they'd soon be back to finding stuff out when everyone else does.

Yet the Clubs own website has a 'today's press talk' section, updated everyday...almost condoning most of the rubbish written in them.

And isn't it great because of that? I hate being told a name and waiting 3 or 4 days for the obvious signing. JK was on twitter at lunchtime, provided us all with an afternoons entertainment on here and signed before I'd eaten my dinner, got little one off to sleep, watered the garden and had a cuppa. The way it should be

ITK posters are all very well letting me know the players we are about to sign.

But what I really want advance information on is match day scores.

Surely someone has a source and is willing to share? I could make some money that way at the bookies, and save some money by not needing to go to the match.

If the local paper wasn't renowned for shit stirring then both clubs wouldn't keep them in the dark over many a thing,

ITK posters are all very well letting me know the players we are about to sign.

But what I really want advance information on is match day scores.

Surely someone has a source and is willing to share? I could make some money that way at the bookies, and save some money by not needing to go to the match.

I agree. All these +1 channels on TV that show things an hour later are all well and good, but what we really need is Sky Sports -1.

As soon as someone invents that, we can clean up.

Presuming you are a journalist - do the clubs still need the local press as much as they used to? So many ways of getting the info out to fans now, aren't they better off starving the local journo's and directing people to the official website, twitter, facebook, instagram etc and get the info direct from the horses mouth, exactly how they want us to read it, without someone else putting a spin on it?

I miss the days of picking up a paper and actually reading something you haven't seen 50 times online for the last 24 hours already, but, sadly, I think the ship has sailed on those days

You make some really good points. While I don't work in local news, I do think the role of the local media remains hugely important.

From the club's point of view, simply put, it's free and pretty significant advertising space. That's partly because the breadth of coverage a local news outlet can provide versus a national news outlet remains unparalleled - I would just suggest the particular local newspaper covering our team isn't very good. And that's also why, as another poster suggested above, the club is able to have such a tight grip on its output.

I do reckon local radio do a good job, mind you, given certain budgetary constraints. I think fans would miss it more than they realise if it was to disappear.

Either way, one thing that is almost certain to disappear is the physical copy of a newspaper. As you say, I think the ship has sailed for good there!

Yet the Clubs own website has a 'today's press talk' section, updated everyday...almost condoning most of the rubbish written in them.

Absolutely - although that undoubtedly acts as a space filler, nothing more.

You make some really good points. While I don't work in local news, I do think the role of the local media remains hugely important.

From the club's point of view, simply put, it's free and pretty significant advertising space. That's partly because the breadth of coverage a local news outlet can provide versus a national news outlet remains unparalleled - I would just suggest the particular local newspaper covering our team isn't very good. And that's also why, as another poster suggested above, the club is able to have such a tight grip on its output.

I do reckon local radio do a good job, mind you, given certain budgetary constraints. I think fans would miss it more than they realise if it was to disappear.

Either way, one thing that is almost certain to disappear is the physical copy of a newspaper. As you say, I think the ship has sailed for good there!

I dread the day when there are no newspapers you can scan the front page of when filling with petrol or walking into the supermarket. I honestly can't remember the last time I bought a paper during the week. If I've got a quiet Sunday I love to pick through The Times, but 80% of it goes straight into the recycling! News, sport get read cover to cover

I agree with the radio, I have one on pretty much non stop at home. I would miss local radio, but only for sports

One thing we all seem to agree on, the EP is an awful rag - so I don't blame the club one bit in keeping them out of the loop, but I do regret the demise

1. if we don't make signings we will not do well

2. if we do not do well we will either;

a) go down and lose money

b) panic buy and lose money

this is awful for the club, need players asap

Whilst getting players ASAP would work wonders for our collective anxiety, what we really need is the right players to come in by the end of the transfer window and sufficient players to come in between now and Saturday week for us to compete in our first few games.  The current situation is a worry but the most important thing is how the squad looks on 31st August.

The OP far to sensible to post in the summer.

However since reading "big time charlies" I keep seeing Jordan ( Katie Price)  in my mind :shocking:

I dread the day when there are no newspapers you can scan the front page of when filling with petrol or walking into the supermarket. I honestly can't remember the last time I bought a paper during the week. If I've got a quiet Sunday I love to pick through The Times, but 80% of it goes straight into the recycling! News, sport get read cover to cover

I agree with the radio, I have one on pretty much non stop at home. I would miss local radio, but only for sports

One thing we all seem to agree on, the EP is an awful rag - so I don't blame the club one bit in keeping them out of the loop, but I do regret the demise

Agreed, and what a massive shame.

As a youth/ young man I was just about addicted to a daily fix of the back page of the EP 3*, and would even scour the 'late news' running along the bottom just in case there were any very late developments. I wouldn't go a day without getting hold of a copy or at least flicking through it in the newsagents.

Many a time the first news of an exciting City 'swoop' - or disappointing departure - would come as a complete surprise simply by turning the paper over. What followed was proper in depth reporting.

It wasn't just the sport either, the whole paper was well written, full of interesting local and national news and not sensationalist in any way.  

Then there was the Saturday Green'un when the local shop was packed by ten to six with dozens eagerly awaiting the delivery van.

Haven't bought an EP for many, many years now but still can't resist a sneaky peep in the supermarket.

It's truly atrocious by comparison these days - as far as football reporting goes I'm sure Peter Godsiff  (and even Robin 'Rovers' Perry) would be rightly appalled.

Good post..... But was David James such a bad signing???

Personally I think not... But we can debate

Absolutely amazed no-one else has bitten on this...

One of the worst, if not THE worst, signings in the history of this football club.

So yes, some is bollox....and some is smoke and mirrors...but don't discount everything. :thumbsup:

Sorry to edit your post, Spudski- my comment would be that I don't discount everything. Some posts are delusional and just are contrary to everything we learn from BS3.

There are going to be some who are marginally ITK in that they see someone turn up for a meeting or medical but at this stage we are only hours away from all being ITK- it's the " player X is signing next week/month" which I have issue with. The many posts re Matt Smith/Done deal which turn out to be utter utter rubbish.

I love getting an alert from BCFC to say a player has signed cos I then know it's a done deal not a possibility who ends up signing for Aston Villa etc!

It's truly atrocious by comparison these days - as far as football reporting goes I'm sure Peter Godsiff (and even Robin 'Rovers' Perry) would be rightly appalled, Indeed, as a writer myself & remembering Godsiffs eloquent match reports that totally mirrored my recollections of the game, we can only feel nostgic for a seemingly ' lost art' ....

It's truly atrocious by comparison these days - as far as football reporting goes I'm sure Peter Godsiff (and even Robin 'Rovers' Perry) would be rightly appalled, Indeed, as a writer myself & remembering Godsiffs eloquent match reports that totally mirrored my recollections of the game, we can only feel nostgic for a seemingly ' lost art' ....

How true. Peter Godsiff an erudite sports writer par excellence

"Atyeo answers his critics"  etcc.

difficult to imagine anything conquerable coming off a regional football writer's computer keyboard 

Archived