IGNORED

Just Back From the Game

And Its Smith

That was one crazy game of football.  There seems to be a lot of differing views of how the game panned out and what we deserved from it.  Here is my take:

Brighton started extremely well, playing a high pressing 4-4-2 with our midfield three being dominated by their two which ultimately resulted in Brighton having a lot of joy down both flanks.  From the off it was like an onslaught on our goal and only poor finishing from them kept the game scoreless.  Flint was being given a torrid time by Baldock's pace and trickery and Brighton didn't allow our creative players any time on the ball.  Freeman was being closed down so quickly when he got it. 

They missed a free header, had a few shots wide, smashed one straight at Fielding after we p!ssed around with it at the back and Ayling cleared off the line superbly well.

And then we scored!  It was at the other end of the ground but looked like a fantastic volley from Williams.  I don't think anyone could believe we had taken the lead.  As the half went on we managed to get a little bit more on the ball.  Freeman found a tiny bit more space and Bennett was looking quite threatening down the right.  Kodjia got more into the game and looked bright every time he got the ball.  

We went in at half time not knowing how we were winning.

The second half started in much the same vein and they equalised quite quickly.  Flint was still struggling and it looked like his fault for the goal (Again it was at the other end).  

But then they sat back a bit, maybe they tired from the constant pressing, I'm not sure.  And we started to create chances ourselves.  Kodjia smashed one into the bottom corner but was marginally offside.  We then should have had a penalty.  Stonewall penalty for me.  If Freeman doesnt get tripped then he has a free shot at goal from 10 yards out so I don't believe he dived.  

Then Kodjia missed the clean through and Wilbraham missed a free header from 10 yards.  Both of them should have scored.  If either of them goes in then maybe we win the game.  Then they go straight up the other end and Zamora scores.  

After that we result to long ball after long ball and don't really create anything. 

I have heard that Cotterill said we deserved to win.  I have briefly read a couple of people on here say we deserved the win.  I would say a point at the very most.  I don't see how you can create 4 good chances and say we deserved to win when they created 8 or 9.  It is true that 90% of their good play came in the first hour but even after that they had a couple of chances.  

For me, the Brighton display up until 60 minutes was the best I have seen a team play against us for a few years now. 

Just want to finish up by saying that I love this team.  I love their spirit and how they throw themselves in front of crosses and shots.  I left the ground feeling very proud and hoping that their ability and spirit will be enough in the end.

Fielding - 7 - strangely, considering how many chances they created he didnt have too much to do as a lot of the shots went wide.  Handled pretty well.

Bennett - 7 - started poorly against their young winger but then started to cope well.  Did well getting forward when he could and we didnt look the same when he went off.

Ayling - 9 - MOM - assured in defence, miracle goal line clearance and very good on the ball

Flint - 5 - really struggled today as mentioned.  Didn't look sure of himself against Baldock at all

Baker - 7- wholehearted display

Williams - 8 - great goal and superb defensive display.  Couldn't get forward much but threw himself into everything at the back.

Pack - 7 - I am one of the fans who isn't a huge fan of Pack but he did well tonight in front of the defence making tackles and was good on the ball

Smith - 7 - similar to Pack really in that he wasnt allowed to get forward but did the defensive stuff well

Freeman - 7 - was marked very well and came into the game more as it went on.  Was our second best outlet . 

Kodjia - 8 - if he could finish he would be worth £10m+.  Time after time he would get the ball with nothing on and make something happen.  Love watching this guy.  Yes he missed a clean through but 10 minutes earlier he had smashed one in when neither he nor the keeper knew he was offside.  Brighton really struggling with him tonight

Wilbraham - 6  - won lots of flick ons and held the ball up well.  tough task for him tonight as we didn't have much of the ball for large periods.  

That was one crazy game of football.  There seems to be a lot of differing views of how the game panned out and what we deserved from it.  Here is my take:

Brighton started extremely well, playing a high pressing 4-4-2 with our midfield three being dominated by their two which ultimately resulted in Brighton having a lot of joy down both flanks.  From the off it was like an onslaught on our goal and only poor finishing from them kept the game scoreless.  Flint was being given a torrid time by Baldock's pace and trickery and Brighton didn't allow our creative players any time on the ball.  Freeman was being closed down so quickly when he got it. 

They missed a free header, had a few shots wide, smashed one straight at Fielding after we p!ssed around with it at the back and Ayling cleared off the line superbly well.

And then we scored!  It was at the other end of the ground but looked like a fantastic volley from Williams.  I don't think anyone could believe we had taken the lead.  As the half went on we managed to get a little bit more on the ball.  Freeman found a tiny bit more space and Bennett was looking quite threatening down the right.  Kodjia got more into the game and looked bright every time he got the ball.  

We went in at half time not knowing how we were winning.

The second half started in much the same vein and they equalised quite quickly.  Flint was still struggling and it looked like his fault for the goal (Again it was at the other end).  

But then they sat back a bit, maybe they tired from the constant pressing, I'm not sure.  And we started to create chances ourselves.  Kodjia smashed one into the bottom corner but was marginally offside.  We then should have had a penalty.  Stonewall penalty for me.  If Freeman doesnt get tripped then he has a free shot at goal from 10 yards out so I don't believe he dived.  

Then Kodjia missed the clean through and Wilbraham missed a free header from 10 yards.  Both of them should have scored.  If either of them goes in then maybe we win the game.  Then they go straight up the other end and Zamora scores.  

After that we result to long ball after long ball and don't really create anything. 

I have heard that Cotterill said we deserved to win.  I have briefly read a couple of people on here say we deserved the win.  I would say a point at the very most.  I don't see how you can create 4 good chances and say we deserved to win when they created 8 or 9.  It is true that 90% of their good play came in the first hour but even after that they had a couple of chances.  

For me, the Brighton display up until 60 minutes was the best I have seen a team play against us for a few years now. 

Just want to finish up by saying that I love this team.  I love their spirit and how they throw themselves in front of crosses and shots.  I left the ground feeling very proud and hoping that their ability and spirit will be enough in the end.

Fielding - 7 - strangely, considering how many chances they created he didnt have too much to do as a lot of the shots went wide.  Handled pretty well.

Bennett - 7 - started poorly against their young winger but then started to cope well.  Did well getting forward when he could and we didnt look the same when he went off.

Ayling - 9 - MOM - assured in defence, miracle goal line clearance and very good on the ball

Flint - 5 - really struggled today as mentioned.  Didn't look sure of himself against Baldock at all

Williams - 8 - great goal and superb defensive display.  Couldn't get forward much but threw himself into everything at the back.

Pack - 7 - I am one of the fans who isn't a huge fan of Pack but he did well tonight in front of the defence making tackles and was good on the ball

Smith - 7 - similar to Pack really in that he wasnt allowed to get forward but did the defensive stuff well

Freeman - 6 - was marked very well and came into the game more as it went on.  Was our second best outlet . 

Kodjia - 8 - if he could finish he would be worth £10m+.  Time after time he would get the ball with nothing on and make something happen.  Love watching this guy.  Yes he missed a clean through but 10 minutes earlier he had smashed one in when neither he nor the keeper knew he was offside.  Brighton really struggling with him tonight

Wilbraham - 7 - won lots of flick ons and held the ball up well.  tough task for him tonight as we didn't have much of the ball for large periods.  

Agree with a lot of this especially that a point was the very most we would have deserved and I've said that in a seperate thread. 

I saw Brighton sitting of as more of a ploy to open up holes in our defence. My main reason I thought this was how quickly Stockdale got his kicks out once in his hands. 

Personally thought we sat back for spells of the game today aswell especially after half time and I thought we got what we deserved tonight. 

I agree with your ratings however thing Smith was higher than a 7 and freeman lower than a 6. Also think Flinty 5 is generous. 

Can't agree about Wilbs I'm afraid. Thought he was fairly non existent tonight except the odd flick on. 

On to Cardiff we go!!!

You said: For me, the Brighton display up until 60 minutes was the best I have seen a team play against us for a few years now. 

I was there tonight also, and I think that you're being so so overly generous with that comment. Brighton IMO, were decent, put us through our paces at times during the first half, but nothing more. Most of their chances were half chances, and even when Baldock found a few yards of space behind our back line, we generally recovered and got the challenge in. Can't remember Fielding having to make more than a couple of fairly straight forward saves. 

The best Brighton played by far was in the opening 10 minutes of the second half, as we sat back ridiculously deep as though it was the last 10. The equaliser actually seemed to wake us up again, and brought us back into the game, in which we then comfortably dictated the majority of the 2nd half. 

Overall I think we contained them pretty well for most of the game, and but for some slack finishing and a penalty that should have been given, we would have come away with a more than deserved point. 

Also my evening was slightly ruined by an old boy sat behind me who moaned about everything City did for the entire game, and then had a go at me for standing up during the game to let someone get past me (you know, like everyone does to let someone past). He then proceeded to moan every time I stood up during an exciting moment (you know, like everyone does). Oh and this was three rows from the back. Frankly he was pathetic.

Sorry, I know you don't care but I had to get it off my chest.

Also my evening was slightly ruined by an old boy sat behind me who moaned about everything City did for the entire game, and then had a go at me for standing up during the game to let someone get past me (you know, like everyone does to let someone past). He then proceeded to moan every time I stood up during an exciting moment (you know, like everyone does). Oh and this was three rows from the back. Frankly he was pathetic.

Haha!  I am the guy sat in front of you who you spoke to about it.  That bloke was an idiot.  

You said: For me, the Brighton display up until 60 minutes was the best I have seen a team play against us for a few years now. 

I was there tonight also, and I think that you're being so so overly generous with that comment. Brighton IMO, were decent, put us through our paces at times during the first half, but nothing more. Most of their chances were half chances, and even when Baldock found a few yards of space behind our back line, we generally recovered and got the challenge in. Can't remember Fielding having to make more than a couple of fairly straight forward saves. 

The best Brighton played by far was in the opening 10 minutes of the second half, as we sat back ridiculously deep as though it was the last 10. The equaliser actually seemed to wake us up again, and brought us back into the game, in which we then comfortably dictated the majority of the 2nd half. 

Overall I think we contained them pretty well for most of the game, and but for some slack finishing and a penalty that should have been given, we would have come away with a more than deserved point. 

Fair enough.  I just thought they didn't let us play one bit and were picking us off at will down the flanks.  Their midfield two were immense for first 30 minutes.  

Hey, it's all about opinions.  

Brighton fan here.

Kingswoodactor, you summed up the game perfectly. It was not a a great performance by our lads but City's second half performance belied their position in the table. After the equaliser you started showing some attacking intent and yes you should have had two penalties, one for the foul that the ref thought was a dive , and secondly the clear handball by Bruno in front of your fans. When you went forward you moved the ball about with composure and looked pretty dangerous. The second half was definitely a good advert for Championship football, let down only by some woeful refereeing, both sides falling foul of decisions that had me, a qualified referee, scratching my head in bewilderment. 

After watching this game tonight I can say to you good luck, play like you did tonight for the rest of the season and you will definitely stay up. 

City played excellently and fought right to the final whistle - no dropping of heads

Can't pick individuals out because all played out of their skins

Referee was a disgrace, always difficult to play 11 + the ref

First time I've seen City this season, and now confident this team won't go down - replacements for Wilbraham and Pack will see us more than competing but we must keep Baker and Bennett at all costs 

I thought both teams were excellent in places, as an advertisement for passing, one touch football and close control on the break, both teams had their moments, Freeman leading off many of ours and Kodjia imperious up front.

But we needed to finish them at 1-0 up by putting it beyond doubt, instead it never felt like they were out of it, it felt like we were hanging on the whole time and therefore the belief easily drained the more they threatened to equalise.

in the end I wasn't surprised by the outcome though in the circumstances it was sad how inevitable it became that they'd remedy our early goal and go on and win it, and it does grate more now that we had the pen turned down and missed a few.

It was a valiant effort but if I'm honest I don't think they believed in themselves as much as they could have done, and let themselves get overawed by mounting Brighton pressure. City are always a soft touch vs big opposition home crowds.

A word for the ref who I thought was eccentric to say the least and probably did far more for us than Brighton, especially in the first half, by way of going against the obvious homer decisions, yet on the most important he didn't give the pen...

I would trade all the 50/50 decisions he gave us for having given the penalty he quite clearly should have.

Kodjia smashed one into the bottom corner but was marginally offside.  We then should have had a penalty.  Stonewall penalty for me.  If Freeman doesnt get tripped then he has a free shot at goal from 10 yards out so I don't believe he dived.  

I have seen Freeman go down a few times since joining us and it strikes me he does have a bit of a propensity to dive or, shall we say, embellish the foul a little theatrically. For my money the first antic gives you a bad reputation to refs who all compare notes and therefore a real foul is of course more likely to be considered a dive even if it is not. With the second antic of a real foul but with embellishment and because of your propensity to dive in the first place you risk the ref reading the entire manoeuvre a dive rather than accentuating a true foul... absolutely stupid in my book if that is what he did. If you are fouled just stay down with your face down long enough for the ref to make his mind up.. its that split second which makes ALL the difference. Theatrically falling further than you would have and then jumping up immediately to demand a penalty is just dumb. How so few players see it is beyond me but Shearer always did. Its not rocket science and you don't need a degree but you do need a cool head in an instant and he may not have that... I hope he learns especially because he is a great little player and is prone to annoying defences and getting pulled down.. he could earn us a bucket load of penalties and free kicks and certainly more than the trickle he gets us now. I'll be watching him now for the rest of the season to see if he has learnt or been told by the coaching staff on this one.

I assume you have seen this team a lot so on that basis your words are very encouraging... lets hope we turn the corner soon and properly put a run together.

I felt this would happen when he came off for (?) Moore. Was it an injury? From the little i have seen and heard about this fella he seems to be part of our missing puzzle; a step up from a shoulder injured Little anyway.

Bit of a worry.. hopefully one bad display but Baldock knows his game so not that surprising I suppose.

Really good to see since he has been one of the weaker spots in our defence at times this season it would appear. Very encouraging and the goal will do his confidence the world of good; hopefully it does not go to his head though!!

Freeman - 7 - was marked very well and came into the game more as it went on.  Was our second best outlet . 

Superb... he is clearly improving every game though.

Wilbraham - 6  - won lots of flick ons and held the ball up well.  tough task for him tonight as we didn't have much of the ball for large periods.  

Cox or Agard could have come on earlier perhaps?

Good write up Red, thanks.

It worries me slightly that, despite our players being given such high ratings/praise, we still conceded two and enabled them to create '8 or 9' chances.

On a separate note, several people on the Brighton forum are hailing Kodjia as the best striker they've seen at the Amex all season, which is encouraging.

Can't believe it but I had exactly the same experience in the first half- old boy calling me an idiot for standing up ( with many others) during particularly excitable moments. Turned around and he was wearing a Colchester United sweatshirt! Had a word at half time and explained that I was passionate about my team so then he asked me not to do it during open play(?). Guys behind him just said to me ' you keep on standing- ignore him".

Sat with a Brighton fan on the train back into Brighton who couldn't stop talking about our No 22- said we'd make a lot of money with him. I said- it's not the money we need- it's the player.

Strange how we can see the same game differently, I thought Ayling had a very mixed game, some very poor crosses and gave the ball away far too often. Also thought Smith was good in the first half, but then gave the ball away/ lost possession far too often. 

a good performance against a decent side, look good enough to survive, nowhere near good enough for a surge up the table.

Not at the game but a comment about Flint. 

One of the City's best centre backs in my many years as a City supporter was Jack Connor a 6 feet plus solid no nonsense centre half, and very similar to Flint.

He was great against big strikers even current internationals of the time but putting it kindly, against shorter strikers he resembled Bambi on ice.

So let's not be too critical of Flinty versus the vertically challenged Baldock.

Stupid, why didn't he sit down the front? How was the away support by the way?

It worries me slightly that, despite our players being given such high ratings/praise, we still conceded two and enabled them to create '8 or 9' chances.

On a separate note, several people on the Brighton forum are hailing Kodjia as the best striker they've seen at the Amex all season, which is encouraging

The first sentence sums up our season. Lots of games where we've "played well" yet have given away the points. Attacking football is great to watch but, at the moment, we need a few games where we bore the opposition to death and win. 

As for Kodjia, he's definitely exciting, but he can't do it by himself. He's the only real goal scorer in the team (I know Wilbraham scored a couple on Friday). Having only one dangerous forward, with the rest of the team scoring the odd goal here or there is fine, if the team doesn't concede many. Unfortunately with City's porous defence, we often need to score two goals just to get a draw. 

The first sentence sums up our season. Lots of games where we've "played well" yet have given away the points. Attacking football is great to watch but, at the moment, we need a few games where we bore the opposition to death and win. 

As for Kodjia, he's definitely exciting, but he can't do it by himself. He's the only real goal scorer in the team (I know Wilbraham scored a couple on Friday). Having only one dangerous forward, with the rest of the team scoring the odd goal here or there is fine, if the team doesn't concede many. Unfortunately with City's porous defence, we often need to score two goals just to get a draw. 

This. However, while I'm not yet convinced we'll be OK, I think we will be. We could really do with a result against Cardiff though, as two defeats on the bounce and the confidence gained from the Forest win will be lost

Nice to put a face to the name Red Dave! Thanks for the support, I appreciated it. It wound me up massively and completely distracted me from the game for the next 15 minutes or so.

wish I'd done it more vocally to be honest. My voice he nearly gone yesterday so don't think he even heard me.

sure we have spoken once before at another Tuesday night away game. Definitely recognised you

On a separate note, several people on the Brighton forum are hailing Kodjia as the best striker they've seen at the Amex all season, which is encouraging.

Bit harsh when your playing away at top of the league who are unbeaten so far.

Stupid, why didn't he sit down the front? How was the away support by the way?

It wasn't the most vocal I've ever known us, but we easily out-sang the 22,000 others watching their league-leading team - and a turnout of 700 was a fantastic effort on a Tuesday night I thought.

As for why he didn't sit down the front, I can only imagine that would have required him to have applied some logic and reasoning to his thought processes, and there was no evidence that he had any capacity to do that.

It wasn't the most vocal I've ever known us, but we easily out-sang the 22,000 others watching their league-leading team - and a turnout of 700 was a fantastic effort on a Tuesday night I thought.
As for why he didn't sit down the front, I can only imagine that would have required him to have applied some logic and reasoning to his thought processes, and there was no evidence that he had any capacity to do that.

Annoying, people that want to sit should be down the front anyway. 

The fact that the team played with everything they had got and on the night at least matched Brighton if not being, as some Brighton supporters acknowledged, the better team and we still failed to take a point is worrying.

If this was just an isolated defeat fair enough but despite the performance we are still in free fall and no reinforcements until January

Time again to consider the position of the manager ?

How long can we go on with excuses and not points?

Is Lansdown happy with a return to League 1 ? I doubt it

Has Lansdown the bottle to address the issue before January when it could already be too late ? 

The fact that the team played with everything they had got and on the night at least matched Brighton if not being, as some Brighton supporters acknowledged, the better team and we still failed to take a point is worrying.

If this was just an isolated defeat fair enough but despite the performance we are still in free fall and no reinforcements until January

Has Lansdown the bottle to address the issue before January when it could already be too late ?

Nobody was whinging after the Forest win - we then lose a game whereby we were competitive for long spells, all of a sudden Cotterill is in firing line again. I do struggle to comprehend the argument, especially only 12 games into the season. We are 6 points away off of 10th place, lets not get carried away, anyone would think we are 10 points adrift at bottom of league......

PS - if anybody thinks they can name a manager that would come in and immediately turn these performances into results, I'd be interested to hear suggestions.

I find it amazing that anyone would suggest we consider Cotts' position given the performances and spirit in the team.

Yes exclusively using subs late is frustrating. Yes it was obvious that last night Brighton would cause our 3 centre backs problems when they play with such width on a maximum size pitch. I'll even confess I put money on Brighton when we were 1-0 up. However last night we were within a decision / slice of luck / better finish of getting a win or at least a point against an excellent Brighton team on a high.

For anyone considering turning against the manager my advice is keep you nappy on... we'll be comfortably mid table in another 10-15 games.

I didn't go last night but just from watching the highlights you can see the fine margins we are talking between winning and losing.  We had some great chances, looked like we should have had a pen, but we were undone by a great strike from a former Prem striker.  We are clearly playing a lot better, but just not getting the run of the green.  We nearly beat Ipswich and MK Dons, and were unlucky to not get at least a point at Brighton who are top.  Preston got only their 2nd win last night and jumped 7 places.  As long as we keep in touch with the surrounding clubs we will be fine.  Anyone who thought we would be challenging this season was in dream land, it will be tight at the bottom, and as long as we keep picking up the odd wins here and there we will be fine.  Talk of getting rid of SC is rediculous, we really do have some of the most fickle fans!

Freefall?  We started at the bottom and are still there, it's not as if we were top of the league is it!  Seriously though we are within a pack of about 10 teams who could easily go down or quite easily get in the playoffs!, it's so tight!  We have put some good performances in so far this season and currently I see no indication that we will be relegated.  It's a completely different feel to the last time we were relegated under SOD, we have a solid team, some good players and clearly a good spirit in the squad, we will come good.  I can see after 20 games being mid table

Archived