IGNORED

English National Anthem

Kid in the Riot

On 13/01/2016 at 21:32, Woodsy said:

For sporting occasions, absolutely. How can a dirge like GSTQ get anyone going? Look at the opponents singing their hearts out to their 'battle anthems'

Jerusalem I guess, but I'd prefer a new one. Other countries have done it, why not England?

What's not to like about putting the Scots to the sword. Play the whole body anthem not 2 versus gstq for me

Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

And like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush.

God save the King

On 1/14/2016 at 09:24, Red Bill said:

As a republican I would be pleased to see the back of the current, dreary effort.  Land of ........ is a good tune.

As another Republican I agree fully with this.

Has anyone read the later verses of GSTQ? All about killing Scots and Welshies so not appropriate.

I am also a believer that the NATIONAL Anthem should be about our nation and not one over privileged person 

On 1/14/2016 at 15:59, Big Brother said:

The tune and the words of Jerusalem were written by different people.

The words are thoroughly religious, it's all about Jesus and I think it sprang out of a Christian sect.

And did those feet in ancient time 
Walk upon England's mountains green? 
And was the holy Lamb of God 
On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine 
Shine forth upon our clouded hills? 
And was Jerusalem builded here 
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold! 
Bring me my arrows of desire! 
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold! 
Bring me my chariot of fire

I will not cease from mental fight, 
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand, 
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land

Just the last 2 verses for me. When it's sung properly, the penultimate verse is very passionate and rousing.

As an aside, Billy Connolly did a bit about this years ago and came up with the theme from the Archers. It's hilarious.

Even talksport discussed this in a light hearted manner and came up with new orders' World in motion with the captain having to do the John Barnes rap bit, very amusing!

2 hours ago, Busterrimes said:

Has anyone read the later verses of GSTQ? All about killing Scots and Welshies so not appropriate.

I am also a believer that the NATIONAL Anthem should be about our nation and not one over privileged person 

Not appropriate!!!!!!

12 hours ago, Busterrimes said:

Thing is though that's irrelevant because the debate has nothing to do with replacing GSTQ.

At the moment:

United Kingdom: GSTQ
Scotland: Flower of Scotland
Wales: Land of my fathers

England and NI have nothing so revert to the UK anthem.

When we compete as England, God Save the Queen is not the anthem of the country we are competing as.  It isn't replacing GSTQ because events like the Olympics and any others where the UK compete together will still have GSTQ.  

It is simply putting an English anthem in, which will stop people accross the UK incorrectly thinking GSTQ is the English anthem when it is not. 

Never really took to God Save the Queen either.     A number of people - players themselves sometimes - don't seem to know the words and on my life was at an England game some years ago and heard sung "Send her to Victoria - Kings Cross, and Paddington"   :blink:

I like the French national anthem, not a country for everyone, but that's a very inspiring and uplifting song, it even motivates when you're not even French.

Land of Hope and Glory would be the right choice for the English anthem but how can we alter it ?     Who gives the permission for something like that ?

Maybe it's why our own sportsmen (and women) often fail to be so successful, the current anthem in too banal and uninspiring ?   Just a thought.

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 22:41, Southend Blue said:

Never really took to God Save the Queen either.     A number of people - players themselves sometimes - don't seem to know the words and on my life was at an England game some years ago and heard sung "Send her to Victoria - Kings Cross, and Paddington"   :blink:

I like the French national anthem, not a country for everyone, but that's a very inspiring and uplifting song, it even motivates when you're not even French.

Land of Hope and Glory would be the right choice for the English anthem but how can we alter it ?     Who gives the permission for something like that ?

Maybe it's why our own sportsmen (and women) often fail to be so successful, the current anthem in too banal and uninspiring ?   Just a thought.

Watching the rugby yesterday, I was having a singalong to GSTQ, my 10 year old didn't know the words, not one of them. I'm pretty sure we were taught it at school?

As for who changes it, I believe it's going before parliament, maybe House of Lords. Quite why they have to have the say so, I don't know. I'd just play a different tune and get on with it, song sheets on the seats. Look at the Italians yesterday, how pumped were they after theirs? Like you, I bloody love the French anthem (not going to try spelling it!), if we had a ditty about spilling the blood of our enemies I'm sure we'd be classed as racists though!

31 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Watching the rugby yesterday, I was having a singalong to GSTQ, my 10 year old didn't know the words, not one of them. I'm pretty sure we were taught it at school?

As for who changes it, I believe it's going before parliament, maybe House of Lords. Quite why they have to have the say so, I don't know. I'd just play a different tune and get on with it, song sheets on the seats. Look at the Italians yesterday, how pumped were they after theirs? Like you, I bloody love the French anthem (not going to try spelling it!), if we had a ditty about spilling the blood of our enemies I'm sure we'd be classed as racists though!

The original God Save The King was all about duffing up "rebellious Scots".

On 2/15/2016 at 22:14, Red Right Hand said:

I don`t think we`ll change it until after Her Maj pops off. I think a lot of people don`t have a lot of respect for Charles so it would perhaps be a popular thing to do then maybe?

Would you take that Charles somehow regain respect from people?

:blink:

On 13 February 2016 at 22:41, Southend Blue said:

Another vote to 'I vow to thee my country' from the South Devon Jury.

Failing that I'd go for the French National athem to piss them off even more following our exit from the EU.

On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 15:14, Red Right Hand said:

I don`t think we`ll change it until after Her Maj pops off. I think a lot of people don`t have a lot of respect for Charles so it would perhaps be a popular thing to do then maybe?

Gstq will still be the anthem of the uk though. So at the olympics gstq will be played. We might just be changing the english sporting anthem

The problem with our national anthem is you can be proud to be English without being a royalist.

Personally i would go with I Vow to Thee my Country:

I vow to thee, my country, all earthly things above,
Entire and whole and perfect, the service of my love;
The love that asks no question, the love that stands the test,
That lays upon the altar the dearest and the best;
The love that never falters, the love that pays the price,
The love that makes undaunted the final sacrifice.

But I don't think that it would be a very popular choice.

Archived