IGNORED

English National Anthem

Kid in the Riot

GSTQ is a ok. It's not sung in the same passion as the Welshies sing theirs for example (spine tingling at times at the mill stad)

Jerusalm is the obvious choice and almost certainly will end up being used if they do go ahead with it.  I always loved Abide by me at FA cup finals but not really the right type of tune for a national anthem 

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

It's not important in the least but if we change it please no Jerusalem or any other religious nonsense.

Well the dirge we use at the moment actually starts with the word 'God' although quite what he's saving her from is open to conjecture.

9 hours ago, howey_ducky said:

I like Jerusalem but it has religious connotations which i'm uncomfortable with.  

Perhaps we should have an anthem x factor type tv show.  

And look what drivel the Eurovision entry vote comes up with! 

Edward Elgar knew how to write a good tune so it's 'Land of Hope and Glory' for me. 

Remember, this is for sporting events. Great songs they all might be, but does it get the blood flowing?

Look at the passion the Welsh, Irish, Scots & French will belt their anthems out during the 6N, admittedly the rugby boys do give GSTQ a good airing - but it's not the sort of song that strikes fear (for want of a better word) into the hearts of the opposition

17 hours ago, Tomarse said:

GSTQ is a ok. It's not sung in the same passion as the Welshies sing theirs for example (spine tingling at times at the mill stad)

Jerusalm is the obvious choice and almost certainly will end up being used if they do go ahead with it.  I always loved Abide by me at FA cup finals but not really the right type of tune for a national anthem 

I agree that Jerusalem is the obvious choice, followed closely by Land of Hope and Glory.

I don't believe that J is overtly religious; there are hints, but not more than GSTQ.

I love Abide With Me, but, heartwarming though it is, it is not 'rousing' as are both J and LoHaG.

One of my several doubts, however, is that if the England teams adopt a new anthem; J, LoHaG or whatever, what would become of the Union Jack at England matches - clearly, the St George cross has become popular recently, and rightly so, but it would seem a shame to let the UJ simply disappear. 

16 hours ago, marshy said:

Well the dirge we use at the moment actually starts with the word 'God' although quite what he's saving her from is open to conjecture.

Scotsmen,  in the original version ;)

Despite being written by a Somerset resident,  I am with those who loathe the dirge-like, inane and servile GSTQ. 

More importantly,  it's the UK's national anthem, and has no mention or particular relevance to England. It should only be played at events where the Queen is present, in the same way Americans play Hail To The Chief.

Land of Hope & Glory or I Vow To Thee My Country would be my choices.

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Jerusalem has to be up there with rousing lyrics - personally has no religious links to me

Land of Hope and Glory - I just envisage everyone waving union flags around the Albert Hall

Now, see, Jerusalem reminds me of the WI. And it is a hymn. 

Also, I don't think we want Jerusalem built in England's green and pleasant land: it's one of the most religiously divided, intolerant cities on Earth.

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Jerusalem has to be up there with rousing lyrics - personally has no religious links to me

Land of Hope and Glory - I just envisage everyone waving union flags around the Albert Hall

Idem Abide With Me - not necessarily/exclusively in the (LNotP) Albert Hall, but at similar occasions.

I just feel that Jerusalem builds up gradually to that burning crescendo, the last shout before the match (football, rugby, whatever). 

Oddly, I read last night about Jerusalem and whether it was a religious song or not.....apparently young Jesus took a trip to our shores as a young un, hence 'And did those feet in ancient time, Walk upon England's mountains green?'

What a load of bollocks

40 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Oddly, I read last night about Jerusalem and whether it was a religious song or not.....apparently young Jesus took a trip to our shores as a young un, hence 'And did those feet in ancient time, Walk upon England's mountains green?'

What a load of bollocks

Ooooh! Don`t say that in Glastonbury. The whole town`s economy depends on it.

3 hours ago, Big Brother said:

The tune and the words of Jerusalem were written by different people.

The words are thoroughly religious, it's all about Jesus and I think it sprang out of a Christian sect.

And did those feet in ancient time 
Walk upon England's mountains green? 
And was the holy Lamb of God 
On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine 
Shine forth upon our clouded hills? 
And was Jerusalem builded here 
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold! 
Bring me my arrows of desire! 
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold! 
Bring me my chariot of fire

I will not cease from mental fight, 
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand, 
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land

Yes the words are by William Blake - before he became a bus inspector. 

On 14/01/2016 at 14:11, phantom said:

It's called Jerusalem, how could there not be a religious link!

I don't like GSTQ and would prefer to have a non-religious song.  But Jerusalem does sound good and is a popular choice so I would go along with it. 

Archived