IGNORED

Nathan Baker

yardy

I know these player topics are common at the moment but i wanted to give Baker a shout out. Apart from a odd rash challenge or two he has been magnificent this season and since our formation has changed to a back four he has improved again.

He reminds me a bit like Shaun Taylor, in a way that you knew when Taylor was going in for a 50/50 he would win the ball or he would take the man and ball, proper old school defender that loves to get stuck in.

Not sure what chances we have of getting him permanently but i would love to see him here next season.

8 hours ago, yardy said:

Not sure what chances we have of getting him permanently but i would love to see him here next season.

As AV will be most likely playing in the same League as us. I really don't believe that it's an as unlikely prospect as one might think. Nailed on starter, playing best position, settled in well, close to his home town of Worcester and Birmingham  etc.

That's providing he wants to stay here- he's been with Villa since he was 8 yrs old and has 3 1/2yrs left on his contract there. 

Come to think of it- it is pretty unlikely! let's enjoy watching him while we can- love the comparison with the immense Shaun taylor.

27 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

As AV will be most likely playing in the same League as us. I really don't believe that it's an as unlikely prospect as one might think. Nailed on starter, playing best position, settled in well, close to his home town of Worcester and Birmingham  etc.

That's providing he wants to stay here- he's been with Villa since he was 8 yrs old and has 3 1/2yrs left on his contract there. 

Come to think of it- it is pretty unlikely! let's enjoy watching him while we can- love the comparison with the immense Shaun taylor.

Pure guess work on my behalf, but maybe he has a relegation clause in his contract? Villa clearly aren't overly keen on him, he's come here and played when available. Villa is certainly a club in crisis and could easily do a Southampton and Leeds and fall again. 

9 hours ago, yardy said:

I know these player topics are common at the moment but i wanted to give Baker a shout out. Apart from a odd rash challenge or two he has been magnificent this season and since our formation has changed to a back four he has improved again.

He reminds me a bit like Shaun Taylor, in a way that you knew when Taylor was going in for a 50/50 he would win the ball or he would take the man and ball, proper old school defender that loves to get stuck in.

For the first time this season, I thought to myself at the game yesterday, we should sign him permanently if we get the option.

Can't see Remi Garde hanging around, trashing his CV. Will probably depend on who replaces him, plus which players hang around after relegation. £25k a week won't make much dent in the parachute payment, and he's proved himself at this level, so logically, he will be part of Villa's squad next season. But logic and Villa don't go hand in hand, so always hope.

If (when?) Villa go down, I imagine whoever is at the tiller may see Baker's hard-won experience at this level fighting relegation with us (be that successfully or not) as valuable to them, so can't see him staying on at the gate, even if we could afford him.

I hope Burt, Ashton and the other folks who identify players are already compiling a list for similar players who we could get in full time in the summer to play alongside Flint.

50 minutes ago, daored said:

Pure guess work on my behalf, but maybe he has a relegation clause in his contract? Villa clearly aren't overly keen on him, he's come here and played when available. Villa is certainly a club in crisis and could easily do a Southampton and Leeds and fall again. 

Here's hoping!

30 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

He is on a reported  £25k  a week at Villa.

We have no chance 

Send us a link to the 'reports' please.

If a 3rd/4th choice player is on £25k pw then no wonder Villa are in a whole world of hurt.

8 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Here's hoping!

If a 3rd/4th choice player is on £25k pw then no wonder Villa are in a whole world of hurt.

Is that wage unrealistic for a first team player at a premiership club? On 5live on Monday they mentioned that kids in Chelsea's youth team , 16/17 year old boys were on between 12-15K a week!! The world's gone mad

8 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Here's hoping!

I remember reading it ages ago.  

The two Leicester lads we had (Hamer and Moore) are on £19k  a week at Leicester. That's factual. 

In comparison. ... 25k a week for Baker doesn't seem so ridiculous 

3 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I remember reading it ages ago.  

The two Leicester lads we had (Hamer and Moore) are on £19k  a week at Leicester. That's factual. 

In comparison. ... 25k a week for Baker doesn't seem so ridiculous 

Maybe not Andy but I just prefer  to see the facts than hear them. This is OTIB after all...

1 minute ago, beaverface said:

I was saying yesterday that we should look to get the loan players who were on the pitch yesterday signed up as soon as possible, so that we have the makings of a reasonable side, and then in the summer we can concentrate on bringing some more quality into the team/squad.

Much as I would love to get Baker & Tomlin on board both they and the club would be foolish to agree anything without knowing what league we`re going to be in - although staying up is looking more and more promising, we could still implode.

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Much as I would love to get Baker & Tomlin on board both they and the club would be foolish to agree anything without knowing what league we`re going to be in - although staying up is looking more and more promising, we could still implode.

Agreed, but there's nothing stopping the club either agreeing a relegation clause, or at least discussing a contract so that come the final day whistle, or the moment we're safe (fingers crosses), that they get on and sign straight away.

The last thing we want is player dragging it all out throughout the summer and us not knowing whether we have them on board or not.

2 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Agreed, but there's nothing stopping the club either agreeing a relegation clause, or at least discussing a contract so that come the final day whistle, or the moment we're safe (fingers crosses), that they get on and sign straight away.

The last thing we want is player dragging it all out throughout the summer and us not knowing whether we have them on board or not.

We would be daft if we`re not even discussing it with them and I`m sure we probably have made approaches off the record. The players wouldn`t want to limit their options too much though so they`d have to be free to talk to others as well. I think it`s pretty obvious Tomlin`s burnt his bridges at Bournemouth but he would probably feel he`s going to get better offers than us. Baker I think would want to stay at Villa in the champ as they`re pretty sure to be top six.

1 hour ago, ciderbeans said:

I heard we are paying his full wages for the term of the loan anyway so to buy would be an easy transition if we stumped up the transfer fee. Likely to stay with villa if they come down though although they will be in free fall with relegation

Agreeing to pay £1.2m wages for one year is slightly different to agreeing a £3.6m outlay over 3 years

Plus if we sign him permanently then he disjoints the wage structure. 

4 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

He's been good all season but looks a lot better in a back 4. Absolutely class yesterday. The blokes an animal. Baker & Flint are a solid pair at present.

....and yet no-one on here moaning that one of our loanees (Alex Pearce) isn't getting any minutes, ala Simon Cox.  I'm only teasing, very different having a centre half on the bench.  Williams or Burns not in 18 yesterday....injured?

1 hour ago, Dynamite Red said:

I can't see Villa keeping him unless they find some mugs to sign the players currently ahead if him. Surely Baker has a relegation clause in his contract meaning he would be on less wages next season as a Championship player, still a lot of wages for one player.

No guarantee he has, although you'd think even Villa might have thought to insert one, even if they thought they;d be in no danger.

Archived