IGNORED

Tonight

Bs4Red

Firstly let's start off by saying if we were going to lose a game we have picked a damn good game to lose on the back of other results. 

Tonight we were not at the races, that's okay though. The team can be excused for not performing. It happens, Brighton come off the back of a 4-1 mauling against Cardiff.

Personally think LJ was right to start Vyner after a solid performance Saturday. 

We were poor today. Everything was poor, our delivery, our passing, our defending. 

Lets not dwell on a poor performance, move onto Saturday. Huge game 

Murphy against Vyner was a non contest. They'd obviously done their homework and Murphy had young Zac in his pocket. 

It happens even with experienced players and no doubt will do Vyner good to come up against a classy winger like Murphy. It's all about gaining experience.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Great side, and when they had the likes of Wilson, Sidwell and Zamora on the bench it shows the strength and depth in that squad. I'd wager the wages combined of those three subs wouldn't be off the total wages of our starting 11 today. 

And it only seems like yesterday that they were playing at that horrendous little shithole called the Withdean without a pot to p1ss in..

If someone had offered us 10 points from our next 5 games six games ago every single fan would have taken it, we've also won the important fixtures against fellow relegation rivals.

Yes it's a bit of a blow to lose so heavily, but I'd rather take losing against Brighton than against Charlton or MK.

Looking at the table, no harm done.

26 minutes ago, Nibor said:

It was a total load of shit all round tonight, no more needs be said.

How we react to LJ's first real bump in the road will be interesting.

Yes, for me it's all about how we react to it. We don't want the classic new manager bounce followed by a dire run. I think we'll get over the line with what we have at our disposal. If the loan signings disappear in May, an already busy summer will be even busier.

Brighton were better than us in every department and (as has been said above) Murphy v the boy Vyner was a walkover which led to their first two goals.

For me, easily the best side we have seen at AG this season and I am certain they will go up on automatic promotion.

No great disgrace against a classy PL bound club, we just need to stay up, but why was Bryan substituted ? Was he injured ?

At times we looked tidy, and when we kept it on the deck looked pretty decent. BUT , Brighton looked quicker in thought and deed , closed us well and moved the ball a lot quicker. The winger on ZV looked seriously fast, it was a wake up call for anyone who thought we'd turned into a good Championship team over night. 

On Saturday Brighton were missing a number of their better players through injury (Kayal, Murphy) plus Hughton had done his homework on us, let us have possession & played on the break. Clinical finishing helps & they defended in depth & prevented much even getting to their keeper.

Probably the best all round team we have played at home (remember how many they went unbeaten at the beginning of the season) & not our worst performance, although very few players played well today. However it's clear we need Baker back for Saturday & Little should start at right back.

A draw away at Forest is a realistic result & who knows we might even sneak a win, but if you include this match as part of our next 5 games, they are going to be a lot harder than our last 5 as we will be up against teams in reasonable to good form who are higher up the division. Not impossible but don't expect 10 points from them. 5 would be a reasonable return, including hopefully a win at Fulham, would not be the end of the world, as we still have Bolton & Rotherham to play at home, which are "must win" games.

One defeat in five not too shabby. Tough game against  a top championship side so excuses we got hammered. Young Zac will learn from last nights mauling and hopefully make him a better player. No harm done as in eight clear of the drop. Put together another run ASAP.

COYR

Brighton are an established Championship team, think this is their 5th season and two of those they have been in the playoffs. They know what they are doing and can attract players. If we can stay up this year I wouldn't mind a few years ahead like Brighton have just had. We are just beginning to build what they have now, it won't happen overnight. Stay up and I'm sure we can kick on and establish ourselves too.

We were beaten by, imo, the best side we've played at home this season. Apart from a confidence bashing, no actual harm done because everybody below us failed to narrow the gap.

Brighton made it look as if too many of ours were too far off the pace but I think we just got a lesson on where we need to be to make any sort of challenge at the higher end of the Championship.

Just one thought. Murphy "did" us last season when Sheff U beat us at home. I thought then that we should make a determined bid in the summer (2015) to sign him as he can play all across the front line. He ran rings around Ayling then and did the same to Viner last night so maybe we should not be too heavy on young Zak. 

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

Murphy against Vyner was a non contest. They'd obviously done their homework and Murphy had young Zac in his pocket. 

It happens even with experienced players and no doubt will do Vyner good to come up against a classy winger like Murphy. It's all about gaining experience.

That reminds me of a story about Manchester City Mike Summerbe, who was a class winger. He was up against Mike Thesher, within the first five minutes, first tackle Mike had sent MS into row D of the terracing.As a former full back my self I always found this a sound tactic. To let the winger, if he looked a hand full take a hard tackle early in the game.

All credit to Brighton who done a first class job on us. we lacked any cutting edge last night and Brighton made us pay for the mistakes we made.

I'm confident we'll be a Championship team next season, but if we want to be like Brighton and be challenging near the top next season we will need to draft in quality players because the way Brighton countered attack showed the gulf in class between the 2 teams.

Archived