IGNORED

Champ teams to struggle?

Londoner

It's interesting looking at the differing summer clubs have had in the league....obviously the likes of Burton and Rotherham are going to struggle to attract big names due to club size, similar to that of Hull etc in the Prem.

But surely the summer can act as a potential play out of the league, and based on this year clearly some teams will struggle.

Rotherham and Burton are obvious examples, what about Blackburn and Reading? Blackburn seem incapable of bringing in big name players and have hired a manager who seems to be on the way down rather than up...and Reading going for a manager with no experience at all?

Forest is an odd one due to their manager, but seem to be focusing on free transfers rather than spending money....seems to be a theme in this league. As for Wolves, who knows what will happen.

So who do people think will go down? Going for a put at Burton, Blackburn and one other....really not sure who!

Without Warnock, Rotherham will be in trouble. Expecting very little from QPR. They won't go down, but doubt they'll do better than mid-table. Forest are a total mess. Have their new owners taken over? Wasn't their form bottom 3 from Jan/Feb time? Burton will struggle. Think Barnsley will be fine. Huddersfield have bought loads, and I've never heard of most. Villa will be lucky to finish top 6. 

Hard to say who will go down, but I'd take a bet on Forest. We know what happens when there's instability at a club and you have a poor summer. Think Wigan will do quite well. Expecting a tough opening match. 

38 minutes ago, cynic said:

Chris Powell thinks we will be more than ok;

https://chrispowellsflatcap.com/2016/07/27/chris-powells-flat-cap-championship-season-preview-part-two/?

FWIW, I think Barnsley, Rotherham, and Burton are for the chop.

Fair play, that is a detailed assessment from a fan of another club.....nice to read some kind words about our club

As for the drop, suspect Burton will be somewhere handy, but hope I'm wrong. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 'bigger' name go, think Forest, Reading & Blackburn would all have potential. Then it's one of a handful, Rotherham, Barnsley, Huddersfield, maybe Fulham

I hope I am wrong, but we might scare ourselves with our start this season - not only do we have to face teams relegated from the Premier League in August, but our very young team also has to bed in.  Some of our players are very young and need to find their feet at this level.  Once they do. I'm sure we will be fine and have a much stronger second half to the season.

Looking through the Champ transfer tracker, the truth is there has been a lot of unknown business by quite a few clubs, so it's hard to know how they will get on. 

Right now I'd say Brentford could be the most likely to join the widely suggested Rotherham & Burton, to struggle. 

The beauty of this division though is who knows..?!

I'm sure you can get good odds on predicting the three teams that will be relegated. Some teams look favourites - e g Rothetham, Burton etc, but there are always surprises. Last season Rothetham looked doomed until they appointed the forum's favourite manager, Neil Warnock. Also last season Preston were comfortable, City were doomed until Cotts was sacked, and MK Dons was relegated. Difficult to predict that.  

In previous seasons "big" clubs such as Southampton, Sheffield Utd etc went down. 

If I had to bet I'd go for Rotherham, Barnsley plus any of the above mentioned basket case clubs. 

All joking aside, I think our friends at Oakwell may do better than expected. They seem to have recruited and retained well and if they can get Winnall & Hourihane to sign new contracts and keep Mawson I think they`ll be OK.

The one I`m not sure about is Preston as I think they may get found out this season and really do need a goalscorer as Garner can`t cut it at this level. I do hope I`m wrong though.

I reckon Rotherham will struggle. Reading and Blackburn seem to have been in decline for a while and could very well have difficult seasons.

As for the promoted teams, Burton and/or Barnsley could very well find a formula like Preston did and have a reasonably comfortable season. Not sure how Preston will do this time around.

I hope that we avoid getting sucked in, particularly with our tough-looking start to the season: our confidence visibly drained last time with points hard to come by, and once a side is struggling it can give other teams a spring in their step because they go into the game expecting to take the points.

There is usually also a team who starts fairly well and then collapses in the second half of the season - it will be interesting to see who this might happen to this season.

Keep an eye out for Fulham to struggle if they sell Ross McCormack.

They have already changed more than half of their side from last season, bought no-one of note at all and are still managed by the idiot in charge of them from when we won up there.

As for the previous poster rating Burton's chances, take a look at their squad and signings, I think they are nailed on not just to go down, but to finish 24th.

A good mate of mine is a Wigan fan. He isn't to confident for the coming season, Although though as expected they bounced back at the first time of asking back up to the championship as L1 champions he isn't convinced the current squad have what it takes to compete in the second tier. 

They've made a number of signings but many have been under whelmig in my mate's opinion. 

Dan Burn from Fulham has come in but has looked well off the pace in pre season. Nick Powell could turn out to be a good signing If he reaches his potential, but he is a gamble. It will be a real test for Alex Gilbey to step up to the championship. However Jake Buxton was a decent signing for them. 

They signed a young right back from West Ham Kyle Knoyle on a season long loan but he's already picked up a long term injury. With Reece Wabara departing in the summer they are without a recognised right back. 

They have some excellent players in Will Grigg and Yanic Wildshut. They seem to be a few players short in key areas. 

They've also had a poor pre season so far.. including a 4-1 defeat to Rochdale and have only scored 2 goals in there 6 friendlies to date. 

I expect them to give city a good game, but I am also confident we'll nick a win on the day. 

I think Wigan will stay up, but I think they'll be in the relegation battle for large parts of the season.

Forest. Burton & Barnsley to go down. 

A few (including me) have mentioned Preston as maybe not doing as well this year. It would be interesting to hear what our friends in the North think. I did hear the other day that Calum Woods is out for the season for them too so that doesn`t bode well. I really hope they don`t struggle but do fear the worst for them TBH.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

A few (including me) have mentioned Preston as maybe not doing as well this year. It would be interesting to hear what our friends in the North think. I did hear the other day that Calum Woods is out for the season for them too so that doesn`t bode well. I really hope they don`t struggle but do fear the worst for them TBH.

I don't think they'll go down, but I think they'll be in the bottom 6.  Think teams will suss them out....and if they struggle to get any goals, they won't pick up the 1-0s they did last season.

Burton have signed Ben Turner from Cardiff, but that is it.

Agree re Rotherham.  Wigan will probably be alright....they have a bit if dosh, and recent Premier experience that might drag in the odd player.  Wolves were gonna be my tip until the takeover.

Suspect it will be a unpredictable league.

9 hours ago, cynic said:

Chris Powell thinks we will be more than ok;

https://chrispowellsflatcap.com/2016/07/27/chris-powells-flat-cap-championship-season-preview-part-two/?

FWIW, I think Barnsley, Rotherham, and Burton are for the chop.

Blimey, that's a lot of detail about our club from a Charlton fan.  But it's a tidy summary and I can't argue with most of his views.  My knowledge of Championship teams doesn't go much further than BS3...!!

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I don't think they'll go down, but I think they'll be in the bottom 6.  Think teams will suss them out....and if they struggle to get any goals, they won't pick up the 1-0s they did last season.

Burton have signed Ben Turner from Cardiff, but that is it.

Agree re Rotherham.  Wigan will probably be alright....they have a bit if dosh, and recent Premier experience that might drag in the odd player.  Wolves were gonna be my tip until the takeover.

Suspect it will be a unpredictable league.

Burton have also signed Chris O'Grady, Lloyd Dyer, Kyle McFadzean and Lee Williamson. I genuinely feel for them this season and I hope they at least go down fighting

10 hours ago, Kodjia said:

Burton have also signed Chris O'Grady, Lloyd Dyer, Kyle McFadzean and Lee Williamson. I genuinely feel for them this season and I hope they at least go down fighting

With McFadzean, fighting (out of the referees view) is his strength.

A lot of people seem convinced that Burton will go down this year, but I can see them surviving for a year. It's true that the Championship is a totally different beast to the rest of the Football League with the explosion of parachute payments and sleeping giants, but Burton have got where they are by toppling bigger teams, and I can see them taking a few scalps on their way to survival.

I think we'll see a few surprises this year. Despite having Di Matteo and a new owner, I can see Aston Villa struggling to adapt to the Championship.

No-one's mentioned Brum yet.

Current relegation odds are as follows:

Burton 11/10

Rotherham 12/5

Barnsley 10/3

Blackburn 5/1

Preston, Brum 11/2

Wigan, Huddersfield, City - 8/1

Leeds, Reading - 9/1

Brentford, Forest, Ipswich - 10/1

Cardiff, Fulham, QPR - 12/1

Wolves - 16/1

Villa - 33/1

Wednesday - 35/1

Brighton, Derby - 50/1

Norwich - 70/1

Newcastle - 200/1

I suspect there will be at least one surprise relegation team from the teams in the middle of the pack.  Brentford and Reading are 2 teams that had poor second halfs of last season

23 minutes ago, City169 said:

I think Burton will stay up, but go down next year, I actually think we have the worst possible time for the away game there, the crowd will be right up for the clubs first ever 2nd tier match and so should the players, should be a great atmosphere though

Wasn't it the same with Southend in the 91-92 season? I'm going for the same score 1-1.

32 minutes ago, Loderingo said:

No-one's mentioned Brum yet.

Current relegation odds are as follows:

Burton 11/10

Rotherham 12/5

Barnsley 10/3

Blackburn 5/1

Preston, Brum 11/2

Wigan, Huddersfield, City - 8/1

Leeds, Reading - 9/1

Brentford, Forest, Ipswich - 10/1

Cardiff, Fulham, QPR - 12/1

Wolves - 16/1

Villa - 33/1

Wednesday - 35/1

Brighton, Derby - 50/1

Norwich - 70/1

Newcastle - 200/1

I suspect there will be at least one surprise relegation team from the teams in the middle of the pack.  Brentford and Reading are 2 teams that had poor second halfs of last season

Or  us!!!

We have a lot young new faces  and a bloody tough start. If we come away with 5  points from the first 5, then hopefully we can have  less stressful season.

Archived