IGNORED

Signing envy

samo II

After seeing Sheffield Weds signing Abdi and Pudil (resigning in the latter's case), both of which are solid performers at this level, and come on top of them already bringing in Steve Fletcher, I was wondering; is there any clubs who folks are looking at enviously after their summer business (possibly excluding the three ex-Prem teams)?

Being I think the general feeling is we've done alright for ourselves so far, just interested in people's thoughts?

Newcastle have signed a couple of good ones and still have to really show their hand I think. I believe their squad come 6th August will be frightening.

Other than that, I think we`ve done pretty well up to now and not really jealous of anyone else`s signings, it`s more about who clubs have managed to keep like Derby - they were good last year and haven`t really lost anyone of note.

Newcastle, obviously. 

Other than that a lot of signings are unknown at this level, from abroad. 

Envy..? Well I'd have liked it if we'd have signed Fletcher, Danny Graham or Stokes. 

I can't say I'm that "envious" of any other business so far. 

Newcastle have made some very very good signings and will a real force this season. HOWEVER... Rafa Benitez has only really managed at the highest level. The Championship will perhaps catch him by surprise. And for that reason, its nice that we are playing them quite early on because although they have made good signings, that doesnt always mean you hit the ground running. 

Sheffield Weds have recruited well and I fully expect them to be at the top end of the table. Derby already had a decent squad and with some good additions, once again will be up there.

My surprise package for the season could be Preston. They have made some shrewd signings. Nothing spectacular, but good solid Championship players - they have the makings of a really good squad. Plus they got much of their business done early, which is always good for the manager to work with the players for as long as possible before the season starts.

In a nutshell though, lots of teams have made some brilliant signings and its going to be very competitive this season. 

32 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Newcastle's squad will just be ridiculous at this level. 

But I think Wigan have actually done some really good business. Powell, Buxton, Warnock and Gilbey all really good signings. Wouldn't have minded seeing a couple of those here. 

Other than Sheffield Wednesday and Newcastle United they were the only team to catch the eye with signings for me too. Think they, as a club, will take time to adapt back to the championship though. On paper good signings though.

3 hours ago, Tim S said:

My surprise package for the season could be Preston. They have made some shrewd signings. Nothing spectacular, but good solid Championship players - they have the makings of a really good squad. Plus they got much of their business done early, which is always good for the manager to work with the players for as long as possible before the season starts.

In a nutshell though, lots of teams have made some brilliant signings and its going to be very competitive this season. 

Ummm.. I'm not being picky but which "good solid championship players" have Preston signed..?

Tommy Spurr is the only one with notable Championship credentials, isn't he..?

We have done brilliantly so far, and I don't think many will be disappointed. Should Flint/Kodjia go though - different story. I personally don't think they will...

Newcastle have, and always were going to be the big draw, in terms of reputation, financial clout and the ability to attract the bigger and better players. On paper they should walk this league, along with Norwich. On paper though, Leicester should have been nowhere near the top 6, let alone win the bleedin' league!!!

1 hour ago, Clarky89 said:

Actually think a lot of clubs may well be looking down our 'In' column with some envy! 

Much of any teams performances depends on two things - the availabile players and the managers ability to get the best from the resources he has at his disposal.

Now obviously Newcastle have a strong squad but as already pointed out will Benitez be able to get the best out of his players with essentially two games a week?    :dunno:

Also - Willl LJ be able to maximise City's resources? He has more squad quality this time around than when he took over and he kept us up with games to spare but what does that actually tell us about his managerial skills? It's too early to say I reckon,

Think back to this time last year. Despite the lack of squad strengthening most of us thought that Cotterill would be able to get City going well enough but he failed.............:facepalm:

I see Newcastle hitting 100 points plus, beneitz knows what he's doing, no he's not been in championship before but he knows his stuff, Newcastle will be rock solid at the back from day one and a nightmare to break down, midfield and going forward may take a few weeks/months to settle but I've no doubt they have the quality to get themselves out of trouble and Nick results until they settle and just steam roll the rest of us.

Villa will be interesting, very good youth set up and the muppets that took them down will be move on and the likes of Baker, Grelish and Gestete will be a slid spine for them 

Archived