IGNORED

The Kodjia Dustbin Thread (Merged)

brizzlelou

Nobody in Ivory Coast knew me before that and afterwards they were hailing me as the new [Didier] Drogba,” he says with a laugh. “Obviously, I know I’m way off doing what he did but we all have to try and it was great to feel such warmth.”

He didn't actually say it himself…

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Good interview.

However I'd be absolutely amazed if his English has improved so rapidly in his very short time at Villa that he'd be using words like "nonchalantly"...

It is a French word. Maybe he was trying to wing it and hope the interviewer translated :)  

29 minutes ago, 29AR said:

It is a French word. Maybe he was trying to wing it and hope the interviewer translated :)  

It is.

However anyone who saw him in the head to head quiz v Rich O'Donnell would strongly doubt that the whole interview was conducted in English...

He came in, scored goals, helped us stay up, helped show we can develop players and netted us 7 times what we paid. It wasn't a clean break but you guys got to give the guy a break. This could've been his last chance to get a decent contract and he took it. Fair play to him. He helped the club and we helped him. Let's all move on and I'm sure he'll want to see us do well as much as we want him to.

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

He came in, scored goals, helped us stay up, helped show we can develop players and netted us 7 times what we paid. It wasn't a clean break but you guys got to give the guy a break. This could've been his last chance to get a decent contract and he took it. Fair play to him. He helped the club and we helped him. Let's all move on and I'm sure he'll want to see us do well as much as we want him to.

Agree with much of this but as Maynard found out there is a classy way of leaving and there is a far less classy way, there was no need for the lack of class IMO.

He could have left the complete hero with more humility and less sulkiness, I don't think many would begrudge him his transfer and his reasons, but manners cost nothing, we might learn a little more about him if Villa fail to get promoted.

The highlighted portion should really have read better or improved, I suspect he was already on a decent contract compared to the 'real world'.

No doubt but as you said about the "real world," it's not always as simple as it looks. He has a much smaller window to make his unreal wages compared to us. He's an asset and has to look at himself that way. He didn't leave amicably but he felt he needed to do it to maximise his career earnings and he can tell his grandchildren he played for Aston Villa, a team with a rich history of success. I get what you're saying and I felt a little let down at first but I get the mood and why it happened. Look at the Steve Lansdown interview. He wasn't happy but it didn't make JK a bad guy. 

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Agree with much of this but as Maynard found out there is a classy way of leaving and there is a far less classy way, there was no need for the lack of class IMO.

He could have left the complete hero with more humility and less sulkiness, I don't think many would begrudge him his transfer and his reasons, but manners cost nothing, we might learn a little more about him if Villa fail to get promoted.

The highlighted portion should really have read better or improved, I suspect he was already on a decent contract compared to the 'real world'.

Totally agree but the media often twist our memories of a departing player.  Two recent interviews seem to have given him a bad rep even though he was on the Aston Villa payroll for both.

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

It is.

However anyone who saw him in the head to head quiz v Rich O'Donnell would strongly doubt that the whole interview was conducted in English...

I've been thinking about that. Does ROD get a bye to the next round, as Kodj won the H2H, or does ROD have to do it all again? @AdamB

3 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

I've been thinking about that. Does ROD get a bye to the next round, as Kodj won the H2H, or does ROD have to do it all again? @AdamB

Him and Engvall for the next round? - apologies not watched if Gustav has had a go. 

The media do love hype as Mitchell loves to remind us with such hilariously mad alacrity.

I suppose he would say it something like this... And so Jonathan Kodjia, previously at the huge club AC Angers made an impressively instant impact at the humungously massive Bristol City only to be flogged on for disgustingly large wads of cash to the super tanker behemoth of a club from the West Midlands and no I am not talking about Birmingham City, but the grotesquely largest of them all, yes you guessed it, Aston Villa. Yes Kodjia is now so massive a catch for Villa he is compared to Didier Drogba. Surely there is going to be an earthquake in Aston so huge at this news it will go off the Richter scale. It will shatter the glass on the Seismograph and pulverise the metal cabinet. Oh yes, this is big.

This is David Mitchell, bored out of his pants, at the rain soaked and tiny Kenilworth Road waiting for two crappy little teams to take to the overgrown, weed infested, paddock they have the f----- nerve to call a football pitch. Back to Dickie Davies in the ITV studio.

On 23 September 2016 at 13:17, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Can't really blame Kodja for chasing the big bucks….but considering it was Bristol City who helped open the door for all those riches, as the French would say Kodja has  "Pas de Classe", and surely it's "When", and Not "If" ……….Villa fail to get promoted?

Archived