IGNORED

Bobby Reid chasing shadows

Thatwasclose

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Pack was also on a yellow, so not sure that would be the reason.

Tomlin was pivotal to City's performance and having already been ruled out out for Saturday was the one player who could be run into the ground.

Wrong player to take off at that stage imo., on a yellow or not.

As for Reid not being rested, you might be right, but Brownhill has played well when called upon and I reckon a strong possiobility he'll return against Forest.

LJ has the squad to rotate, particularly in midfield, and after last night's exertions I'll be surprised if he doesn't.

How often does pack get a yellow ? How often Tomlin ? Pretty safe to assume Pack would be unlikely to get another booking, but Tomlin ?

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Tomlin was pivotal to City's performance and having already been ruled out out for Saturday was the one player who could be run into the ground.

As for Reid not being rested, you might be right, but Brownhill has played well when called upon and I reckon a strong possiobility he'll return against Forest.

LJ has the squad to rotate, particularly in midfield, and after last night's exertions I'll be surprised if he doesn't.

that was tomlins 5th and Pack's second, Tomlins was for arguing pack was for a bad tackle, Tomlin has been fined for his discipline already this season, pack hasn't,

Bobby will play the no10 role he is Tomlin's natural replacement, if Brownhill comes in, it will be for the space Reid leaves in the middle imo

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If, as expected, Reid plays in that no. 10 role on Saturday then he'll have a little less running to do than in a midfield two. I don't think he was physically knackered at the end anyway, he darted across to the left back position on about 80 mins successfully winning the ball back and completing a pass up the field.

I would've thought LJ would not be at all keen on dropping Reid given the form he's in, and the 4 goals he's already scored this season. He's the natural replacement for Tomlin.

5 minutes ago, Fiale said:

How often does pack get a yellow ? How often Tomlin ? Pretty safe to assume Pack would be unlikely to get another booking, but Tomlin ?

5 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

...but Pack isn't a 'loose canon' unlike LT.

If LJ felt Tomlin was an indisciplined liability who couldn't adapt his game after getting a yellow he would sub. him very quickly every time he got booked, but that hasn't been the case.

You have to weigh up the chances of going down to 10 men with the extra pressure heaped on the team with the removal of such a pivotal outlet as an in form Tomlin.

LJ made his decision, and we got the 3 points, but players such as Freeman and Reid were clearly playing on empty long before the end, and this could well affect their availability, or full fitness, for a match that Tomlin will be missing anyway.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If LJ felt Tomlin was an indisciplined liability who couldn't adapt his game after getting a yellow he would sub. him very quickly every time he got booked, but that hasn't been the case.

You have to weigh up the chances of going down to 10 men with the extra pressure heaped on the team with the removal of such a pivotal outlet as an in form Tomlin.

LJ made his decision, and we got the 3 points, but players such as Freeman and Reid were clearly playing on empty long before the end, and this could well affect their availability, or full fitness, for a match that Tomlin will be missing anyway.

sorry, Tomlin is a proven undisciplined player, he's had 5 yellows in league 10 games, he argues with officials, he normally gets subbed 15 - 25 minutes after receiving a card, he got the card in the 47th and subbed on 70th, 23 minutes after the booking,

He can't keep his mouth shut, and I expect he will receive another weeks wages in fines today, He'll keep getting picked because he is a creative footballer can can create out of nothing, but he will continue to be subbed because of his mouth,

If he keeps that shut then he'll play for 90 minutes and bobby or pack would go off depending on the circumstances, 

The substutution could of also been tactical, trying to hold on to a lead managers will often take off an attack minded player for a defense minded player, and as Reid and Pack has more about him defensively then tomlin then tomlin will go off

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You have to also go by how the ref is judging the game and number of yellows being given, history and the nature of the fixture - you cannot judge all games the same.

It was a funny game looking back, Pack Mom and no one played badly but...

Reid and Pack play well but Leeds had good spells of domination in the midfield.

Mags had a decent game, but got bullied in the first half.

Patterson and Freeman played well but JB got ran ragged and LF didn't help enough.

Nit picking maybe after a win, but as I said funny game. As I was walking back to my car, an elderly/older gent passed me and said 'what a load of rubbish' . Wasn't sure he was talking me so I said nothing. Then he asked if I'd been to the Gate, when I said yes he replied something like 'not seen such rubbish for a while' when I disagreed and said I thought we played OK he got the royal hump and stormed off ! Can't please all the people I guess, personally I really enjoyed some of the quick, slick passing on the break. Shame Tomlin's not available for Saturday, I love watching him.

19 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If, as expected, Reid plays in that no. 10 role on Saturday then he'll have a little less running to do than in a midfield two. I don't think he was physically knackered at the end anyway, he darted across to the left back position on about 80 mins successfully winning the ball back and completing a pass up the field.

I would've thought LJ would not be at all keen on dropping Reid given the form he's in, and the 4 goals he's already scored this season. He's the natural replacement for Tomlin.

I don't think so either.

And if he's the natural replacement to play in Tomlin's position on Saturday, perhaps all the more reason to give him a rest for the final 20 last night?

Reid and Freeman were visibly physically knackered during the closing stages despite each forcing themselves to make runs near the end, perhaps fuelled more by encouragement from the crowd rather than reserves of energy.

We'll see how they feel waking up this morning and how fit they are for Saturday, but I wouldn't be surprised to see O'Dowda and Brownhill coming in.

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It was a funny game looking back, Pack Mom and no one played badly but...

Reid and Pack play well but Leeds had good spells of domination in the midfield.

Mags had a decent game, but got bullied in the first half.

Patterson and Freeman played well but JB got ran ragged and LF didn't help enough.

Nit picking maybe after a win, but as I said funny game. As I was walking back to my car, an elderly/older gent passed me and said 'what a load of rubbish' . Wasn't sure he was talking me so I said nothing. Then he asked if I'd been to the Gate, when I said yes he replied something like 'not seen such rubbish for a while' when I disagreed and said I thought we played OK he got the royal hump and stormed off ! Can't please all the people I guess, personally I really enjoyed some of the quick, slick passing on the break. Shame Tomlin's not available for Saturday, I love watching him.

Yeah, last night was winning ugly... we tried the right things, but it was not quite paying off, under a lot of pressure, but they dug in and got the result - the entire game I was just waiting for us to conceded and for Leeds to shut up shop, then we went a head and it was... how long before they equalise, or we do something stupid - but... well we do make mistakes, but we also fight, scrap, pull games back, score in the dying moments of matches - this is not the city of old.  

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't think so either.

And if he's the natural replacement to play in Tomlin's position on Saturday, perhaps all the more reason to give him a rest for the final 20 last night?

Reid and Freeman were visibly physically knackered during the closing stages despite each forcing themselves to make runs near the end, perhaps fuelled more by encouragement from the crowd rather than reserves of energy.

We'll see how they feel waking up this morning and how fit they are for Saturday, but I wouldn't be surprised to see O'Dowda and Brownhill coming in.

I think they will play a part but I would think he will ask Bobby and Luke to give us a good hour first.  Our recovery team seem good and they will have 2 weeks off after Saturday.

13 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think they will play a part but I would think he will ask Bobby and Luke to give us a good hour first.  Our recovery team seem good and they will have 2 weeks off after Saturday.

Good point PSR, and of course LJ will be acutely aware of that.

As LJ said though, several players did look very much on their last legs last night, and it's possible he played them to the bitter end in the full knowledge he intended to rest them on Saturday.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I thought Bobby had a very solid game.

He did inexplicably fall over at one stage, giving the ball away - but, as with Freeman these things happen - and he also made a notable recovery tackle after a previous indiscretion, and this ability - and determination - to chase down the opposition and regain possession after a mistake is a very welcome addition to his game this season.

He did look completely knackered well before the end and I would question LJ's decision to take off Tomlin instead of him. Tomlin was taking the game to Leeds at the time and there was obviously no need to save his legs for Saturday. Tomlin was a vital outlet for us at that stage of the game, and after he was subbed we visibly gave ground and suffered for his absence. 

Despite having a good game, and LT's  suspension, LJ's squad rotation policy indicates Bobby is likely to be rested for Forest, with Brownhill probably stepping in.

If he's benched it won't be due to poor form, but having played the full 90 in the last 3 League games he's simply due for a rest.

As a précaution , Tomlin was on a yellow card .

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I thought Bobby had a very solid game.

He did inexplicably fall over at one stage, giving the ball away - but, as with Freeman these things happen - and he also made a notable recovery tackle after a previous indiscretion, and this ability - and determination - to chase down the opposition and regain possession after a mistake is a very welcome addition to his game this season.

He did look completely knackered well before the end and I would question LJ's decision to take off Tomlin instead of him. Tomlin was taking the game to Leeds at the time and there was obviously no need to save his legs for Saturday. Tomlin was a vital outlet for us at that stage of the game, and after he was subbed we visibly gave ground and suffered for his absence. 

Despite having a good game, and LT's  suspension, LJ's squad rotation policy indicates Bobby is likely to be rested for Forest, with Brownhill probably stepping in.

If he's benched it won't be due to poor form, but having played the full 90 in the last 3 League games he's simply due for a rest.

As a précaution , Tomlin was on a yellow card .

3 hours ago, Super said:

I can see where the OP is coming from. I have said for a while I think his best position would be in one of the 3 off Tammy, but he can do a job in a 2 man midfield.

I think indiviudally he is most effective as one of the 3 attacking midfielders. But, for our team I think he is most effective in the 2 man midfield. I think he really does link the attack and defence very well, has the quickness of mind to use the ball well in tight spaces and release the forward four and has shown good intelligence and positioning to marshall the midfield in a way that role requires. It also then frees space for a selection of Paterson, Freeman Bryan, O'Dowda to play along Tomlin

Archived