IGNORED

Britains greatest bridges

Red Army 75

Yeah was a very good documentary.. although you think they could have waited till the Abotts Leigh Tower was finished! can't of been more than a month after they filmed that!

I finally caught up with the Severn Bridge one was as well on BBC 4 in the week. That was a really great documentary.

Very interesting documentaries, the local familiarity only made it more so, most of us probably think of those bridges and thought we knew all there was to know.... Wrong! there was so much still to learn and a few surprises in both cases. Good series.

Must say though, those bridges have definitely taken their toll on most of us over the years.

Bump

Channel 5 is doing a new series of "The world's greatest bridges" and in this series have done the golden gate bridge, the Sydney harbour bridge, the Brooklyn bridge, the millau  bridge.

Anyway the Severn bridge is the subject  this week and will be on at 8pm on Friday on channel 5.

Worth a watch as it's an excellent series so far. 

17 hours ago, Barry Sheene said:

Bump

Channel 5 is doing a new series of "The world's greatest bridges" and in this series have done the golden gate bridge, the Sydney harbour bridge, the Brooklyn bridge, the millau  bridge.

Anyway the Severn bridge is the subject  this week and will be on at 8pm on Friday on channel 5.

Worth a watch as it's an excellent series so far. 

Bristolian born and bred, I am obviously biased about the Clifton Suspension Bridge, but the Millau Viaduct is certainly a magnificent work of art.

If you are ever down that way, take a little pause and go to one of the viewing sights below the bridge - and have a little trip in to Millau itself and buy some of the locally made leather goods.

Thanks Phil toured down to Spain on my bike in 2012 and went through the millau area  and did the visitors centre and crossed the bridge. Sir Norman Foster the designer has said that he wanted the experience of going over the bridge to feel like you were flying over it. On my motorcycle it certainly felt like that. It's the most beautiful bridge I have ever seen . As you said well worth a visit.

8 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

Thanks Phil toured down to Spain on my bike in 2012 and went through the millau area  and did the visitors centre and crossed the bridge. Sir Norman Foster the designer has said that he wanted the experience of going over the bridge to feel like you were flying over it. On my motorcycle it certainly felt like that. It's the most beautiful bridge I have ever seen . As you said well worth a visit.

Obviously you are not allowed to, but should you ever, cough, break down and be forced to stop half way across the bridge, take just a few minutes whilst you are letting your radiator cool down to look over the surrounding scenery - amazing.  

When I was at Junior school our Teacher informed us that if you dropped a penny from the Clifton suspension bridge to the road below it would kill a pedestrian if it struck their head. If you dropped a marble onto a passing ship, that marble would drill straight through the deck.

He told us this to explain the theory behind gravitation pull as being 9 metres /second squared so that the further an object falls, the greater it's sped and therefore kinetic energy. For some reason though he never took us to the bridge to prove his theories.

31 minutes ago, 22A said:

When I was at Junior school our Teacher informed us that if you dropped a penny from the Clifton suspension bridge to the road below it would kill a pedestrian if it struck their head. If you dropped a marble onto a passing ship, that marble would drill straight through the deck.

He told us this to explain the theory behind gravitation pull as being 9 metres /second squared so that the further an object falls, the greater it's sped and therefore kinetic energy. For some reason though he never took us to the bridge to prove his theories.

I'm sorry to say that your teacher was talking absolute bollox!

It stems from the great myth surrounding the Empire State Building in New York that stands at 381m. A "penny" falling from that height would hit the ground at 64mph. It'll sting, but it wont kill, you can THROW things faster than that. The same penny would also hit the ground at 64mph even if you were only even 20 meters in height from the ground.

While its true to say mass vs gravity, there will be a point where it reaches its maximum speed, its called "Terminal Velocity" and that is determined by its shape and size, a 1kg bullet will fall faster than a 1kg pancake because the pancake will have a greater resistance of air acting upon it. The penny in question reaches its terminal velocity (64mph) after around 15m, it wont go any faster than that.

On 28/11/2017 at 14:55, PHILINFRANCE said:

Bristolian born and bred, I am obviously biased about the Clifton Suspension Bridge, but the Millau Viaduct is certainly a magnificent work of art.

If you are ever down that way, take a little pause and go to one of the viewing sights below the bridge - and have a little trip in to Millau itself and buy some of the locally made leather goods.

Designed by our very own architect  superstar ' Norman Foster ' , take a bow son . 

:clap:

On 29/11/2017 at 13:28, 22A said:

I'm sure it works the same with spit. 

Archived