IGNORED

RIP Graham Taylor

RUSSEL85

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Very good club manager from an era when English top flight sides still had English players.

RIP.

yes people only seem to remember his failings at international level which is a pity, at club level he was very successful, I think overall people in time will remember him with the respect he deserved  

I always associate him with the 1997-98 season when we went up with Watford, John Ward was our manager.  Watford just pipped us for the League title, but over a season City and Watford were both way ahead of the chasing pack.  Next season we had Ward sacked, Benny, Carl Hutchings, Tony Thorpe  bought for a million and hardly used, and relegation.  Graham Taylor got Watford promoted via the play-offs. 

It was around this time Scott Davidson used to tell us that only he and the then Watford Chairman (Elton John) were the only Football Chairmen to have played live at Wembley (SD having tinkled the ivories with Bros!)

Met Graham Taylor once.

Back in 1998 City and Watford was neck and neck in the Div 3 title race and was due to play on Easter Bank Holiday Monday at Ashton Gate  if memory serves me correct.

So on the morning of the match about a dozen of us was drinking in the Horn and Trumpet on the centre when I notice Luther Blissett walk past the window or was assistant manager at Watford, I ran out the Pub to have a quick word with him, he was taken aback but did inform me that the Watford players was staying at the Swallow hotel.

So with this information I went back inside the Pub and informed my mates that Watford was at the Swallow, so we all thought it was a good idea to walk round to Swallow and have a pint in the hotel bar.

Once inside the hotel bar with drink in hand we started what the youngest now call "bants" with Watford players, to be honest it was one  way "bants" as the Watford players looked very sheepish with our present in their hotel and then low and be hold the ex England manager Graham Taylor walks past.

Obviously a few comments was said in the direction of Graham but instead of head down walking past like the rest of the players and that is  what I would have done in that situation Graham came over to us and sat down and started chatting to us.

At the time Graham still had the all ex -England manager thing hanging over him and his standing in the eyes of football at that time was still quite low and who  can forget that infamous documentary when he was England Manager.

Graham spent a good twenty mins chatting to us , he didn't need to , but he was an absolute gentleman who passion for football really came across and he charmed me and my mates and totally change my opinion of him.

Watford went on to win the title and then a year later gain promotion to the Premier League.

In subsequent years Graham went on to be one of the best pundit on the Radio, who always spoke with honesty , integrity and respect.

Nearly twenty years later I recall my brief chat with Graham with affection.

Football has lost a great servant today.

Rest in Peace Graham, a true gentleman.

Very sad about this news. Watford would not be where they are without him. Also a great pioneer in the development of black players in the English game, the video of him defending john Barnes from a racist fan reminds me that we are nothing if we are not human.

if Koeman had been sent off them his England tenure could have been so different.

RIP

4 hours ago, lenred said:

He was indeed a fantastic pundit, no frills (bit like his football!) but said it like it was and provided fantastic insight and opinion. Always enjoyed listening to him. RIP Mr. Taylor. 

Got to agree with you, always spoke with a passion and love of the game and very knowledgable. Sad to hear he has died and we have lost a true football man 

Just to add another....only read this news about an hour or so ago, genuinely shocked. Seemed a thoroughly good man, always good entertainment on radio & TV as a pundit.

Condolences to the Taylor family and his friends @ Lincoln, Watford & Aston Villa.

RIP Graham. 

Mr Taylor was a proper football bloke, he achieved miracles with Watford taking them up all the divisions with four promotions in five years to finish runners up in the top flight.

He also took Villa up to the top flight in his first season in charge and them promptly took them to runners up in the top division the next season! Another achievement which seems truly remarkable now.

And it's strange that most people forget he managed Wolves too!

He seemed to have a top sense of humour, was an incredible club manager and deserves to rest easy in the knowledge he made a major impact on the game in this country.

RIP GT

His achievements at Watford were really astounding. 

This was a club with no real football history as such and a ground that at the time made the Mem. Stad look like Old Trafford. He took them  from the old division 4 in 1977 to runners up to Liverpool in the 1st division in 82-83, the EUAFA league followed and a Cup final. This alone would be   an amazing achievement. However, when Watford were relegated back to the 3rd division in the late 90s he went back as manager and then achieved successive  promotions to take them to the top flight once again.

So much of his career is clouded by his time as England manager that it's easy to forget that not only did he achieve all this at Watford, but he also took Villa from the second division to 1st division runners up as well - again in  successive seasons.

From all the obituaries it seems he was universally liked as a nice and decent man, so RIP GT.

Archived