IGNORED

£7M of talent not involved

headhunter

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

If you've read Peterborough Chairman Darragh McAnthony's book, From Hobby to Obsession, he talks about the time when GJ was his manager there. One comment stuck in my mind which is quite pertinent now. He wrote that GJ was always saying "I just need one more player Mr. Chairman".

I can just hear LJ saying the same to MA & SL! How many players has he signed  and still he says he needs another window! He's spunked away most of the money we received for Kodjia, Bolasie et al on some OK players but some duds as well it would seem.

The policy seems to be by as many as possible and by the law of averages they won't all be *hit. 

Last night we had £7m of talent either sat at home watching Eastenders (Engvall £2M, Magnusson £2M, O'Dowda £1.2M) or playing for Bury (Moore £1M)! Unbelievable that we at BCFC can afford the luxury of this and the associated £35k [?] weekly wage cost.

SL is deluded if he thinks LJ can turn this around IMHO.

Because all of the signings are his fault? 

Yet we praise MA to the rafters for getting them across the line each time.

I would say he has his say on players but the tradional manager with all decisions has gone.

We've also got rid of 9 players (from memory) and completely overhauled the squad with in my opinion very good signings.

Yes blame LJ all you want for performances but it seems every so called bad City decision is being passed onto LJ. 

20 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Because all of the signings are his fault? 

Yet we praise MA to the rafters for getting them across the line each time.

I would say he has his say on players but the tradional manager with all decisions has gone.

We've also got rid of 9 players (from memory) and completely overhauled the squad with in my opinion very good signings.

Yes blame LJ all you want for performances but it seems every so called bad City decision is being passed onto LJ. 

So does the process go something like this;

- Lee says I need this position or that position

- Des and team find the players

- Des, Mark and Lee discuss which one(s) we want, which ones are attainable etc, Lee has final say

- Mark does the deal (assuming SL sanctions it)

What does Lee do if the team don't unearth any players he likes, dies he just go along with it and let Mark bring them in? Surely not?

So, you'd hope all players who have come in Lee was happy with, whether for now or nearly now.

Isn't then his prerogative / responsibility to get those that he picks in his starting eleven to play well together?

Perhaps Des and Mark are coming up with crap players and being very persuasive :facepalm:

With my lesser knowledge of world footballers than Des and team, I've been really happy with every signing.  Couldn't really comment on Giefer, Hegeler and Engvall as I'd never heard of them, but all the others looked decent signings.

I have now watched them all play, and I still think they are all decent signings....but only one man sends them out over the  white line to perform.

It is crazy ready this thread realising just how many players Johnson has signed for you within the space of two transfer windows. We seem to employ the evolution not revolution policy which is much more steady and seems to work rather than buying players en masse. 

Obviously the squad is now completely different to the one which Grayson inherited from Westley but he just signs 4/5 quality players per window and slowly but surely the team gets better and progresses without any major overhaul.

11 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

It is crazy ready this thread realising just how many players Johnson has signed for you within the space of two transfer windows. We seem to employ the evolution not revolution policy which is much more steady and seems to work rather than buying players en masse. 

Obviously the squad is now completely different to the one which Grayson inherited from Westley but he just signs 4/5 quality players per window and slowly but surely the team gets better and progresses without any major overhaul.

When our respective teams got promoted- our team and manager was found wanting yet only managed 2 signings ( Kodjia being one) and rooted to the bottom of the Championship last season meant that when a new man came in there was only going to be revolution not evolution and that's exactly what the fans wanted.

Problem is it hasn't worked out with the Head Coach being able to blend the massive talent at his disposal into anything resembling a winning team in months.

We dream of our team getting better without any major overhaul.

48 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Because you got a good experienced manager.

5 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

A couple of points

- To be fair to Johnson, he's signed a lot of players and I don't think many - if any - can be called 'duds'. Plenty of players not playing to their potential but I can't think of any LJ signings that are fundamentally poor players. You can't judge the likes of Moore and O'Dowda on their contribution this season as that's not why they were signed. Ekstrand gamble didn't pay off for whatever reason but that was always a risk. 

Completely agree with the signings. Overall they've been very good. There's a part of me that wonders if Johnson is a good scout but a poor manager. Every week it seems like the team is selected by pulling numbers from a hat. There's no getting away from the results.

5 hours ago, headhunter said:

If you've read Peterborough Chairman Darragh McAnthony's book, From Hobby to Obsession, he talks about the time when GJ was his manager there. One comment stuck in my mind which is quite pertinent now. He wrote that GJ was always saying "I just need one more player Mr. Chairman".

I can just hear LJ saying the same to MA & SL! How many players has he signed  and still he says he needs another window! He's spunked away most of the money we received for Kodjia, Bolasie et al on some OK players but some duds as well it would seem.

The policy seems to be by as many as possible and by the law of averages they won't all be *hit. 

Last night we had £7m of talent either sat at home watching Eastenders (Engvall £2M, Magnusson £2M, O'Dowda £1.2M) or playing for Bury (Moore £1M)! Unbelievable that we at BCFC can afford the luxury of this and the associated £35k [?] weekly wage cost.

SL is deluded if he thinks LJ can turn this around IMHO.

Lee Johnson and Mark Ashton signed these players, checked they have the right DNA etc. but they are not good enough to play?

Either these are very bad signings or the two individuals who signed them made serious some errors.

Alternatively the manager has no idea how to get them to play in his team or how to get the best out of them, or perhaps the manager has no idea how to manage a championship club.

I believe Lee Johnson has no more idea what his best team or best formation is over 1 year on.

Magnusson is a very good player but the others certainly are not good enough for regular championship football, who should be held responsible for these signings? and should SL give them more money?

I really think Magnusson is a very good championship player they made a good signing with him, we a struggling and he can't get in the match day squad let alone on the pitch.

Archived