IGNORED

£7M of talent not involved

headhunter

If you've read Peterborough Chairman Darragh McAnthony's book, From Hobby to Obsession, he talks about the time when GJ was his manager there. One comment stuck in my mind which is quite pertinent now. He wrote that GJ was always saying "I just need one more player Mr. Chairman".

I can just hear LJ saying the same to MA & SL! How many players has he signed  and still he says he needs another window! He's spunked away most of the money we received for Kodjia, Bolasie et al on some OK players but some duds as well it would seem.

The policy seems to be by as many as possible and by the law of averages they won't all be *hit. 

Last night we had £7m of talent either sat at home watching Eastenders (Engvall £2M, Magnusson £2M, O'Dowda £1.2M) or playing for Bury (Moore £1M)! Unbelievable that we at BCFC can afford the luxury of this and the associated £35k [?] weekly wage cost.

SL is deluded if he thinks LJ can turn this around IMHO.

Just now, headhunter said:

If you've read Peterborough Chairman Darragh McAnthony's book, From Hobby to Obsession, he talks about the time when GJ was his manager there. One comment stuck in my mind which is quite pertinent now. He wrote that GJ was always saying "I just need one more player Mr. Chairman".

I can just hear LJ saying the same to MA & SL! How many players has he signed  and still he says he needs another window! He's spunked away most of the money we received for Kodjia, Bolasie et al on some OK players but some duds as well it would seem.

The policy seems to be by as many as possible and by the law of averages they won't all be *hit. 

Last night we had £7m of talent either sat at home watching Eastenders (Engvall £2M, Magnusson £2M, O'Dowda £1.2M) or playing for Bury (Moore £1M)! Unbelievable that we at BCFC can afford the luxury of this and the associated £35k [?] weekly wage cost.

Oh no ................

This is indirect (ish) criticism of Lee Johnson: the MODS are going to cut you to ribbons and feed you to the happy clappers.

"Incoming!!!!!!!!!"

:tomato:

tfj

1 minute ago, Fiale said:

@headhunter You forgot our £5 million Bobby Reid. LJ does have some strange ideas, he said Bryan would be a Premier League quality left back - yet he doesn't even play him in that position in a struggling Championship side

Sell Reid and use the money to:-

1) sack LJ (there - I've said it now), and pay him off;

2) FFS: get Pardew in and give the rest of the money to him.

'Sorted'.

"FFS"

tfj

3 minutes ago, Fiale said:

@headhunter You forgot our £5 million Bobby Reid. LJ does have some strange ideas, he said Bryan would be a Premier League quality left back - yet he doesn't even play him in that position in a struggling Championship side

That's because he's not a left back as long as I got a hole In my chuffer

2 minutes ago, Fiale said:

:clapping:If that ever happens I will go and support the gas Forest Green:whistle:

A couple of points

- The squad was absolutely tiny before. Now it's an average size but people are fooled into thinking it's huge because they thought it was normal to only have 16 players. Loan rules also made things very difficult in regards to squad size. There have also been a fair few outgoings not just additions, which balances things regards wages  

- SL made it clear he wanted us to sign young talent and reap the rewards in future years. I see nothing wrong with Moore spending time on loan for example. It's a win win for everyone.

- To be fair to Johnson, he's signed a lot of players and I don't think many - if any - can be called 'duds'. Plenty of players not playing to their potential but I can't think of any LJ signings that are fundamentally poor players. You can't judge the likes of Moore and O'Dowda on their contribution this season as that's not why they were signed. Ekstrand gamble didn't pay off for whatever reason but that was always a risk. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

A couple of points

- The squad was absolutely tiny before. Now it's an average size but people are fooled into thinking it's huge because they thought it was normal to only have 16 players. Loan rules also made things very difficult in regards to squad size. There have also been a fair few outgoings not just additions, which balances things regards wages  

- SL made it clear he wanted us to sign young talent and reap the rewards in future years. I see nothing wrong with Moore spending time on loan for example. It's a win win for everyone.

- To be fair to Johnson, he's signed a lot of players and I don't think many - if any - can be called 'duds'. Plenty of players not playing to their potential but I can't think of any LJ signings that are fundamentally poor players. You can't judge the likes of Moore and O'Dowda on their contribution this season as that's not why they were signed. Ekstrand gamble didn't pay off for whatever reason but that was always a risk. 

:facepalm:

OMG.

You are defending Lee? I can't believe my eyes.

You dirty bird.

:disapointed2se:

tfj

P.S. :disapointed2se:

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

- SL made it clear he wanted us to sign young talent and reap the rewards in future years.

We have signed players for the future not the here and now -can anyone say if we get relegated all these potential gems will want to be involved in another League 1 campaign.

They will want out big time, Hegler who has played in the Champions League will not be impressed by the thoughts of Rochdale away.

Footballers  have short careers so anyone who has anything about them will just ride off into the sunset . and so the cycle continues sell these players  and spend on more young promising players.

15 minutes ago, Fiale said:

A month ago everyone was moaning at LJ for playing Bryan LB because "he's never a LB". Now people are moaning at LJ for not playing Bryan LB because "you said he was a LB!" So which is it to be? This is all just people looking for another stick to beat LJ with imo

2 minutes ago, Youngish said:

A month ago everyone was moaning at LJ for playing Bryan LB because "he's never a LB". Now people are moaning at LJ for not playing Bryan LB because "you said he was a LB!" So which is it to be? This is all just people looking for another stick to beat LJ with imo

It think your reading comprehension needs work, or your mind is just pre-set and went along the well worn path instead of actually thinking about the post.

We all know he's not a LB - but LJ is the Championship coach not us. 

5 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

We have signed players for the future not the here and now 

That's not true though is it?

Tomlin, O'Neil, Abraham, Taylor, Djuric, Cotterill, Wright, Hegeler, Giefer, Paterson, Matthews, Magnusson were all signed for or played a large part in the here and now. 

O'Dowda, Brownhill and Moore were all primarily signed for the future I believe but even the former two have had a role to play this season. 

8 minutes ago, Youngish said:

No-one needs to "look" for a stick - LJ supplies them by the tree load.

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

That's not true though is it?

Tomlin, O'Neil, Abraham, Taylor, Djuric, Cotterill, Wright, Hegeler, Giefer, Paterson, Matthews, Magnusson were all signed for or played a large part in the here and now. 

O'Dowda, Brownhill and Moore were all primarily signed for the future I believe but even the former two have had a role to play this season. 

You do make a valid point - but I would have preferred us to recruit experienced championship players during the last window rather than an optimistic punt on unproven foreign imports who may or may not be able to adapt.

Think Sabario or Styvar

3 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

You do make a valid point - but I would have preferred us to recruit experienced championship players during the last window rather than an optimistic punt on unproven foreign imports who may or may not be able to adapt.

Think Sabario or Styvar

Good point. Though I think we got the balance a little wrong in the summer in terms of experience vs potential and Jan was a case of picking up what we could. 

Some interesting point made but who would you have signed and not signed?

Obviously none of us know the exact figures involved - with one 300k exception - but who from the current squad would you have probably not signed and who would you have liked to have seen instead, try and keep the spend roughly the same.

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Can't understand why SL is still supporting him when he's chucking HIS money away!! Either he's got so much cash to spare that he doesn't give a toss, or he doesn't want to admit they made a bad decision! If I was bankrolling City..... I wish!....... I'd be going ape by now!!

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

A couple of points

The loan rules have made a huge difference to all clubs. 

The shape, size and cost of our squad is out of any BCFC Manager's hands although the team selection is not.

I was a whole lot more disillusioned when we could barely field a full team on a match day  I'm not really sure who has been signed this season who should not have been. In isolation , they all look pretty good or pretty good potentially. The problem is not about how many or how much- it's purely about getting them to play to their individual strengths and as a team  which rarely happens.

There is nothing wrong with having talent on the bench or not in the squad, one day when we are in the Premier League... hang on... just a second   :rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br:  we will have tens of millions in the squad not participating, so think of this season as practice, climatising you to the future.

40 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Some interesting point made but who would you have signed and not signed?

Obviously none of us know the exact figures involved - with one 300k exception - but who from the current squad would you have probably not signed and who would you have liked to have seen instead, try and keep the spend roughly the same.

Ok most of the incomings and outgoings would have been the same but...

No Ekstrand, no Engvall for a start- don't sell Ayling either. I wouldn't blame anyone for re-signing Matthews as he looked an excellent signing on paper. How many has Paterson played? O'Dowda? Could argue to keep the latter 2 but could probably improve a bit further financially and stability wise with Engvall and Ekstrand not bothered with and keep Ayling.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ok most of the incomings and outgoings would have been the same but...

No Ekstrand, no Engvall for a start- don't sell Ayling either. I wouldn't blame anyone for re-signing Matthews as he looked an excellent signing on paper. How many has Paterson played? O'Dowda? Could argue to keep the latter 2 but could probably improve a bit further financially and stability wise with Engvall and Ekstrand not bothered with and keep Ayling.

Problem is Ayling wanted to go so not much we could do, same with Kodjia. Engvall probably seemed like a good bet, we knew we had Tammy, but only for a season, so we bring someone in we hope can get a few games and be his replacement next season (we were also short on forwards). Our defence was not great last year, and we needed a replacement for Baker, so Ekstrand also seemed a good move. In-hindsight it did not work out, but at the time it probably was the right move, and if not them you would have had to bring in someone and they equally might not have worked out.  

7 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Problem is Ayling wanted to go so not much we could do, same with Kodjia. Engvall probably seemed like a good bet, we knew we had Tammy, but only for a season, so we bring someone in we hope can get a few games and be his replacement next season (we were also short on forwards). Our defence was not great last year, and we needed a replacement for Baker, so Ekstrand also seemed a good move. In-hindsight it did not work out, but at the time it probably was the right move, and if not them you would have had to bring in someone and they equally might not have worked out.  

That's all good points. I was thinking of the churn factor too, having such a high turnover of players definitely does not help for lots of reasons. Yeah I don't like criticising with hindsight, just feel things could have been handled a bit differently.

Archived