IGNORED

All The Managers Who Have Reversed Their Own Historically Bad Run

Xiled

Here's a picture of those managers.

emptyroom.jpg.2a48217aaa4b6b9b9db6b63ce30a0ac4.jpg

I get the idea that they want to give LJ as much time as possible.  Sometimes managers and coaches are sacked too early.  We know there is a weird family-like relationship between the majority shareholder and first team coach.

But where do they think this will end?

It's clearly gone really, really badly wrong.  I can't think of a single example where a manager who has overseen such an unprecedented run (that will now probably result in relegation) has reversed the direction of travel and taken the club back to where it was or ideally higher than before.  If Steve Lansdown's stated ambition is to reach the Premer League in the near future then how can we possibly attain that from a coach who has managed 2 wins in the last 22 league matches?  It just doesn't happen in football.  Those squad players are now mostly Lee Johnson's choices and he has failed with them.

Whatever loyalty and support the board of Bristol City think they are showing Lee Johnson, they are only prolonging the problem.  The die is cast and it's the next coach or manager who will have a realistic chance to take us upwards.  We can debate Lee Johnson's ability as a coach forever and a day but the inescapable truth is that since October he has not been able to stop us losing most of our matches.

Sentiment is winning out over realism.  Naivety is beating reality.  Bloody mindedness is brushing aside the hard facts.  Sadly Bristol City win very little. 

I'm not a football historian but I'm struggling to think of a comparable situation where excellent form has followed an extended period of terrible form.  Genuine question, has this ever happened?

37 minutes ago, Xiled said:

I get the idea that they want to give LJ as much time as possible.  Sometimes managers and coaches are sacked too early.  We know there is a weird family-like relationship between the majority shareholder and first team coach.

It's clearly gone really, really badly wrong.  I can't think of a single example where a manager who has overseen such an unprecedented run (that will now probably result in relegation) has reversed the direction of travel and taken the club back to where it was or ideally higher than before.  If Steve Lansdown's stated ambition is to reach the Premer League in the near future then how can we possibly attain that from a coach who has managed 2 wins in the last 22 league matches?  It just doesn't happen in football.  Those squad players are now mostly Lee Johnson's choices and he has failed with them.

Whatever loyalty and support the board of Bristol City think they are showing Lee Johnson, they are only prolonging the problem.  The die is cast and it's the next coach or manager who will have a realistic chance to take us upwards.  We can debate Lee Johnson's ability as a coach forever and a day but the inescapable truth is that since October he has not been able to stop us losing most of our matches.

Sentiment is winning out over realism.  Naivety is beating reality.  Bloody mindedness is brushing aside the hard facts.  Sadly Bristol City win very little. 

I'm not a football historian but I'm struggling to think of a comparable situation where excellent form has followed an extended period of terrible form.  Genuine question, has this ever happened?

Only our very own 'magician' (enter your own description of choice) Lee Johnson who turned around a diabolical run at Barnsley, so I'm led to believe by the hype machine, to make sure they were promoted even though he left 5 months before they were. He was also responsible for them winning the JP trophy also (even though he hadn't been there for 2 months). So we're in really safe hands. Not. 

14 minutes ago, lenred said:

Only our very own 'magician' (enter your own description of choice) Lee Johnson who turned around a diabolical run at Barnsley, so I'm led to believe by the hype machine, to make sure they were promoted even though he left 5 months before they were. He was also responsible for them winning the JP trophy also (even though he hadn't been there for 2 months). So we're in really safe hands. Not. 

He learnt a lot from that losing run.  Or so he used to say...... 

49 minutes ago, Xiled said:

Nice parquet.

20 minutes ago, lenred said:

You forgot to add he is also responsible, despite not being there, for Barnsley's excellent run this season.  He did of course lay all the ground work - just some other lucky sod got to take all the glory.

5 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

You forgot to add he is also responsible, despite not being there, for Barnsley's excellent run this season.  He did of course lay all the ground work - just some other lucky sod got to take all the glory.

It happens or will happen at every club but like in real life there are lucky people and unlucky people look in the mirror and see which you are

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Gary Johnson had a pretty bad start- how long would said losing streak/failing streak have to be to qualiy for this?

There must be someone though...

Brian Clough only won 12 from 32 games at Brighton (including a 4-0 loss to Walton and Hersham). At least he had the spine to resign though... we all know what happened next

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Gary Johnson had a pretty bad start- how long would said losing streak/failing streak have to be to qualiy for this?

There must be someone though...

Seven defeats in a row during Oct/Nov 2005.  And if I remember correctly there were definitely people calling for him to go!

18 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Brian Clough only won 12 from 32 games at Brighton (including a 4-0 loss to Walton and Hersham). At least he had the spine to resign though... we all know what happened next

In Clough's day it was only 2 points for a win, but if we apply today's 3 points per win,  that's 36 points from 31 league games! That's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious compared to LJ's record. 

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

In Clough's day it was only 2 points for a win, but if we apply today's 3 points per win,  that's 36 points from 31 league games! That's supercalfralistic compare to LJ's record. 

true, but the 4-0 whipping by the mighty Walton and Hersham must've had Seagulls fans frothing at the mouth

11 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

On the basis that we have won 5 from our last 32 (and only 2 from our last 23) league games, these results would have elevated the Manager onto a pedestal at the Gate right now....

My thinking is that we should all support a more success team, such as the Faroe Islands, or San Marino...

Why the heck do people keep bringing up Sir Alex when discussing LJ. Its insulting to Sir Alex.

When Fergie had the bad run in 1990 lets not forget the experience and respect he already had in the game.

He broke the duopoly of Celtic and Rangers, winning the SPL multiple times, Scottish Cup and beat Real Madrid to take the Cup Winners Cup. His time at Aberdeen is seriously underrated.

What has LJ done? Nothing, just average in the third tier of English football.

1 hour ago, Xiled said:

Rosler, who is not an unpopular next choice of coach with a few City fans I know had a terrible run with in either the season before or the season he got Brentford to the play-off final.

To say mangers never turn round poor runs is incorrect.  Many aren't given time to do do these days.

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Would you like any actual statements or just going to spin everything as much as you can?

No one said LJ got Barnsley promoted or won them the JPT.

It has been said he turned their form around to start their promotion run (fact) and he got them to the JPT final (fact).

Never mind, twist what has been said just so you can make a sarcastic comment...

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Would you like any actual statements or just going to spin everything as much as you can?

It has been said he turned their form around to start their promotion run (fact) and he got them to the JPT final (fact).

Never mind, twist what has been said just so you can make a sarcastic comment...

No need for 'spin' or 'twisting' here JBCFC. If you think LJ was instrumental in Barnsley getting promoted or winning the JPT then fair play to you. That's your prerogative. I think their current incumbent Paul Heckingbottom may have something to say about that, and would be backed up by the vast majority Barnsley fans. 

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Trying to be objective but from a coaching point of view, Lee Johnson's Barnsley team have done much better since he left.  It could be argued that he was holding them back from their true potential.

Fergie had bad/dry spells every now and then

Wenger always has a bad spell in January/February

Conte's start to the season didn't go well, he saw what needed to be changed. Look where Chelsea are now

Liverpool this season year have been poor so far, look to be picking up form now.

Pulis is doing well with WBA now, one stage WBA fans wanted him out.

In this league, Leeds had a dreadful start. Monk made changes, they're flying now.

I've always said don't judge a Head Coach/Manager when they are flying high. Judge them when the results are not going well, and what changes they made to reverse their fortunes. LJ has demonstrated he cannot turn it around.

In the first season after promotion to the top division in 1976/77, Alan Dicks as manager saved us from relegation with a 5 match unbeaten run ending in the famous draw away at Coventry and also included beating Leeds and Liverpool.

This after a run of 9 games without a win (including 6 on the trot) from September to November, as well as a run of 3 defeats and a draw on the trot and another run of 3 consecutive defeats at other periods of the season.

As we all know he kept us in the top division for a few seasons afterwards before it ended with relegation, him getting the sack and ultimately 1982 and all that.......

So not as bad a run as we are on now however he did turn it around, we avoided relegation and we ended up with the unforgettable night at Coventry.

Archived