IGNORED

All The Managers Who Have Reversed Their Own Historically Bad Run

Xiled

52 minutes ago, B block said:

Does anyone know the last manager to be employed the whole season and get relegated, normally their sacked half way through ?

also who is the last manager to do the whole season get relegated and still start the next season?

Sean Dyche.

This is the best escape story I've ever heard, concerning Lincoln City. Its also a chapter in the great book, Football's Strangest Tales.

http://www.redimps.co.uk/news/article/the-bill-anderson-years-1947-1962-212439.aspx

1957-58: Lincoln produced the most dramatic escape from relegation in League history. They were at the bottom of the 2nd Division, with only 19 points from 36 games, when they won their last six games in April 1958 3-1 on April 8 at Barnsley, 3-1 on April 12 at Doncaster, 2-0 on April 19 at home to Rotherham, 4-0 at home to Bristol City on April 23, 1-0 at Huddersfield on April 26 and 3-1 at home to Cardiff on April 30 to escape relegation by a point. Notts County with 30 points and Doncaster with 27 points were the clubs relegated.

54 minutes ago, lenred said:

No need for 'spin' or 'twisting' here JBCFC. If you think LJ was instrumental in Barnsley getting promoted or winning the JPT then fair play to you. That's your prerogative. I think their current incumbent Paul Heckingbottom may have something to say about that, and would be backed up by the vast majority Barnsley fans. 

Where have I suggested Heckingbottom didn't have anything to do with it?

To pretend Johnson had nothing to do with the JPT win is sheer arrogance and disrespect. Did he win it for them? No. But how can they win it without getting to the final? Johnsons final game in charge sealed their place at Wembley, so he absolutely played a role in them having the opportunity to win it.

"Instrumental in Barnsley getting promotion" again, where have I said that? Spin machine in full effect again. He did turn around their poor form and started a 6? game winning run in the league. Heckingbottom then carried it on from there.

I'm not saying Johnson is instrumental in their promotion by any stretch, just posted some facts.

52 minutes ago, Xiled said:

Trying to be objective but from a coaching point of view, Lee Johnson's Barnsley team have done much better since he left.  It could be argued that he was holding them back from their true potential.

It could be argued that. My post wasn't defending Johnson. I'm just fed up with people posting bullshit to further an anti LJ sentiment (as if they need to do that in the first place!)

The post I quoted had spun everything to take credit away from LJ at every opportunity, and while I have defended LJ in the past, I'm not doing that here, I'm just standing up for what actually happened, rather than the current vogue thing of making out Johnson to be the antichrist who turns everything he touches into shit.

People keep calling him a manager but they make a particular point in the club of calling him a head coach. It's the coaching that is the problem.   You should never commit to one coach long term - sometimes it never gels or sometimes it just stops gelling - see Ranieri.

With LJ there's no gel.  KY time.

1 hour ago, Xiled said:

Seven defeats in a row during Oct/Nov 2005.  And if I remember correctly there were definitely people calling for him to go!

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Indeed. And it was worse than that- after a mini revival we lost a few more and were in the relegation zone approaching mid February!

The reason for Gary Johnson's poor run was a battle with some of the senior pros at the club who didn't like his methods. He had to ride it out and demonstrate that he wasn't budging by bringing in any old garbage on loan to play ahead of the problem players. Sooner or later most of them got it. Some people did get very concerned at the time but it was always possible to see what he was doing and why he was doing it.

If Lee Johnson has had problems with players this season then all the rumours suggest that they've been players he brought in himself and his inconsistency in selection hasn't suggested he was going to sit tight until they toed the line.

With Gary Johnson things had to get worse before they got better. With Lee Johnson things got worse and then even worse.

35 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Where have I suggested Heckingbottom didn't have anything to do with it?

To pretend Johnson had nothing to do with the JPT win is sheer arrogance and disrespect. Did he win it for them? No. But how can they win it without getting to the final? Johnsons final game in charge sealed their place at Wembley, so he absolutely played a role in them having the opportunity to win it.

"Instrumental in Barnsley getting promotion" again, where have I said that? Spin machine in full effect again. He did turn around their poor form and started a 6? game winning run in the league. Heckingbottom then carried it on from there.

I'm not saying Johnson is instrumental in their promotion by any stretch, just posted some facts.

It could be argued that. My post wasn't defending Johnson. I'm just fed up with people posting bullshit to further an anti LJ sentiment (as if they need to do that in the first place!)

The post I quoted had spun everything to take credit away from LJ at every opportunity, and while I have defended LJ in the past, I'm not doing that here, I'm just standing up for what actually happened, rather than the current vogue thing of making out Johnson to be the antichrist who turns everything he touches into shit.

You can get as het up with my original post on this as much as you want. I seem to be receiving your ire for the vast majority who want him gone. Fine. But in my post I simply put a sarcastic spin on 'facts' as you put it in answer to the OPs question of turning losing runs around. Johnson did turn it around. After a shocking run that he was in charge of. Fact.  It didn't lead to promotion. Heckingbottom did that. Johnson also won a JPT Semi Final. Great well done Lee. But again. Heckingbottom won the trophy. They are facts also. Spin it how you want. 

19 minutes ago, lenred said:

You can get as het up with my original post on this as much as you want. I seem to be receiving your ire for the vast majority who want him gone. Fine. But in my post I simply put a sarcastic spin on 'facts' as you put it in answer to the OPs question of turning losing runs around. Johnson did turn it around. After a shocking run that he was in charge of. Fact.  It didn't lead to promotion. Heckingbottom did that. Johnson also won a JPT Semi Final. Great well done Lee. But again. Heckingbottom won the trophy. They are facts also. Spin it how you want. 

I haven't spun either of those things though.

You played down his role in those things to an insignificance, I'm simply acknowledging them. Johnson got Barnsley to the final, he deserves credit for that, he didn't win the trophy so shouldn't get the credit for that, he did play a fair old part in it though, leaving them 90 minutes away from it.

He was in charge of a shocking run, he then turned that run around into a good winning streak, Heckingbottom built on this to sustain a playoff push. Johnson should be criticised for the poor run, but also get credit for firstly turning it around, and secdonly getting them into a position where a playoff push was possible. The actual achievement belongs to Heckingbottom.

The bolded section is yet more nonsense. Yes you are getting my ire here. But not out of those who want him gone. I have defended Johnson in the past, but wasn't doing that here, I was standing up for the truth, something you were happy to disregard, or at least, bury the parts that didn't shine Johnson in a negative light.

If someone wants Johnson gone that's their opinion and I have no qualms with it at all, if Johnson was sacked tomorrow I wouldn't complain for a second. But I'm fed up with people handing out as much personal abuse as they can, and conviniently forgetting to mention things that don't just reflect badly on Johnson (such as with Freeman, people acting as if LJ ruined him, when he was piss poor under Cotterill at this level too), and simply making things up and stating it as fact to gather more criticism for Johnson. Criticise the mistakes he has actually made, there's enough of them.

There was one post joking about having him killed, one person who a few weeks ago labelling anyone who didn't vehemently criticise Johnson as a "cock". People suggesting those who aren't wishing we lose so Johnson is sacked are actually Rovers fans in disguise, others actually suggesting LJ is deliberately getting us relegated. Or those who if you don't bawl and demand a sacking after every game suggest you are on some kind of payroll or are a family member, this forum has become an utter disgrace recently.

2 hours ago, B block said:

Does anyone know the last manager to be employed the whole season and get relegated, normally their sacked half way through ?

also who is the last manager to do the whole season get relegated and still start the next season?

Not for us but Tinsdale at Exeter has had more than 1 relegation & he's still there. Then again he has next to no budget to work with...

20 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

You played down his role in those things to an insignificance, I'm simply acknowledging them. Johnson got Barnsley to the final, he deserves credit for that, he didn't win the trophy so shouldn't get the credit for that, he did play a fair old part in it though, leaving them 90 minutes away from it.

He was in charge of a shocking run, he then turned that run around into a good winning streak, Heckingbottom built on this to sustain a playoff push. Johnson should be criticised for the poor run, but also get credit for firstly turning it around, and secdonly getting them into a position where a playoff push was possible. The actual achievement belongs to Heckingbottom.

The bolded section is yet more nonsense. Yes you are getting my ire here. But not out of those who want him gone. I have defended Johnson in the past, but wasn't doing that here, I was standing up for the truth, something you were happy to disregard, or at least, bury the parts that didn't shine Johnson in a negative light.

If someone wants Johnson gone that's their opinion and I have no qualms with it at all, if Johnson was sacked tomorrow I wouldn't complain for a second. But I'm fed up with people handing out as much personal abuse as they can, and conviniently forgetting to mention things that don't just reflect badly on Johnson (such as with Freeman, people acting as if LJ ruined him, when he was piss poor under Cotterill at this level too), and simply making things up and stating it as fact to gather more criticism for Johnson. Criticise the mistakes he has actually made, there's enough of them.

There was one post joking about having him killed, one person who a few weeks ago labelling anyone who didn't vehemently criticise Johnson as a "cock". People suggesting those who aren't wishing we lose so Johnson is sacked are actually Rovers fans in disguise, others actually suggesting LJ is deliberately getting us relegated. Or those who if you don't bawl and demand a sacking after every game suggest you are on some kind of payroll or are a family member, this forum has become an utter disgrace recently.

I've not laid any personal abuse at LJ's door whatsoever, certainly not wished death upon him!!  Absolutely pathetic whoever has done that.  I've not labelled our supporters or anyone else for that matter anything at all, especially not a cock, family member (or worse - a G*shead!) as we support the same team and want the same thing. I suggest you spend your time picking up with the people that have done those things instead of arguing the toss with someone who's made an admittedly sarcastic comment that I still stand by had some merit in it, but was borne of frustration against the fact that he is a terrible manager for OUR team and seems to be taking us down to League 1 and the JPT at a vast rate of knots.  I hope to god that he can prove me and the vast majority of others wrong, I truly truly do, and that you can shove this down my throat in May as it will mean I'm wrong and we'll have stayed up. There's nothing I want more!!!  But I can't see it as we stand. 

2 hours ago, Xiled said:

Seven defeats in a row during Oct/Nov 2005.  And if I remember correctly there were definitely people calling for him to go!

Yes, but didn't the mighty Bas Savage come to his rescue?

1 minute ago, Big Brother said:

I remember watching Bas in either his first or second game V Doncaster Rovers at their old ground.  We lost.  People laughed at Bas, they laughed at us and it was very cold.

I think we all laughed at Bas, at some point!

Yes, always bloody cold at Belle Vue, but one of the best meat and potato pies ever

3 minutes ago, Big Brother said:

I remember watching Bas in either his first or second game V Doncaster Rovers at their old ground.  We lost.  People laughed at Bas, they laughed at us and it was very cold.

Ah Bas Savage...

I remember his only goal on a cold January day vs Scunthorpe.

I also remember his stunning miss v Yeovil where he just fell over basically- the whole ground was laughing.

9 hours ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Rosler, who is not an unpopular next choice of coach with a few City fans I know had a terrible run with in either the season before or the season he got Brentford to the play-off final.

To say mangers never turn round poor runs is incorrect.  Many aren't given time to do do these days.

He really didn't.

In his first season there they had their highest league finish in 6 years.

In his second they were five minutes away from automatic promotion before losing the playoff semi final on penalties.

In his third and final season he won 7 of his last 8 games.

Imagine winning 7 of your last 8 games at a club? LJ has more chance of winning 7 of his last 80.

22 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He really didn't.

In his second they were five minutes away from automatic promotion before losing the playoff semi final on penalties.

Imagine winning 7 of your last 8 games at a club? LJ has more chance of winning 7 of his last 80.

And not much chance of that.

8 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Who was that then James ?

Our ex coach mr sean o'driscoll took over at Bournemouth, had a good season, followed up by relegation, then scraped back up through the play offs. 

Slight difference of sod to lj is that sod was working on a shoestring at Bournemouth i believe.

Most of the other managers given as an example have taken a club to a higher level then got them relegated and kept their jobs.

I can't think of any other managers as an example of taking teams backwards and then keeping their jobs.

16 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Who was that then James ?

I dont actually recall, possibly yourself? While you are a good poster a lot you do fall into the "happy to hand out insults" category at times but I dont keep track of who says what other than there being one poster I have 0 time or respect for after he posted genuine words of happiness about another person going through a bad time and making several nasty comments relating to mental health issues.

The only manager I can remember who presided over a calamitous collapse down the divisions but went on to not only make it to the top flight but also win the cup - had a sex change during one of the seasons and played a fish in multiple positions. Someone needs to take SL's comic collection away.

12 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I dont actually recall, possibly yourself? While you are a good poster a lot you do fall into the "happy to hand out insults" category at times but I dont keep track of who says what other than there being one poster I have 0 time or respect for after he posted genuine words of happiness about another person going through a bad time and making several nasty comments relating to mental health issues.

Yep thought you were having one of your 'little pops'

:thumbsup:

Criticuse me all you want 

But get your facts right if you want to do so

And don't make claims up or embellish them to support yourself

Or perhaps your recollections are poor

Do you want to debate ?

And for someone who himself 'aggressively' argues with different posters on a daily basis - you have a lot of criticism to dish out 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

He really didn't.

In the season they won promotion they won just four of their first 11 games, lost four and drew three.  OK, it's relative, but based on the previous season, that was a bad run.  They ended up being promoted.

4 minutes ago, Olé said:

The only manager I can remember who presided over a calamitous collapse down the divisions but went on to not only make it to the top flight but also win the cup - had a sex change during one of the seasons and played a fish in multiple positions. Someone needs to take SL's comic collection away.

The only other one grew a moustache, lost 4 inches in height, changed his name and accent and pretended to be a different manager altogether. 

Archived