IGNORED

Norwich, Derby, Wigan. ...........

Torbay_Red

8 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Wigan and Derby will both be on their 3rd manager this season so it shows changing managers doesn't always work. We'll be sticking with LJ till the end of the season.

My eldest son was born in Derby and is a Rams supporter, he says it's the players and not the managers who have let the club down .

It's almost as if they know that if they go up they will be replaced.

Could that be our problem ? 

;)

Reading the statement released by Wigan points towards what the problem is with the modern game!!

Joyce remit was to build for the long term future while keeping Wigan in the championship, so while he signs players for the future & who may come good in two or three years time, he has to keep a club up in a division higher than they were last year while having a distinctly smaller budget than the majority of the division despite still getting parachute payments for failure while in The Premier League a few years back.

He didn't even have the benefit of joining the club on equal terms with regards to league position as he'd come in after someone else's failure & he had to play catch up already.

And this, in my opinion is where City are doing things right, LJ was also brought in with the future plans of the club as a massive part of his remit & having spent a fair bit of his budget in fulfilling this part of the plan, the club have rightly stood by him so he may have the chance to see his future plans put into action (O'Dowda, Magnusson, Engvall, Brownhill & Lucic) being able to perform consistently & in a large proportion of the games instead of only being able to play as bit part players.

Joyce & McClaren both spent fairly heftily in the transfer market & whoever comes into replace them will also want to spend to replace the failing players already at the club as they aren't their players & we would have the same issue & it would cost another comparatively large amount for a new man to come in & to get his own players in that he trusts.

The problem will come though through the fact that anyone taking over any of these clubs (or ours included) won't trust that they'll have time to build for the future & then we'll find ourselves investing in thirty plus year-olds with no eye to the future or potential for any sell-on value (remember those days?) & that isn't a sustainable way for our club to be run.

I don't want our club to be one of those that has a new man in charge of team affairs two or three times a year because of those reasons stated above & also because in the future when we do decide for a new man at the helm, our list of possible candidates will consist of people with a history of failure & no interest in the future, only the here & now!!

5 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Maybe sticking with a manager and planning for the long term, as opposed to sacking at the first sign of trouble is the right approach.

Too many joke clubs hire and fire at the drop of a hat these days.

Absolutely. But with regards our situation, there's dropping a hat and then there's slamming it down and taking a massive shit in it! 

2 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

LJ has got to be luckiest manager in this league surely? If he buys a lottery ticket or goes into a bookies, be sure to follow and copy his numbers, predictions.....

You won't see his numbers he buys a lucky dip, just like his team selection

22 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Maybe sticking with a manager and planning for the long term, as opposed to sacking at the first sign of trouble is the right approach.

That philosophy is fine and desirable but only if the manager/head coach is considered suitable and capable of carrying out the Club's stated aims. In my humble opinion, Lee Johnson does not fulfil those criteria especially as I have my suspicions that the tactics are coming mostly from his father. Thus we probably have a better case to rid ourselves of him than Wigan or Derby had to dispose of McLaren and Joyce. 

32 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Reading the statement released by Wigan points towards what the problem is with the modern game!!

Joyce remit was to build for the long term future while keeping Wigan in the championship, so while he signs players for the future & who may come good in two or three years time, he has to keep a club up in a division higher than they were last year while having a distinctly smaller budget than the majority of the division despite still getting parachute payments for failure while in The Premier League a few years back.

He didn't even have the benefit of joining the club on equal terms with regards to league position as he'd come in after someone else's failure & he had to play catch up already.

And this, in my opinion is where City are doing things right, LJ was also brought in with the future plans of the club as a massive part of his remit & having spent a fair bit of his budget in fulfilling this part of the plan, the club have rightly stood by him so he may have the chance to see his future plans put into action (O'Dowda, Magnusson, Engvall, Brownhill & Lucic) being able to perform consistently & in a large proportion of the games instead of only being able to play as bit part players.

Joyce & McClaren both spent fairly heftily in the transfer market & whoever comes into replace them will also want to spend to replace the failing players already at the club as they aren't their players & we would have the same issue & it would cost another comparatively large amount for a new man to come in & to get his own players in that he trusts.

The problem will come though through the fact that anyone taking over any of these clubs (or ours included) won't trust that they'll have time to build for the future & then we'll find ourselves investing in thirty plus year-olds with no eye to the future or potential for any sell-on value (remember those days?) & that isn't a sustainable way for our club to be run.

I don't want our club to be one of those that has a new man in charge of team affairs two or three times a year because of those reasons stated above & also because in the future when we do decide for a new man at the helm, our list of possible candidates will consist of people with a history of failure & no interest in the future, only the here & now!!

This is exactly why LJ just about retains my support.

27 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Brilliant idea in theory but we've recruited and binned of a Head of Scouting, dispatached and Assistant Manager and signed various players who are bit-part or not at all. LJ has continually changed his team selection, formation and playing style and I would be pleasantly surprised if anyone could explain the type of football he aspries to play.

Beyond the fact we haven't sacked a manager for 14 months, what do you see as evidence of planning for the long-term? 

35 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I really agree with the sentiment of this and I'm glad the club isn't being trigger-happy. At the time I've got what I feel are legitimate concerns over what we have seen this season in terms of whether LJ is being successful in building for the future.

The major concerns for me are:

a) I'm not sure LJ has identified a style of play that works best for the team and that we are building towards it.

b) I don't think I can name any players that have so far substantially developed and improved over the course of the season and are better players than when they arrived.

c) I've heard the rumours about LJ's interpersonal skills from enough different sources for me to fear there may be something in them. 

11 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I really agree with the sentiment of this and I'm glad the club isn't being trigger-happy. At the time I've got what I feel are legitimate concerns over what we have seen this season in terms of whether LJ is being successful in building for the future.

a) I'm not sure LJ has identified a style of play that works best for the team and that we are building towards it.

b) I don't think I can name any players that have so far substantially developed and improved over the course of the season and are better players than when they arrived.

c) I've heard the rumours about LJ's interpersonal skills from enough different sources for me to fear there may be something in them. 

Tammy. 

7 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

This is exactly why LJ just about retains my support.

Don't get me wrong, in today's game I'm surprised he's still here but I'm really hoping he proves that we were right to stick it out.

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think in regards of a) He has a squad now that means he doesn't have to stick to one style of football & he can interchange players & formations dependant on opposition & how games are going, let's not forget that it was only just over a year ago that more or less everyone was berating Cotts for his stubbornness to keep the same players & formation regardless of performances or in game situations.

b) I guess you'd (we'd) have to take a step back & look at the bigger picture, there are times when it's been said that Brownhill, CO'D & Magnussonhave shown glimpses of being decent players but maybe because of their age & the standard of football they're playing at it has meant that consistency isn't quite there yet? But given this season & another summer to get used to everything they maybe more settled for next season?

c) I have no idea about any of that so I'm not in any position to comment on it.

Maybe SL is bearing in mind that Rudyard Kipling poem:

If you hold onto your manager and he somehow manages to keep your club in this division, when everyone else is ditching theirs, then you will be....

Flipping lucky, I would suggest!

Archived