IGNORED

Student Rugby At AG Last Night

Up The City!

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I read the article earlier and thought it might elicit such a response on here.

I understand there might be some concern that for what, ostensibly, are similar offences, some 'fans' are punished with the proverbial slap on the wrist whilst others are arrested and given season/life-long bans etc, but I really think it is not a question of rugby/football, but rather 'over exhuberant' (and pissed) students vs hard-core hooligans.

Give them a warning and a chance, but clamp down hard should there be a next time.   

Thing is though Phil, most football arrests these days are through ‘over-exhuberance’. There’s an inordinate volume of bans vs actual ‘fighting’. Mostly, fans are banned these days (leading to criminal records and excessive fines), for less than appears in this report from the rugby match. 

It is double-standards and there’s absolutely no doubt about it. 

1 hour ago, hodge said:

I wonder if there was some nativity from those organising it 

Sorry Hodge, but did you buy your computer grammar checker from Crib('s) Causeway? It is nearly Christmas after all!

It proves I read your post if nothing else! 

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Sorry Phil but it really does demonstrate that the punishments are different for offences at rugby to football.

We've now had three separate incidents of drunken behavior at Ashton Gate rugby matches in the last three years, which has included fighting and danger to other spectators. To the best of my knowledge, no such incidents at City games.

The South Wales police are now voicing serious concerns about the amount of alcohol related incidents at Wales rugby internationals in Cardiff. These are known to continue all through the weekend whereas at Cardiff City games, very few problems and a short time span before and after games.

I was at the recent Wales v NZ match and the game is spoiled by the continual flow of people to and from the bar during a game.

Thank goodness for the ban on alcohol inside the terracing at football!

Which were the 3 out of interest?

I remember the Exeter game and this one. Was there another I missed?

Hi all
Sorry it took so long to get what therapists call 'closure' on this saga - the universities really didn't want to say much about it over the past few months.

Whether or not people think having your parents dragged in to watch you behave like a drunken hooligan is a worse punishment than getting a caution for a minor public order offence, I don't know.
There's been two key factors in all this, imho - firstly the police didn't make any arrests on the night, because it appears they were caught out and had to be called to the event, rather than being at the stadium in numbers as they would've been for a City game. And secondly, that the universities jumped straight onto the club to deal with this 'in-house', whereas the police and the club would've been putting out CCTV image appeals had it been a footy match.

For those who are interested, here's the story I wrote earlier today. The universities still won't confirm whether any students were actually expelled, or how many, but I understand it was four or five of them.
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-universities-varsity-rugby-matches-907814

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I read the article earlier and thought it might elicit such a response on here.

I understand there might be some concern that for what, ostensibly, are similar offences, some 'fans' are punished with the proverbial slap on the wrist whilst others are arrested and given season/life-long bans etc, but I really think it is not a question of rugby/football, but rather 'over exhuberant' (and pissed) students vs hard-core hooligans.

Give them a warning and a chance, but clamp down hard should there be a next time.   

Working class football KIDS get arrested, banned for a bit of pyro.

Rich kids don't.

13 hours ago, Tristan Cork said:

Hi all
Sorry it took so long to get what therapists call 'closure' on this saga - the universities really didn't want to say much about it over the past few months.

Whether or not people think having your parents dragged in to watch you behave like a drunken hooligan is a worse punishment than getting a caution for a minor public order offence, I don't know.
There's been two key factors in all this, imho - firstly the police didn't make any arrests on the night, because it appears they were caught out and had to be called to the event, rather than being at the stadium in numbers as they would've been for a City game. And secondly, that the universities jumped straight onto the club to deal with this 'in-house', whereas the police and the club would've been putting out CCTV image appeals had it been a footy match.

For those who are interested, here's the story I wrote earlier today. The universities still won't confirm whether any students were actually expelled, or how many, but I understand it was four or five of them.
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-universities-varsity-rugby-matches-907814

in the polices defense it was a university game not a major football or rugby fixture, it would be like many games that take place up and down the country, I doubt there is a massive police presence at Weston vs East Thurruck for example,

With respect to UWE I can understand why they want it dealt with in house but it's not right to do that 

12 hours ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Working class football KIDS get arrested, banned for a bit of pyro.

Rich kids don't.

I'm pretty sure a rich kid letting a pyro off would also feel the full force of the law in this day and age of terrorist related nauses 

I refereed student rugby matches on a Wednesday afternoon for 20 years and they were great fun, The consumption of large quantities of alcohol being the main part of the day.

However during that time I also officiated at inter Services games and those involving Police teams and without doubt matches involving the Police teams were the best for fun and games.

18 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I'm pretty sure a rich kid letting a pyro off would also feel the full force of the law in this day and age of terrorist related nauses 

Rich kids Uni kids did let pryo off at Ashton Gate.

But It was rugby.

No convictions.

No arrest.

If you know your fishing weights that be dust shot.

Football gets the full swan shot.

36 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

in the polices defense it was a university game not a major football or rugby fixture, it would be like many games that take place up and down the country, I doubt there is a massive police presence at Weston vs East Thurruck for example,

With respect to UWE I can understand why they want it dealt with in house but it's not right to do that 

I agree. The moment they use our stadium they should abide by our rules, in this case for rugby. I’m sure if there was a major disturbance during a Bristol fixture names and cctv would be public so this shouldn’t be any different. 

Archived