IGNORED

Student Rugby At AG Last Night

Up The City!

It's interesting that @Tristan Cork introduced himself on the forum and some people immediately posted negative comments. Give the chap a chance, people should be presumed innocent until proven guilty! His report seemed to be a fair reflection of what happened. 

1 hour ago, Mkelly said:

I can confirm that the stadium had over the required stewards and security for the event last night.  Sadly we can not plan for the un acceptable behaviour of a minority of students.  As always, its not about rugby, football or any particular sport.  It is about idiots who are intent on causing trouble.  I am sure that a few students will lose their place in university over this.   We have had over 1m people through our door in the last 12 months, so in reality, this incident and that of the rugby earlier in the year are not a trend of anything apart from kids who want to post a video of themselves doing the wolf of wall street and looking hard.  Go down Park Street any Saturday night and you will see worse.  Probably from the same people.  Nothing else to see here.

Fair shout and agree about park street although the point is football fans get penalised for far, far less.

4 hours ago, Tristan Cork said:

Very good point.
I have gone back to the police to ask them to confirm no one was arrested, and to ask what they are going to do now. Bristol Sport said they want to press charges. I'd imagine it was all caught on CCTV, so I will keep asking until I get sent a montage of 30 faces of students fighting that I can put in the paper. That's how it works, apparently....

I have been informed this morning of the details that occurred last night.

police were called, no arrests made.

the stadium will be reviewing cctv evidence regarding behaviour inside the concourse and the stadium throughout the evening, and I am contacting them again early next week to review the incident then.

hope this helps.

13 minutes ago, JulieH said:

I have been informed this morning of the details that occurred last night.

police were called, no arrests made.

the stadium will be reviewing cctv evidence regarding behaviour inside the concourse and the stadium throughout the evening, and I am contacting them again early next week to review the incident then.

hope this helps.

I trust that any student hooligans identified on the CCTV will have the old bill kicking in the door of the halls of residence at the ungodly hour of 11am?

2 hours ago, Mkelly said:

I can confirm that the stadium had over the required stewards and security for the event last night.  Sadly we can not plan for the un acceptable behaviour of a minority of students.  As always, its not about rugby, football or any particular sport.  It is about idiots who are intent on causing trouble.  I am sure that a few students will lose their place in university over this.   We have had over 1m people through our door in the last 12 months, so in reality, this incident and that of the rugby earlier in the year are not a trend of anything apart from kids who want to post a video of themselves doing the wolf of wall street and looking hard.  Go down Park Street any Saturday night and you will see worse.  Probably from the same people.  Nothing else to see here.

If any of you were doubting @Mkelly and his reference to Park Street

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10323142

Doesn't get more conclusive than that. 

There was segregation, a net put down the middle of the Lansdown which was the only stand open I believe. So that was more that what is normally in place for a rugby game, so you can't blame the club for that. However it appears the segregation didn't perhaps apply to the concourse, or at least not affectively? But no staff should have to put with with drinks thrown at them, by anybody. I'm sure the club will be shocked and will want to protect their staff.

As I said before I'm surprised it doesn't  kick off more in rugby. I didn't go to the Bristol vBath game a month ago as I had a long weekend in Newcastle, so my only real experience of a local derby was the recent Gloucester game, can't believe how I didn't see a fight at that game, people drinking, winding eachother up, and drinking more...all whilst mixed in together.

I'm sorry but I like football and its segregation arrangements better; Know where your opposing fans are at all times and keep a safe distance away from them, whist have some banter and edge at the same time.

If you have Facebook you can check out the Facebook group 'The Tab Bristol' showing some footage of yesterday.

Now I'm no expert, but I see students laughing at making jokes on the comments section. Quite a lot admitting they were there. If the Police are enquiring into this? Surely these cretins have made it easier for them to get hold of?

8 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I agree, last week I saw a link to an article about a sleep calculator or something and many other 'stories' like that.

I don't want to be reading that sort of crack, I want proper reporting. Reporters out in the field as incidents on going, footage from helicopters of police chases, well maybe that's a bit far but it's certainly better than all these junk stories.

If I ever see one more story about how Bristol is the best place to live I'm gonna scream.

There are very pressing issues going on in Bristol all the time yet these are ignored. 

I know what you mean but they aren't being ignored.

We do stories about homelessness and the housing crisis in Bristol on virtually a daily basis.

We do stuff about the council cuts and the impact on vulnerable people regularly.

The issue is that what might come across your Facebook news feed is the other stuff that you are on about - the celebrity stuff, the listicles, the stories about a new prosecco bar opening or whatever it is - they are the things that people read online and share on social media.

So you'll be more likely to see the Post have done that, and less likely to see, for instance, a thing I did this week about getting more social housing built.

That's also true of the Post's own FB page. It is a bit like a shoe shop with all the sparkly party shoes in the window, but much more sensible shoes inside the shop.

But thank you all for your kind words and faint praise. I've been at the Post for less than a year, and am just about getting used to the, er, unusual affection in which it is held by everyone in Bristol 

13 hours ago, Tristan Cork said:

I know what you mean but they aren't being ignored.

We do stories about homelessness and the housing crisis in Bristol on virtually a daily basis.

We do stuff about the council cuts and the impact on vulnerable people regularly.

The issue is that what might come across your Facebook news feed is the other stuff that you are on about - the celebrity stuff, the listicles, the stories about a new prosecco bar opening or whatever it is - they are the things that people read online and share on social media.

So you'll be more likely to see the Post have done that, and less likely to see, for instance, a thing I did this week about getting more social housing built.

That's also true of the Post's own FB page. It is a bit like a shoe shop with all the sparkly party shoes in the window, but much more sensible shoes inside the shop.

But thank you all for your kind words and faint praise. I've been at the Post for less than a year, and am just about getting used to the, er, unusual affection in which it is held by everyone in Bristol 

Fair play for the reply. Here's some genuine praise; your op/ed on Black Lives Matter last year was excellent.

Could you at least stop your colleagues from going on and on and on and on about that 'Only in Bristol' bollocks though please?!

Archived