IGNORED

Are we attractive with LJ in charge?

tinman85

6 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Best solution at the time was Carey to right back and bringing on Vasko. 

Thanks Captain Hindsight.

That would have meant that neither of the first choice centre backs from the 2 play off semi finals against Palace were then playing in their natural position. Vasko had also barely featured for months by the time of the final and was only even a sub because McCombe was taken ill.

Had we lost 1-0 anyway we'd be getting posts even now saying why on earth didn't he keep his captain (and best defender) in his usual position in such a re-shuffled defence.

As Monkeh says, Marv had played RB a year or two before in the Cup Final, for ***** sake, it isn't like for a laugh we asked Darren Byfield if he fancied having a go in goal..

54 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Thanks Captain Hindsight.

That would have meant that neither of the first choice centre backs from the 2 play off semi finals against Palace were then playing in their natural position. Vasko had also barely featured for months by the time of the final and was only even a sub because McCombe was taken ill.

Had we lost 1-0 anyway we'd be getting posts even now saying why on earth didn't he keep his captain (and best defender) in his usual position in such a re-shuffled defence.

As Monkeh says, Marv had played RB a year or two before in the Cup Final, for ***** sake, it isn't like for a laugh we asked Darren Byfield if he fancied having a go in goal..

He'd probably do a job there.

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

So why is that not happening Lee Johnson's fault?

Just my opinion that his sideways passing didn't really take us anywhere. Losing Marv in that final cost us big time. Anyway I doubt we will get to another one so there you go. My view is we are not attractive to players in the market because of the manager. Hopefully I'm proven wrong. 

5 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Just my opinion that his sideways passing didn't really take us anywhere. Losing Marv in that final cost us big time. Anyway I doubt we will get to another one so there you go. My view is we are not attractive to players in the market because of the manager. Hopefully I'm proven wrong. 

What does his ability as a player have to do with him as a manager though? 

We aren't a big club in this division. We have a few things going for us however. We can offer decent wages and I'd expect better than about half the clubs in the league. Then we have developed strikers very well recently(and/or gave them big chances to prove themselves). So if you put all that together, we aren't a terrible draw for the championship. Competing against the relegated premier league sides is unrealistic. Then there are a few biggish clubs either recently relegated or proven to be contenders every season we can't compete with like Norwich, SW, Villa and Derby. After that, I would like to think we can compete with most others as everyone else will have pros and cons similar to us. The manager or head coach could be a pro or con in any of those scenarios it just depends on the player. 

As for the summer so far, I don't feel we need to rush anything. Replacing Tammy in some form is big so rather we spend time finding the right fit and pursuing it until it's 100% dead. Then RB shouldn't be hard to upgrade but again we can afford to take our time. After that, I dong feel there is any immediate need for action. The squad finished well and relied on mostly players that are still here. They could all be upgraded but generally I think our squad is good enough to finish about 14th. Could overachieve or underacheive of course but good championship players in there. I'd keep focusing on shifting a few more out if possible. It's not always easy especially as those players we may not want will most likely have to take a pay cut to play more. We don't need much this summer and hopefully we can focus on giving our youth more chances because honestly, them progressing is out best chance of ever being promotion contenders. 

29 minutes ago, kivsy said:

No, not even any of the Barnsley players who have moved to other clubs  , if he was so great , why didn't they follow him here ? 

I think that's partly because their some of their better players who were there under LJ are too good for us and/or had better offers.. Mawson, Hourihane, Winnall.. Realistically, who would you want us to be signing from Barnsley who played under LJ? Probably those three if any. All three have moved to bigger/better clubs than Bristol City.

9 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Best solution at the time was Carey to right back and bringing on Vasko. 

Carey at right back when they had guys with pace like Frazier Campbell exploiting width...? Seems a good idea

9 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Afraid I think your right, proof of the pudding will be in the eating ... so far we have an empty plate, whereas plenty of other Championship sides are already tucking in!

Presumably the other 6 sides (a quarter of the division) yet to announce a signing all have managers hated in the footballing community. Or is this another one of those anti-LJ double standards?

27 minutes ago, tts_city said:

LJ yeah what a player, so good in fact that he couldnt hold down a first team place where his dad wasnt in charge, says it all.

What does his ability as a player have to do with ability as a coach?

I'll give you the answer- absolutely nothing.

Sir Alex Ferguson, mediocre player at best, one of the best managers ever.

Van Gaal, one of the most decorated managers in Europe, crap as a player.

Mourinho, Klopp, Wenger, poor players but good managers.

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Presumably the other 6 sides (a quarter of the division) yet to announce a signing all have managers hated in the footballing community. Or is this another one of those anti-LJ double standards?

Hate to be picky James but Ferguson scored 170 odd goals in 340 ish games !!!

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Completely agree. Being a great player doesn`t necessarily make you a great manager either - Zola being a case in point.

With the exception of a select few like Guardiola, Cruyff or Zidane there aren`t many players who`ve had stellar careers and gone on to be world class managers and those that have, have done it at world famous clubs with everything they ever wanted at their disposal.

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Hate to be picky James but Ferguson scored 170 odd goals in 340 ish games !!!

Fair point, but more to do with the standard*.

David Seal scored 170 in 246 at Mangotsfield, but that was the Southern League.

*I do acknowledge the Scottish league standard was better than it currently is.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Point out where I said this ? Then you go on to the Alex ferguson arguement ? laughable. I am merely pointing out a fact. As for his managerial record, we were held up as a laughing stock for a good third of last season, yes he turned it around, I will give him that, he does deserve another crack, but I can see why it may put potential signings off him, my opinion, you may not agree with it but frankly I dont care what you may think. Go on point out some spelling or grammar mistakes, I know it makes you feel like a big boy.

I don;t know about the rest of you, but Mrs Downend says that i'm still attractive, even with Lj in charge.

Mind you, that was before she let me take the bag off my head!

14 minutes ago, tts_city said:

Point out where I said this ? Then you go on to the Alex ferguson arguement ? laughable. I am merely pointing out a fact. As for his managerial record, we were held up as a laughing stock for a good third of last season, yes he turned it around, I will give him that, he does deserve another crack, but I can see why it may put potential signings off him, my opinion, you may not agree with it but frankly I dont care what you may think. Go on point out some spelling or grammar mistakes, I know it makes you feel like a big boy.

So your post was simply there to slag off LJ as a player, despite him retiring years ago and the thread being about his perception as a manager...

Bit random. I will not get myself drawn into the slanging match you obviously want, so will state this once. As stated at the time, peoples grammar doesn't bother me, and I do not make a point to criticise others for making grammatical errors. But, as stated at the time, you were calling out someone for being "inarticulate" whilst being so yourself. All I did was call out your hypocrisy. 

This is the last I will say on that matter.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

So your post was simply there to slag off LJ as a player, despite him retiring years ago and the thread being about his perception as a manager...

Bit random. I will not get myself drawn into the slanging match you obviously want, so will state this once. As stated at the time, peoples grammar doesn't bother me, and I do not make a point to criticise others for making grammatical errors. But, as stated at the time, you were calling out someone for being "inarticulate" whilst being so yourself. All I did was call out your hypocrisy. 

This is the last I will say on that matter.

Blah blah, your still a richard cranium. "This is the last I will say on that matter." I dont believe you.

1 hour ago, tts_city said:

Oh here we go again.  IMO Jamie McAllister turned it around anyway not Lee Johnson, nothing was happening until then

1 hour ago, paulcityfan said:

Oh here we go again.  IMO Jamie McAllister turned it around anyway not Lee Johnson, nothing was happening until then

Here we go again ? im no fan of LJ but Mcallister stepped up at the request of LJ no ? So technically the bounce was down to him. Im intrigued as the next man as to how it pans out next season, Im crossing my fingers, you have to try and be positive at season start ? Sure I would like someone else hand on heart, but he is here next year, like it or lump it and until it goes tits up he has my support.

2 minutes ago, tts_city said:

Here we go again ? im no fan of LJ but Mcallister stepped up at the request of LJ no ? So technically the bounce was down to him. Im intrigued as the next man as to how it pans out next season, Im crossing my fingers, you have to try and be positive at season start ? Sure I would like someone else hand on heart, but he is here next year, like it or lump it and until it goes tits up he has my support.

Sorry not to be clear, by 'here we go again' I was referring to the vehiment pro Lee Johnson arguments by folk like JamesBCFC and then your good self who is obviously not.  We have had a long running 'remain' and 'leave' situation for so long now at this club.  Reminds me of everywhere else... 

1 hour ago, paulcityfan said:

Sorry not to be clear, by 'here we go again' I was referring to the vehiment pro Lee Johnson arguments by folk like JamesBCFC and then your good self who is obviously not.  We have had a long running 'remain' and 'leave' situation for so long now at this club.  Reminds me of everywhere else... 

Thats a fair point and thanks for clarifying but I think im strangely in the middle of in/out where Lj is concerned :blink:

3 minutes ago, tts_city said:

Thats a fair point and thanks for clarifying but I think im strangely in the middle of in/out :blink:

Yes the memory fades quickly with all this holiday.  Soon be the season and you'll know which way you swing soon enough.  But back to the original post though which is a fair question.  Its got to affect the attractiveness of the club to investors of talent and time, just as an undecided and divided country is unattractive to investors in other ways.  Stands to reason really. If a strong figurehead was 'manager', and there was no underlying discontent, surely its more attractive.  So yes IMO it does affect the attractiveness of the club to certain diligently minded players looking after their careers.  Football is a small world and if anyone in the game had not heard about the banners etc and all the bad result runs then they would have been asleep.  However as you have said, I hope I am talking total bollocks too and we make some amazing signings and have a mental season ahead. 

12 hours ago, paulcityfan said:

Defense from undue criticism does not equal a vehement pro-Johnson argument.

This is an interesting question, obviously a list of possible signings are drawn up and I suspect that they are listed in order of priority and I suspect that some sort of due diligence is carried out as to whether the possibilities are in fact viable from the perspective of cost, wages and ambition and if (and it's a big if) Alan Nixon is correct that our negotiations are not going well then either one of the 3 due diligence tests have gone wrong or there is another reason.

Time will tell, what I will add is if Magnusson, Engvall, COD, Moore and Hegeler don't feature more this coming season something has gone expensively wrong IMO.

Archived