IGNORED

Will Jens Hegeler play a big part?

reddogkev

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Lee says a 'lot of things'  James

I wouldn't put too much weight on that

Hegeler is a quality player, but hadnt adapted to the speed of the Championship.

The quality he had was easy to see, but throwing a player who isn't up to speed into a relegation fight isn't the smartest idea. While frustrating, his lack of game time was, to a point, understandable (though I would have wanted him starting against Brum, given we were safe.)

I stand by what I said, I expect Hegeler will get a fair bit more game time.

48 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

At the risk of contributing to an interesting debate....

Should we choose the best system and pick the players around it.. ..or choose the best players and pick the system around them?

Picking a system to accommodate the talented players would likely see more starting spots for Hegeler, Bryan, Tomlin and Magnussen....

I'd go for the one that works , either way round !  

8 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Based solely on his time with us last season, I'm highly dubious about whether he's decent enough for our team. He didn't impress me, but I accept he came half way during the campaign, had not played in England before, and clearly needed time to adapt.

Any thoughts about how he might feature next season, and what might you expect from him?

Not too impressed when watching him play after early reports of him looking a good player. Let's hope  Johnson got this one right. His forays in to Europe have certanly proved less than inspiring.

With this being my first post, I hope I am not breaking any rules, but here is an auto translated link from Hertha's forum: 

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.herthabsc.de%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D20%26t%3D1181%26hilit%3Dhegeler&edit-text=

From what I can work out, seems like he never got a decent run in the team and the fans could never really determine whether his best position was CB, CM or AM.

Anyway, if you get time, it's worth a read to draw your own conclusions.

38 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Hegeler is a quality player, but hadnt adapted to the speed of the Championship.

The quality he had was easy to see, but throwing a player who isn't up to speed into a relegation fight isn't the smartest idea. While frustrating, his lack of game time was, to a point, understandable (though I would have wanted him starting against Brum, given we were safe.)

I stand by what I said, I expect Hegeler will get a fair bit more game time.

Like Hegeler - But agree slotting him into a relegation battle did him no favours, same with Matty T to a degree.

Playing him in the right position with others tuned into his wavelength could give us something special i.e. a game controller and "no" that does not have to be a centre mid.

He's not in the same class I know but Trevor Brooking ran / directed games.  Hegeler firing on all cylinders might give us that.

Interesting to see the mixed bag reviews, I think he is the complete midfielder but It was just a bad time to bed a bed new  partnership considering our relegation battle.

I think he would be great in cm in a 442 or 433, neither Corey or pack can come forward with the ball nd make quick incisive passes to team mates like he can.  As much as Corey came back into form come the end of the season I still think Hegeler all around performance Is better and would put him next to pack in a 442. 

His quality is definitely wasted on the bench Imo.

11 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

I personally think he will play at the back next season. We are crying out for a ball playing centre back as neither of our CB can pass a ball.

Id like to see Jens, Flint, Maggers as our 3 

Surprised that you and many others consistently overlook the value of Bailey Wright to the team. He is a leader, and I think his fighting spirit was key to our recovery at the end of the season.  Much as I'd like to see Magnusson get a run this season, I hope that Wright will continue to be first choice.

On 23/06/2017 at 16:06, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I'm amazed people are so positive about him.  Apart from his first few matches in a back three (when he was no better than average), I thought he was dreadful every time he appeared.  Slow, unable to win the ball, only playing the most straightforward of passes.  He looked like a liability to me and I would have got rid of him in a heartbeat at the end of last season.  But maybe he'll get better...

23 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Said this before, but when he first joined, I couldn't believe we were wasting a player who looked so comfortable on the ball at centre back & couldn't wait to see him in midfield. 

But once in midfield he was an absolute passenger & off the ball offered nothing. Might've been down to fitness but I'm not too sure. 

I wouldn't mind seeing him go back to centre back & competing with Flint/Wright. 

I too posted that I couldn't wait to see him further forward. To say he was no better than average @The Dolman Pragmatist Us of course your opinion, but I saw a guy with great composure, first touch that positioned the ball where he wanted it to play the next pass. He moved so smoothly. There was a turn of pace where he got back to cover a 1on1. In those first couple / few games, he also got forward into forward positions in a different way to Ayling, and got shots off that almost hit him his first goal. 

....and then we moved him into midfield and the pace caught him out.  To criticise him any more than anyone else v Fulhamis harsh. At the time I called out several reasons why we got outnumbered in the middle of the park. 

Of course the jury will be out, that's fine, but not ready to write him off yet. If he can adjust to the pace, then he is a fine footballer. 

7 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Surprised that you and many others consistently overlook the value of Bailey Wright to the team. He is a leader, and I think his fighting spirit was key to our recovery at the end of the season.  Much as I'd like to see Magnusson get a run this season, I hope that Wright will continue to be first choice.

Sort of player you want in a relegation battle however I don't think he was particularly good. I've put my point across that we didn't improve with him. But that's my opinion... 

with a fresh slate I don't think he's the sort of player we need going forwards IMO

4 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Sort of player you want in a relegation battle however I don't think he was particularly good. I've put my point across that we didn't improve with him. But that's my opinion... 

with a fresh slate I don't think he's the sort of player we need going forwards IMO

I'm a great believer that you want people with the right attitude and spirit, and I think Wright and Flint have got that in bucket loads.  I haven't seen yet that Hegeler can lead and inspire, and Magnusson is a young work in progress.  We need leadership and fight at the back, and I think a Wright gives us that in spades.  

In some cases you want attitude and commitment as much as ability.  That's what we had in 2008, and I'd love to think we might see something like that again.

On 23/06/2017 at 15:57, Super said:

He gave one of the worst performances I have seen against Fulham at home. I know many had bad games but he was on another level. shocked because he looked ok before that.

Completely agree he was so poor in that game just passively jogged around, imo no matter how good of footballer he is, he lacks mobility and strength to play in His position in the championship, can't see him making a impact next season and put him behind all our cm's and cb's at the moment ,That saying I hope I'm proved wrong as he is clearly classy player who could be a asset 

6 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

I almost compare him to Nathan Baker in some way, would've been perfect as a loan. Then the next year when we've improved overall as a team we can put in Maggs who'll suit our more dominant side as he's better on the ball.

There have been a lot of comments about his perceived lack of pace being a problem. I agree with this, to a degree, but it's not the end of the world. Brian Tinnion was basically slow but he was effective, though he did have the advantage of his long passes out to Scott Murry. I don't think pace was Hegler's main problem last season, just a lack of match fitness. Given a full pre season training I'm hoping for better things from him. 

11 hours ago, Shtanley said:

I almost compare him to Nathan Baker in some way, would've been perfect as a loan. Then the next year when we've improved overall as a team we can put in Maggs who'll suit our more dominant side as he's better on the ball.

Perfectly summed up and in honesty Baker was head and shoulders above wright imo

2 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Perfectly summed up and in honesty Baker was head and shoulders above wright imo

Baker was class just the worry he'd get sent off. Ideally we'd have had a ball player next to Flint, Wright or Baker but we needed defenders the last two years and that's where they came into it. 

With Hegeler he's clearly a class footballer. You saw it in his first few games and you can see it with him warming up. Not a flashy player but his touch and passing is unreal. The talk about where he fits best is an interesting one and I keep going back to our style of play. I think he could play in a 442 but one more like Brighton's. With the two strikers with two quick tricky wingers and maybe Brownhill next to Hegeler with Brownhill box to box and Hegeler protecting the centre halves. I'd like to fit him into the squad but he has to prove himself in this league so not too fussed if we can find a spot for him. 

Hed fit a back 3 but I'm not sure we can field a back 3 without another two wingbacks unless O'Dowda can be converted but not sure that'd be great for his progress. That's also assuming Pisano comes and he'd need backup as well as Joe needing competition as well. Could be a good option for certain games but not long term imo. 

23 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Baker was class just the worry he'd get sent off. Ideally we'd have had a ball player next to Flint, Wright or Baker but we needed defenders the last two years and that's where they came into it. 

With Hegeler he's clearly a class footballer. You saw it in his first few games and you can see it with him warming up. Not a flashy player but his touch and passing is unreal. The talk about where he fits best is an interesting one and I keep going back to our style of play. I think he could play in a 442 but one more like Brighton's. With the two strikers with two quick tricky wingers and maybe Brownhill next to Hegeler with Brownhill box to box and Hegeler protecting the centre halves. I'd like to fit him into the squad but he has to prove himself in this league so not too fussed if we can find a spot for him. 

Hed fit a back 3 but I'm not sure we can field a back 3 without another two wingbacks unless O'Dowda can be converted but not sure that'd be great for his progress. That's also assuming Pisano comes and he'd need backup as well as Joe needing competition as well. Could be a good option for certain games but not long term imo. 

I love the idea of a player who looks class in the warming up!!

Archived