IGNORED

Aaron Pierre

Luxo Jr.

47 minutes ago, shelts said:

He can't be any worse than Bailey Wright 

How right you are-cant be any slower at any rate!

As part of any 'deal' with the player maybe wright can be loaned to the Pierre household,odd jobs,grass cutting,freshening up the paintwork......??

31 minutes ago, cynic said:

Fair assumption and I would think that he's not been offered a contract.

But it may also mean that he's been offered a contract and has been given time off to sort things out his end.

Just have to wait until LJ confirms either way.

Nice to see Magnusson in the squad.

Indeed-welcome back magners....along with Hegeler would like to see one or two of our more skilled footballers given a chance this season..

2 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

How right you are-cant be any slower at any rate!

As part of any 'deal' with the player maybe wright can be loaned to the Pierre household,odd jobs,grass cutting,freshening up the paintwork......??

I agree he started slowly (pun intended) but thought he started to look the defender LJ promised in our good run at the end of the season. He is an old fashioned puts his head in with the boots defender. He is not the best footballer but my only real issue with him is I'm not sure him and Flint work as a pair as they are quite similar. Would probably prefer to have mags in there alongside flint for a left foot and a bit more quality on the ball. 

6 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

I see Pierre is not in the aquad for tonight's game at Bath.  Does that tell us we won't be signing him or am I reading to much into it.  

5 hours ago, cynic said:

Fair assumption and I would think that he's not been offered a contract.

But it may also mean that he's been offered a contract and has been given time off to sort things out his end.

Just have to wait until LJ confirms either way.

Perhaps, or possibly, having already played two friendlies against weakish teams, he is being held back to play against a slightly stronger team tomorrow night, i.e. Torquay.

Time will tell.

On 09/07/2017 at 09:42, chinapig said:

And was regularly recommended by Harry on here iirc. Shows the folly of insisting we should only go after 'proven Championship players'.

Thanks for the mention China.

Indeed, Mawson was one I'd touted for a long time, way before he was mooted for the move to Barnsley, and now he's a centre half very much in demand.  City were aware of him and I believe enquiries were made, but it was too late - we should've made the move a year earlier when we had much more chance of acquiring him.

I watched him a lot when he was on loan to Wycombe, a season in which Mawson formed a pretty excellent partnership with Pierre.  Whilst Mawson was the stand-out by a long way, Pierre did also impress me.  If I recall correctly both were an incredible danger from set-pieces and both scored a few that season.
Funnily enough, I was watching a lot of Wycombe then, and the season prior was when I first noted Josh Scowen - who's obviously been on the City rumour mill this summer.  With both Scowen and Mawson heading to Barnsley not long after that season I can only assume their scout was watching the same games as me (particularly as they also picked up Hourihane around the same time who was also high on my hit-list).

For what it's worth, I think Pierre would be a decent signing on a free, based on what I'd seen of him at Wycombe over the last 3 years.

As for the Bailey Wright vs Magnusson comments, I appear to be in a minority but from what I saw last season, Wright used the ball far more effectively and far more accurately than Magnusson did.
I also feel that the signing of Wright played a big part in securing our place in this division.

11 hours ago, shelts said:

He can't be any worse than Bailey Wright 

I take it then your not a fan?

get stuck in center half that the Preston fans loved. Looks a keeper to me.

You see it different, for me big as Flint is Reminds me of MCcombe  big massive guy, Wright is the one that takes no prisoners.

Puts it in where it hurts. Always loved City sides when we have one of them at the back for us.

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

As for the Bailey Wright vs Magnusson comments, I appear to be in a minority but from what I saw last season, Wright used the ball far more effectively and far more accurately than Magnusson did.
I also feel that the signing of Wright played a big part in securing our place in this division.

Indeed I thought he helped Flint massively as well. Towards the end of Mags spell in the side Flint was trying to cover him as he was starting to struggle (unsurprisingly as he was not expected to play so many consecutive games). Not too sure about Wright's distribution being better than Mags though.

4 minutes ago, shelts said:

Same. Got some stick on here for my thoughts. Big season ahead for him . Little composure and erratic passing . 

Not gonna give you stick shelts, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.  I do beg to differ though, and if I was to be asked which one of Wright or Magnusson was being described with "little composure and erratic passing", I'd say Magnusson.

Whilst never fool-proof, stats back up my opinion.

Average Passes Per Game :
Wright 40.5, Magnusson 39.6.

Pass Completion % :
Wright 71.9%, Magnusson 66.9%

Long Balls per game :
Wright 3.1, Magnusson 5.0.

So, as my eyes saw it, backed up by the stats, Magnusson passed it less times per game, was less accurate with the ball, and hit too many long balls.

I'm not saying Wright has amazing distribution, but he is better than Magnusson (in my opinion).

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Pass Completion % :

Long Balls per game :

So, as my eyes saw it, backed up by the stats, Magnusson passed it less times per game, was less accurate with the ball, and hit too many long balls.

I'm not saying Wright has amazing distribution, but he is better than Magnusson (in my opinion).

I must admit not how I saw it at all. Thought Mags was the far better distribution wise. Interesting stats tho that prove I'm wrong! 

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

Pass Completion % :

Long Balls per game :

Also worth bearing in mind that Wright's preferred position is right CB whereas we have been playing him on the left as Flint plays on the right side; he's done well so far in my view. 

20 minutes ago, Harry said:

Pass Completion % :

Long Balls per game :

You could interpret that as Mags played a higher % of long balls i.e. attacking passes up the pitch. He therefore completed less but maybe those that WERE successful created chances. Whereas Wright completed more because they were short, therefore less risky but also unlikely to create an attacking position. That would be closer to my perception.

Basically stats can be twisted to say whatever suits and are therefore of limited value imho.

7 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

You could interpret that as Mags played a higher % of long balls i.e. attacking passes up the pitch. He therefore completed less but maybe those that WERE successful created chances. Whereas Wright completed more because they were short, therefore less risky but also unlikely to create an attacking position. That would be closer to my perception.

Basically stats can be twisted to say whatever suits and are therefore of limited value imho.

Could go further - different tactics in games, types of opposition, taking Gary o Neill out of midfield gave us options. Earlier in the season when Maggs got most game time we were playing with significantly more width and it lended to longer passes. 

I'm also of the opinion Maggs is a better ball player. He attempts a lot more expansive passing which is going to have a lower conversion rate, but is a decent risk. 

Stats also make no mention of how successful he was with those long balls so impossible to say he played too many. 

31 minutes ago, Harry said:

Pass Completion % :

Long Balls per game :

You know what, it's nice to see your name back on here actually mate, always worth reading what you have to say. 

Anyway, as you were.

6 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Indeed, stats can never fully prove anything either way.  My opinion was formed before I looked at the stats, and in my opinion Magnusson hit too many unnecessary long balls when under no or little pressure, and I can recall very few of them actually being 'attacking passes', they were more hopeful hits, mostly down the channel to no-one.

As I said, I know I'm probably in a minority, but I thought Magnusson's use of the ball was poor, and I wasn't surprised when he was dropped.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I can recall very few of them actually being 'attacking passes', they were more hopeful hits, mostly down the channel to no-one.

Agree, but I think there is mitigation. To be fair I didn't think they were hopeful passes rather balls into space. He was adjusting to new teammates - their speeds (and Joe's changing for the worse each week). 

Johnson tells the  Post he has qualities that are Championship and is a great lad to have around. He has a number of clubs interested in him. Looked solid in the games he played. Winning apparently everything on the air.  Constant rumours of  Flint being chased by a number of clubs.And then Johnson decides not to sign him. And then says we will keep an eye on him. 

And this is the Manager who is going to move us up the table. 

11 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Agree, but I think there is mitigation. To be fair I didn't think they were hopeful passes rather balls into space. He was adjusting to new teammates - their speeds (and Joe's changing for the worse each week). 

I get what your saying (and indeed Joe's irrationality), but I'm gonna stick to my guns and how I perceived things at the time, that his distribution was quite simply poor - I felt he had an element of panic when an opponent was closing him down, and lumped it.  This got worse, for me, as the games ticked by, and he started lumping it even when under no pressure - it was then that he was dropped, and it came as no surprise to me.

7 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

I don't know if this has been said already BUT

What is all this "trialist" stuff about?

When have we ever signed a trialist? What a waste of time and how pissed off must that player be like all the other trialists have been in the past?

Marlon Pack and Ivan Lucic come to mind.

9 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

I don't know if this has been said already BUT

What is all this "trialist" stuff about?

When have we ever signed a trialist? What a waste of time and how pissed off must that player be like all the other trialists have been in the past?

Earlier in the thread someone has already pointed out Ekstrand, Garita, Lucic, Pack, Basso all arrived as trialists, so yes, we have signed some and two of those proved to be excellent acquisitions.

2 minutes ago, redandy1 said:

Johnson tells the  Post he has qualities that are Championship and is a great lad to have around. He has a number of clubs interested in him. Looked solid in the games he played. Winning apparently everything on the air.  Constant rumours of  Flint being chased by a number of clubs.And then Johnson decides not to sign him. And then says we will keep an eye on him. 

And this is the Manager who is going to move us up the table. 

He came to us on trial, it would be unfair for LJ to slate him and potentially harm his chances of going to another team. If he was good enough he would of been made an offer. Read between the lines.

Archived