Penalties

Red Army 75

12 minutes ago, Die Hard Red said:

Cue a string of crap ABBA song title gags....:yawn:

1 minute ago, South Somerset Red said:

i was always told don't fix what aint broke  

Can't remember ABBA doing that one!

19 minutes ago, Hellfire Corner said:

Sounds sensible to me. Similar format as a tie-break in tennis. Fairer to both players/ teams.

Then again have the pens taken at opposite ends of the ground simultaneously. The kicks would be overseen by the two Assistant Refs.

12 minutes ago, BrizzleBengal said:

Do we think they should do this in cricket too? 

Rather than you have an innings, we have innings...    You have a wicket,  swap the teams round, we have a wicket...  

The winner takes it all

You could have at least gained a pun point on your last paragraph, so I've edited it for you.

This is what happens when you let statisticians and accountants loose with the beautiful game. The difference between taking penalties first or second isn't that wide. Will be interesting to see it used in anger and the subsequent howling.

5 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

This is what happens when you let statisticians and accountants loose with the beautiful game. The difference between taking penalties first or second isn't that wide. Will be interesting to see it used in anger and the subsequent howling.

Accountants?  What have they got to do with the format of penalty shoot-outs?

I remember when we were at school picking teams in the playground on this basis.  Obviously fairer than ABABAB, and surprising that no one has thought of it before.

Loved the 'just leave the ... game alone' comment above.  After all, penalty shoot-outs are such an intrinsic part of the game and have been with us so long.  Billy Wedlock will be turning in his grave at the thought that they're tampering with the beautiful game.

Archived