Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

erndogz

Andy Mitten's piece on Bristol City

20 minutes ago, erndogz said:

very good read from some one with no afliation with the club,

can't help but feel optimistic after reading it, but then we've been here before, Lets hope it continues 

• Like 2

I don't usually read articles like this but thatvwas a good read. A good insight for an outsider and pretty much as it is. Interesting to see LJ saying he has got 22 players he can trust, yes that trust word again. And Luke Steele's honest assessment of how he saw us before and how his opinion changed was also interesting. 

• Like 11

18 minutes ago, erndogz said:

Good read - like so much of what we're hearing and seeing at the moment, it really does highlight how total our approach now seems to be, such as the drone recording training and the stats being used everywhere, as well as the great team spirit and squad depth.

It's great we're getting such exposure outside the UK - imagine a certain little league team will be annoyed it's in their owner's region...

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

A good read, that. Done his research for sure. 

I agree, a good read...but his research wasn't too thorough - he said we were last in the top flight from 1978-1982 - very incorrect....

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree, a good read...but his research wasn't too thorough - he said we were last in the top flight from 1978-1982 - very incorrect....

So he got one or two dates wrong but the substance of now is very good and positive.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

So he got one or two dates wrong but the substance of now is very good and positive.

I think we all agree on that, still a bit annoying to get something so easily checked so wrong though.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Oh, and I suspect LJ meant he could trust the 22 players impeccably rather than 'implacably', which doesn't go together or mean anything. :blink:

Or even implicitly ;).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Really good read, I'm hoping people take us a bit more seriously now we're getting the results against the big boys. Articles like this show the recent performances are definitely turning some heads

No doubt about it, on the C5 highlights show Colin Murray said Bristol City are playing the most exciting football in the league right now, or similar.

Edit: In fact I think it was 'in the country', so even bigger praise.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Like 2

Maybe the author is monitoring this thread because we were now in the top flight from 1976-1980 and LJ now trusts his players impeccably. If you're reading this Andy you just need to correct your name at the top now. Good article, thanks for writing it :) 

IMG_0217.PNG

• Like 1

Didn’t we have similar written by Henry Winter last season? Just hoping we keep our heads down and do the talking on the pitch. It was a good read though. I liked the part about Johnson saying he went from 8th best manager under 40 to Bristol citys worst ever manager in 8 games :laughcont: bare that in mind Lee! Let’s not get to carried away. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

where does it say 78, 82 it says 4 year spell 76, 80 which is correct.

Edited by pillred
change wording

I still don't get this North of the River stuff. Unless things have changed dramatically since the 70's, the north west quarter of Bristol was at worse 50:50.  

Clifton, Stoke Bishop, WoT, Sea Mills, Shire, Avonmouth, Lawrence Wesson, Cotham and even Horfield were predominantly City. In fact wasn't there a bit of edginess between sizeable groups of 'Meaders' and Knowle West in the East End on occasions. 

Maybe it was the people I mixed with or my, now, failing memory, that leads me to this belief.

The ghettos East of Gloucester Road was always where the dark side resided.

Edited by Moor2Sea
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

I still don't get this North of the River stuff. Unless things have changed dramatically since the 70's, the north west quarter of Bristol was at worse 50:50.  

Clifton, Stoke Bishop, WoT, Sea Mills, Shire, Avonmouth, Lawrence Wesson, Cotham and even Horfield were predominantly City. In fact wasn't there a bit of edginess between sizeable groups of 'Meaders' and Knowle West in the East End on occasions. 

Maybe it was the people I mixed with or my failing memory.

The ghettos East of Gloucester Road was where the dark side resided.

Being a " meader" myself back then,I can concur that was in fact the case,there never was a clear north /south divide.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Clifton, Stoke Bishop, WoT, Sea Mills, Shire, Avonmouth, Lawrence Wesson, Cotham and even Horfield were predominantly City.

Maybe it was the groups I mixed with!

Certainly now.

The current Mrs P works at Cribbs so I end up stopping there around 3 times a week for an hour, iv been really happily surprised to regularly see 2 or 3 different kids (anywhere from 8 to 20 years old) each time walking around with city merchandise on and easily outnumbering the merchandise on show from big prem teams, but dont see anything from Rovers ever which i would prefer to prem stuff.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Clifton, Stoke Bishop, WoT, Sea Mills, Shire, Avonmouth, Lawrence Wesson, Cotham and even Horfield were predominantly City.

Maybe it was the groups I mixed with!

Can only speak for the 4 places I've highlighted, as I've spent all of my 48 years living in one or the other, but as you say, at worst 50:50.

In terms of the City core areas I would suggest:

• South Bristol
  • North Somerset
  • Decent areas of Somerset proper
  • Some South Gloucs.

Clearly the North of the River won't be pure that other side- how can it be with their current and indeed last 16 years at least- but moreso than the areas above IMO. Less City there I would have thought, though Shirehampton definitely fairly decent City I would have thought. Clifton would make sense for City also as it's walking distance to AG.

As an aside, and again perhaps it's changing now but for somewhile incomers- who were neutral- seemed to have more sympathy with the aforementioned other side. Unsure why it is/was really but found that with those I knew.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In terms of the City core areas I would suggest:

• South Bristol
  • North Somerset
  • Decent areas of Somerset proper
  • Some South Gloucs.

Clearly the North of the River won't be pure that other side- how can it be with their current and indeed last 16 years at least- but moreso than the areas above IMO. Less City there I would have thought, though Shirehampton definitely fairly decent City I would have thought. Clifton would make sense for City also as it's walking distance to AG.

As an aside, and again perhaps it's changing now but for somewhile incomers- who were neutral- seemed to have more sympathy with the aforementioned other side. Unsure why it is/was really but found that with those I knew.

I live in Horfield and there plenty of city fans around here and even in Filton I think people living in south Bristol would be surprised by how many of us live oop north. 

Edited by NOTBLUE
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Maybe it was the people I mixed with or my, now, failing memory, that leads me to this belief.

in my recollection the dividing line went up whiteladies road along along colharbour lane and henleaze road up Southmead road to Filton. I went to St Johns Primary at the top of Blackboy Hill in late 60's early 70's and if you left through one gate you were rovers and another gate you were city. I would imagine the north west/south v east is no longer as concentrated as it was

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

Agreed - grew up in Lawrence Weston and no one I knew liked them, whereas quite a few were City fans.

Shirehampton seems the same, and recently lived/live in WoT and Brentry areas, where again seems more City than anything, and my workplace (central) is majority City if anything.

The "less fortunate" fans I know all live in the Mangotsfield/Downend areas...

7 minutes ago, Red34 said:

The "less fortunate" fans I know all live in the Mangotsfield/Downend areas...

Pretty much red round these yer parts. Blue few I know are scattered from Bishopston, Keynsham and Longwell Green. And only one of them actually goes to games!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Pretty much red round these yer parts. Blue few I know are scattered from Bishopston, Keynsham and Longwell Green. And only one of them actually goes to games!

To be fair the Mangotsfield ones were/are just one big family - if anyone remembers a large classy family that fought outside their house often, over such important issues as who was going to carve the Sunday roast, that's them.

All fans of the "prowed quarters".

And unfortunately related to me... :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2