IGNORED

Let's be honest here

Londoner

36 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I fundamentally disagree with this.  You can't set expectations at the beginning of a season and then move those goal posts just because the results go your way.  You can move the goalposts once those initial targets are achieved, but it's unfair to do so before that point.  We're 11 games in, there's no way our targets have been met.

If you say that results change expectations then you are living in a very short term world where you can only ever look a few games forward or back.

I do not know what the club's targets were this season but I am sure they will look to achieve those first, and then push on to the next feasible target.

Well of course you can. Are you telling me that expectations didn't change when we were top of the league heading into the final stages of the season??

Very odd.

11 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Well of course you can. Are you telling me that expectations didn't change when we were top of the league heading into the final stages of the season??

Very odd.

Yes in the final stages of the season expectations can change. This is because it is at this point that you have either failed or achieved your initial objectives and you  have a large sample (ie the preceding 30 games or so (you've not defined the "final stages")) to compare yourself to.

Expectations can change once initial expectations are met.  Not after 11 games.

I don't think its a case of the league being weaker as such, I think its a case of more teams raising their game (us, Preston, Wolves, Sheffield Utd, Ipswich etc) so that a couple of teams can't run away with it (so far) meaning that it will be a closer league this season. 

32 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I’ve got to hand it to you @Londoner, you’re an elite WUM on this forum. I’ve grown to enjoy your threads after realising this.

This is the new approach of some of the main 'negative' posters....heap faint praise on and create unrealistic new expectations, all in the (conscious or subconscious) hope that they can set the club up for 'failure' (in their mind, at least) and justify their criticisms that sound so hollow at the moment. 

It's pathetic IMO.

I really wonder do some people ever actually stop their crap and support the team at any point? 

11 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

This is the new approach of some of the main 'negative' posters....heap faint praise on and create unrealistic new expectations, all in the (conscious or subconscious) hope that they can set the club up for 'failure' (in their mind, at least) and justify their criticisms that sound so hallow at the moment. 

It's pathetic IMO.

I really wonder do some people ever actually stop their crap and support the team at any point? 

Absolutely spot on! I've noticed this from a few of them too! 

How miserable and sad their lives must be! 

Let's be honest here: Londoner sure has turned a corner:

JOHNSON IS A FORTUNATE MAN

Why? Because the game that your bristol city job hangs on is against one of the worst sides in chamoionship history, Rotherham.

We all know losing to wednesday will not see you sacked, it should, but it wont, but surely even a side ineptly set up on a weekly basis wont drop points against the dross of the division. You are very fortunate.

You spout about your footballing philosophy, fast moving attacking football...yet play a lump up top by himself promoting hoofball.

You highlight about crisp passing, yet bobby reid and lee tomlin have been relegated to obscurity in our league campaign.

You highlight the importance of players playing in their best positions yet change their roles on a week by week basis.

Do the right thing and resign, best rotherham we have "turned the tide", "fans stuck with us on our awful run"....yes lee i can see it now, one problem, we have villa leeds newcastle derby all coming up.

As for the fans who went today and chanted his name.....you are beyond dilusional.

Do the right thing and resign, you have turned us into the laughing stock of the championship.

•  

15 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

This is the new approach of some of the main 'negative' posters....heap faint praise on and create unrealistic new expectations, all in the (conscious or subconscious) hope that they can set the club up for 'failure' (in their mind, at least) and justify their criticisms that sound so hallow at the moment. 

It's pathetic IMO.

I *think* in the instance of Londoner that he genuinely is just a WUM. Doesn’t really mean what he says and just enjoys getting a rise. His posts are so absurd I think that must be the case.

There are a fair few others though who meet your description above. Lots of them actually. 

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I *think* in the instance of Londoner that he genuinely is just a WUM. Doesn’t really mean what he says and just enjoys getting a rise. His posts are so absurd I think that must be the case.

Another possibility is that he is actually an idiot.

It reminds you a little of the diverse opinions that circulate about Boris Johnson. Some are convinced he is a brilliant man. Others believe him to be a buffoon. Personally, I think he is a buffoon, posing as a very clever man pretending to be a buffoon.

You can never really tell about people, can you?

Gives this entire Forum a sick name that it deserves for many of the posts on here this yearI

I have dozens of mates who have supported City for decades and we (with lots of many varying opinions on Fifa, EPL, FFP, City players past and present) all enjoy great banter

It's a real shame there isn't the chance of exending that on OTIB due to gas, keyboard warriors and tw$$$ who don't go to games (even at A. G) joining in with mischievous intent. 

For the record,  this current side is very similar in personel to the one being rubbished on here earlier THIS year by some, along with the Head Coach who we will do well to keep, the recruitment team and a very savvy Board/owner. This coach is putting in effort with skill to give us a chance of a top 10 finish: or better. 

Anyone who went to Wolverhampton will know how good they are

Now,  hearing idiots talk about anything that tries to dull the rightful current excitement of all true and active City fans is just an irritation that prevents this forum being a really good place to come. Perhaps there should be a password protected Forum  to include attendance at the latest game? This is not a suggestion intended to slight those unable to get to a certain game. But it would clearly invite those to post who had just been to Ipswich or Reading or Watford and de facto reduce the mischievous elements who try to ruin this as a place where true City fans post their valid opinions.  

We should sell a lot of tickets for the 13th and take loads to Sunderland 

Things  have never been better at this Club at this level since 1975 : and yes, I saw every game the season Gary's team got us to Wembley 

Enjoy the views of true fans and try to ignore the trolls 

HR 

4 hours ago, Londoner said:

This season is our best chance to get promoted to the premier league. Better than the play off season, and most likely better than any other season in the near future.

Why? 1) we have a squad and side that is just as good as the majority in this league  (villa and Boro aside) fortunately Boro are in a period of transition with their new manager and his unique style which takes time to understand.

Don't get me wrong, Villa will get promoted.

2) because this league is bang average, far more average than any other season in our Championship history. There is no Brighton Newcastle etc who were streets ahead of the rest. There are no outstanding teams in this league and we need to take this opportunity while it's here.

It's pretty evident that Cardiff Leeds sheff utd are average.....simple as that.

We have the squad, we have the structure....we have a management team and especially head coach where the dury is still out.....why? Common theme with LJ is horrendous runs....lets hope this doesn't happen this season.

Realisticly, we should be expecting the playoffs as a minimum. Not at the start of the season but results change expectations there is no way around that.

I strongly suspect that if we look on other Championship forums, fans who haven't seen much of us will be saying exactly the same about us. It's a bit early to be proclaiming us title challengers and a bit early to be writing off some of the incredibly talented squads that haven't yet found their form

4 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

To call the championship bang average I thought was nonsense. But it's your opinion. We obviously see football and Bristol City in a very different way . That's you're opinion and I respect that . Even though I don't agree with it 

reading between the lines, I think you think he is talking rubbish.

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

This is the new approach of some of the main 'negative' posters....heap faint praise on and create unrealistic new expectations, all in the (conscious or subconscious) hope that they can set the club up for 'failure' (in their mind, at least) and justify their criticisms that sound so hollow at the moment. 

It's pathetic IMO.

Sorry for the delay just being doing some interesting non footbsll related research.

I fail to see how achieving a playoff position is an unrealistic expectation.

We've been fantastic so far but I'd still be delighted with a top half finish.

This league is full of quality and is so unforgiving. Brentford have dominated nearly every game they've played and have only won once! Leeds were looking almost unbeatable a few weeks ago and have now lost 3 in their last 4 out of nowhere. 

Brilliant start, playing some lovely football with some outstanding results but my feet are remaining firmly on the ground!

30 minutes ago, Londoner said:

I fail to see how achieving a playoff position is an unrealistic expectation.

"expectation" being the key word here.

@Phileas Fogg must be right. WUM surely!!

If not you've kindly proved my point. Anyone claiming the expectation is the playoffs this season....well, I'm not even need to get started on that. 

I admire the optimism and its actually refreshing to come onto OTIB and witness positive topics!!!!

However lets not get carried away....a bit of realism wouldn't go a miss here!! I personally am really enjoying this season, the football has been great and for the first time in a long long time we have some serious depth throughout the squad. I think its very naive to write so many teams off, especially only 11 games in. There will be plenty of ups and downs during the season so we should try to embrace it as best we can without being unrealistic. 

There is such a long way to go. I feel confident we wont be in a relegation scrap again, but I am not sure we will have enough for top 6. If we can finish in the top half this season that, for me, would represent a very very good season.

COYR

7 hours ago, Londoner said:

This season is our best chance to get promoted to the premier league. Better than the play off season, and most likely better than any other season in the near future.

Why? 1) we have a squad and side that is just as good as the majority in this league  (villa and Boro aside) fortunately Boro are in a period of transition with their new manager and his unique style which takes time to understand.

2) because this league is bang average, far more average than any other season in our Championship history. There is no Brighton Newcastle etc who were streets ahead of the rest. There are no outstanding teams in this league and we need to take this opportunity while it's here.

It's pretty evident that Cardiff Leeds sheff utd are average.....simple as that.

We have the squad, we have the structure....we have a management team and especially head coach where the dury is still out.....why? Common theme with LJ is horrendous runs....lets hope this doesn't happen this season.

Realisticly, we should be expecting the playoffs as a minimum. Not at the start of the season but results change expectations there is no way around that.

If there are no outstanding teams in this division why is it a foregone conclusion that Villa will be promoted?

10 hours ago, Londoner said:

Lets be honest here....

Its currently too early to say, 11 games so far we still need to face 12 more teams who can just as likely beat us, as we can beat them, I mean our only loss so far this season was Birmingham, and look where they are.

It was at this point last season after 11 games winning 6, drawn 2 and lost 3 before our abysmal run, we are somehow on exactly the same points after the same amount of games. Lets just hope history doesnt repeat itself.

Had you started this thread end of January and we were 4th in the table it may be a different story.

5 hours ago, poland_exile said:

ffs, it's great to have optimism again, but can't you chill out? a few good results don't mean we're going up, just like a few bad results don't mean we're going down. level heads are really needed - on the pitch, but off the pitch just as importantly. 

But it's not really optimism is it? Londoner is trying some reverse psychology  (don't forget he is an academic) to denigrate our start to the season and heap pressure onto the management.

He makes that clear in his replies regarding who he is praising, and despite the title, it is a thoroughly dishonest post.

Archived