IGNORED

Scary true story .........

This whistleblowing idea?

Another Great British idea ..............

If my memory serves me correctly, twas brought in after several hospital scandals (my god, Robbored is right), and the Piper Alpha disaster.

Why?

A massive scandal emerges, often relating to safety, and upon investigation it is found that lots of people knew about the wrong doing, but all were too afraid to speak up, for the reason they thought they would be persecuted. In many cases workers speaking out / "blowing the whistle" were sanctioned or even sacked. To avoid this ever happening again, the Public Interest Disclosure Act was introduced at the end of the last century. In essence this means it is actually illegal to 'cause detriment' to a whistleblower = people will feel confident in speaking out about wrong doing or safety, as they are legally protected.

The law changed.

However, did industry ever accept this?

If you do see dangerous practice, wrong doing, or anything that is wrong and affects the public interest, I can almost assure you of the following:-

- whoever you report your information to will want to know EXACTLY who you are i.e. you will not have any anonymity.

You will be told they can't possibly investigate an anonymous report. Second to this, you will be asked, having supplied your identity, the following question. "Can we tell the organisation you are reporting on who you are". In agreeing to this, you are revealing everything about yourself to the subject of the report. You might as well wear the T-shirt.

Consequences? The situation is effectively the same as pre-1997. 99% of folk are petrified to speak out. People only speak out when it is too late, and disasters have already happened, or people have died as a result of malpractice or breaches of safety.

Speak out, and you are writing your own P45.

tfj

20 hours ago, phantom said:

anyway back on topic what has your friend done about this?

Back on topic - is that an order / threat?

"Yes, Phantom". :worship2:

I'll get an update and report back. Last time I checked he was considering options i.e. retaliate of sit and wait.

tfj

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

His boss has put him on the sick for six weeks.

He's not gone sick - it's at the behest of his boss - how does that work???

Interesting Med3 .........................

:dunno:

I wonder what his union rep will say about it?

:yawn:

tfj

• Admin
13 hours ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

tfj

Simple answer he is talking BS - and I don't mean Bristol Sport

To be legally sick he would need a "Fit note" from a Healthcare Professional of some description, so either there has been one written or basically he has been suspended

12 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

This all smells very dodgy. Odds on your mates not telling the full story I fancy...

He has not self certified, and has not been to his Doctor.

He has shown me his work schedule, and it states 'sick'. This was put there by the employer.

From where I am sitting, the employer is breaking the law for the reason they, I assume, will be claiming part of his pay back through SSP.

Always amazes me when employees are mistreated, how the mud thrown always sticks to some degree.

I've spoken to someone else who works at the same place, and he said this manager is always up to this kind of trick. Perhaps he is talking crap too?

tfj

It would seem some on this thread are questioning the credibility of your friend, TFJ, and perhaps you should also.

You state: 

'His boss has put him on the sick for six weeks.

He's not gone sick - it's at the behest of his boss - how does that work???'

Just think about it.

You turn up for work one day and your boss tells you can't work because you are sick and he signs you off for six weeks!. You then attempt to seek benefits, waving this 'note' from your boss.

In your own words, try to suggest what response you think this might elicit from the friendly person at the benefits office....

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It would seem some on this thread are questioning the credibility of your friend, TFJ, and perhaps you should also.

You state: 

'His boss has put him on the sick for six weeks.

He's not gone sick - it's at the behest of his boss - how does that work???'

Just think about it.

You turn up for work one day and your boss tells you can't work because you are sick and he signs you off for six weeks!. You then attempt to seek benefits, waving this 'note' from your boss.

In your own words, try to suggest what response you think this might elicit from the friendly person at the benefits office....

I would assume (seeing as it’s his boss who has given him 6 weeks off) that he’s off on full pay, so won’t need to claim benefits. As such he’s on ‘gardening leave’.

And if he’s not off on full pay, his boss is opening himself up to even more problems because how would he explain it to the HR department or anyone else for that matter?

TFJ, if your mate has any sense he’ll be spending his 6 weeks in contact with his trade union representatives & (or) a solicitor & giving them all the evidence he has because what’s likely to happen after the 6 weeks?

18 hours ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

tfj

sorry this smacks of being bullshit now,

You can't put some one on sick for 6 Weeks, only a doctor can do that and he needs a sick note in order to do it,

He's been placed on disciplinary leave pending investigation 

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

sorry this smacks of being bullshit now,

You can't put some one on sick for 6 Weeks, only a doctor can do that and he needs a sick note in order to do it,

He's been placed on disciplinary leave pending investigation 

He has not been anywhere near his Doctors, he says.

I have physically seen his work roster, and it says on it 'sick', he also has it in writing that he has done nothing wrong, and he is not being disciplined.

It is bullshit, but the bullshit is from the employer.

Some company's behave like this and only 'smell the coffee' when they are taken to court. When it does, if he does not mind, I will post updates on OTIB.

tfj

1 minute ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

I have physically seen his work roster, and it says on it 'sick', he also has it in writing that he has done nothing wrong, and he is not being disciplined.

Some company's behave like this and only 'smell the coffee' when they are taken to court. When it does, if he does not mind, I will post updates on OTIB.

tfj

I can edit a work roster to say whatever I want you to see

See the trouble is TFJ, when you spend so much time on this forum talking shit and saying all sorts of random stuff, the day you actually try and talk about something serious (the jury is still out as far as I’m concerned as to whether this is fact or fiction) everyone struggles to believe you. 

Just saying 

1 hour ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

If he has it in writing that he has done nothing wrong and is not being disciplined then he should be sat at his desk. What would happen if he walks back in?

He maybe thinking whoopie 6 weeks sick is like having extra holiday but it might not look good for future employers, but that's the least of his worries I guess. What happens after this 6 week period is up, extended?

very, very weird case.

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

See the trouble is TFJ, when you spend so much time on this forum talking shit and saying all sorts of random stuff, the day you actually try and talk about something serious (the jury is still out as far as I’m concerned as to whether this is fact or fiction) everyone struggles to believe you. 

Just saying 

Thanks.

Do you think I care if you believe me or not? Wow.

The story is to highlight how badly some people are treated. Anyone who does not care about 'bad employers' need not read the thread. As it is on page 2, either some folk have an interest in 'scary stories', or the plight of the worker ............

1 hour ago, phantom said:

@Taxi for Johnson was it you that had a friend that was reprimanded in front of a customer that was highlighted a while back

PLEASE tell me it isn't the same "friend"?

Different person from the abuse case.

Shame this case is not in the papers / Daily Mail, or I suppose it would be entirely believable.

So pleased neither Phantom or Dolls are union reps or we would all be screwed.

:grr:

tfj

8 hours ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

tfj

His "work roster" means sweet FA. He also has it in writing that he has done nothing wrong or being disciplined. What then is the problem ?  Starting to wonder who is sprouting the shit here and more to the point why.  Why would any company risk going to court over such complete and utter bollix? 

Archived