IGNORED

Night game trains from TM Club Question

tinman85

It would be great if the club could speak to the train companies around coordination of trains for night games at the Gate for those of us who don't live in the West.

I am a season ticket holder but feel I miss out because trains back after the game to London are a premium due to the long journey from the ground to temple meads. 40 min walk if your lucky. Cab and bus routes not much quicker.  Last train then gets in to London after tube finishes or you have to leave 20 mins early. Guess night games are really only tailored for local supporters, how I wish I still lived in the West! If there were trains at 10pm to 10.15pm even it would be great! 

No chance.

It wouldn't make financial sense for GWR to re-time the exsisting service for the sake of a few midweek games a season and unless we're likely to fill an HST with City fans travelling back to London on a Tuesday night there's no way they would lay on an extra 'special'....especially when another (not particularly busy) train originating from Taunton will be departing Temple Meads for London within 30 minutes.

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

I am a season ticket holder but feel I miss out because trains back after the game to London are a premium due to the long journey from the ground to temple meads. 40 min walk if your lucky. Cab and bus routes not much quicker.  Last train then gets in to London after tube finishes or you have to leave 20 mins early. Guess night games are really only tailored for local supporters, how I wish I still lived in the West! If there were trains at 10pm to 10.15pm even it would be great! 

Not sure what you mean about a premium mate but there are no issues getting home after a night game, several of us who do it from London. Walk is sub half an hour and there is an hour to do it in. Never had any issues!

Granted taxis can be hit and miss if the traffic gets snarled up (which it always does on Coronation Road) but trick is to either get them to head via Dean Lane and cut through ASDA car park, of take a risk and get them to pick up as late as possible at 10 when North St/East St run is clear. 

Personally I've only ever walked for the last year or two and I'm about as far from the exit in the Dolman queues as it's possible to be, (although extra time in a cup game would be an issue granted).

Yes no tubes on arrival in London but there are plenty of night buses from Paddington and with changes (if needed) in Trafalgar Square etc, possible to get anywhere 24/7.  I get to Lewisham (hour on bus) and know someone else who gets to Wimbledon.

Even those who live relatively locally have problems getting trains from TM after evening matches. I had problems after the Stoke match cos the A bus to TM left late and I missed the train to Bradford on Avon. Lots of others on the bus missed train connections, too  

The club could help by supporting a reliable bus service to TM for those fans who use the train. It's difficult enough making the journey to AG from outside of the city, as it is, and if the club really wants to extend its support base beyond the immediate area, then it needs to give serious consideration to this problem. 

Maybe the much-hyped Metro bus will provide a viable alternative?

30 minutes ago, everreddy said:

Even those who live relatively locally have problems getting trains from TM after evening matches. I had problems after the Stoke match cos the A bus to TM left late and I missed the train to Bradford on Avon. Lots of others on the bus missed train connections, too  

The club could help by supporting a reliable bus service to TM for those fans who use the train. It's difficult enough making the journey to AG from outside of the city, as it is, and if the club really wants to extend its support base beyond the immediate area, then it needs to give serious consideration to this problem. 

Maybe the much-hyped Metro bus will provide a viable alternative?

Did you not know? First bus have the contract, not a cats chance in hell of it being successful.

12 hours ago, tinman85 said:

It would be great if the club could speak to the train companies around coordination of trains for night games at the Gate for those of us who don't live in the West.

club can do nothing about it, it doesn't even warrant extra carriages as the cost outweighs the revenue the TOC would make

Archived