IGNORED

Pride

JBFC II

At the moment I couldn't be prouder of my team. 

4 years ago today we were heading into oblivion at the bottom of the league one, about to go to Carlisle to get our first win of the season, we hadn't won a conpetitive game in our last 21 and we'd just come off the back of a defeat at home to Brentford in front of just over 10000.

Now we are 7th in the championship, we have been drawn in the quarter finals of the league cup to one of the biggest clubs in the world, we have lost 2 home games since February and we have had over 49000 through the gates in our last two home games, we have just put 4 goals past a Premier league team. 

I am really proud of my team, of our supporters who have stuck with it through thick and thin and of the club who have progressed in ways none of us could have imagined, and no matter what happens this season or beyond Bristol will always be red! 

COYR

24 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

we'd just come off the back of a defeat at home to Brentford in front of just over 10000.

Never realised our attendances went that low; just checked and our lowest league attendance that season was 10085 a couple of weeks after the Brentford game, incredible how much has changed.

2 hours ago, BCFC101 said:

Never realised our attendances went that low; just checked and our lowest league attendance that season was 10085 a couple of weeks after the Brentford game, incredible how much has changed.

We went that low on the attendances because the football was so dire under SO'D. The only bright spot was JET but he was having to save us each game pretty much singlehandedly. Otherwise you had to be made of pretty stern stuff to keep turning up to watch. And there weren't that many of us ST holders either...

We have come back up a long way since, and the League 1 winning season will live long in the memory, especially as it was so unexpected, and was also the last in the old Williams stand. The shame is that in a sense we wasted a number of years, as we were so poorly run that instead of building on the Championship play off final, we messed up badly and got relegated in the first place.

Hopefully as suggested all of the right building blocks are now in place behind the scenes for the club to keep building and progressing.

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

We went that low on the attendances because the football was so dire under SO'D. The only bright spot was JET but he was having to save us each game pretty much singlehandedly. Otherwise you had to be made of pretty stern stuff to keep turning up to watch. And there weren't that many of us ST holders either...

We have come back up a long way since, and the League 1 winning season will live long in the memory, especially as it was so unexpected, and was also the last in the old Williams stand. The shame is that in a sense we wasted a number of years, as we were so poorly run that instead of building on the Championship play off final, we messed up badly and got relegated in the first place.

Hopefully as suggested all of the right building blocks are now in place behind the scenes for the club to keep building and progressing.

I know it's stupid but for the first time in my life as a City fan, I can honestly say things are looking positive, and that anything could happen as far as the future of the club goes. Europe beckons.

4 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

I know it's stupid but for the first time in my life as a City fan, I can honestly say things are looking positive, and that anything could happen as far as the future of the club goes. Europe beckons.

I'm the same, but for a couple of seasons in the 90s I've been there since the late 70s, I've always seen myself as a realist rather than an optimist/pessimist and I'm so excited at how things are at the moment, performances this season (Leeds aside) have never been better and we've never had a better squad.

I'm not sure how far we can go but one thing is for sure, we're a force to be reckoned with and nobody will be taking us lightly, Manchester included.

Things are on the up, our time us coming again....COME ON YOU REDS 

And it's really good to see everyone on the forum now loving our owner, thanking him for his skill, passion and football expertise. Also to see those moaners from early 2017 acknowledging the management team have got everything right especially ignoring the chance to let Lee go at Easter. 

Agree the 'pillars' are looking very solid now with a squad good enough to give us a more positive run of results and a development plan so good it is the envy of all clubs outside the Premier. 

Lee will always be remembered for this success rather than the blip which was part of his own development and learning last season

CoYRs 

9 hours ago, BCFC101 said:

It wouldn't even have been that many in reality with ST holders inevitably missing deliberately (and there were plenty) or otherwise. 

Definitely a lot to be proud of with the club currently.

These are good times to be a City fan- just look at the last few weeks. Not just in terms of results as I know we had a big blip v Leeds but overall the run of games...

• Leeds Home
  • Palace Home
  • Sunderland Away
  • Cardiff Home

With of course pretty big ones in the League v Sheff Utd and Boro before of course, that tie v Manchester...

All this looked fairly unthinkable 4 years ago IMO.

19 hours ago, CheddarReds said:

Agreed. Feels like there's been some serious thought put in to how we run the club and perform our business with regards to wages, contract lengths, transfer fees etc and it's made a big difference. Hopefully it continues to be sustainable and progressive. 

A win Saturday is key for me. 

Absolutely. The one thing that stands out for me is the penny finally dropped with SL that he needed to spend some serious money to keep us away from the L1 trap door, and have some success at the other end for a change. We are all so grateful for that and I salute him for it :yes: 

10 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

And it's really good to see everyone on the forum now loving our owner, thanking him for his skill, passion and football expertise. Also to see those moaners from early 2017 acknowledging the management team have got everything right especially ignoring the chance to let Lee go at Easter. 

Agree the 'pillars' are looking very solid now with a squad good enough to give us a more positive run of results and a development plan so good it is the envy of all clubs outside the Premier. 

Lee will always be remembered for this success rather than the blip which was part of his own development and learning last season

CoYRs 

It's possible to "love" someone while criticising them, you silly old sod. Although maybe not while sending a death threat. That was bang out of order. Steve Lansdown didn't say "don't moan," he said "do it before the game or after, not during it." And that's what everyone did. Then LJ dropped Tomlin, picked Taylor, and now here we are. Happy days.

Lee might be remembered some day - decades from now - when we lose nine consecutive league games. People will say: "Blimey, the coach that took first took us into Europe, he lost 8 games in a row before that...."

;)

CoYRs

19 hours ago, CheddarReds said:

Agreed. Feels like there's been some serious thought put in to how we run the club and perform our business with regards to wages, contract lengths, transfer fees etc and it's made a big difference. Hopefully it continues to be sustainable and progressive. 

A win Saturday is key for me. 

Pillers

20 hours ago, JBFC II said:

At the moment I couldn't be prouder of my team. 

4 years ago today we were heading into oblivion at the bottom of the league one, about to go to Carlisle to get our first win of the season, we hadn't won a conpetitive game in our last 21 and we'd just come off the back of a defeat at home to Brentford in front of just over 10000.

Now we are 7th in the championship, we have been drawn in the quarter finals of the league cup to one of the biggest clubs in the world, we have lost 2 home games since February and we have had over 49000 through the gates in our last two home games, we have just put 4 goals past a Premier league team. 

I am really proud of my team, of our supporters who have stuck with it through thick and thin and of the club who have progressed in ways none of us could have imagined, and no matter what happens this season or beyond Bristol will always be red! 

COYR

How about the owner who stood by his man through a desperate time - I’ve never been so pleased for him

1 hour ago, RedLionLad said:

We are so far above them now, they're not even talking about us anymore.

They do have Milton Keynes to occupy their thoughts tomorrow..! 

I wonder if Concrete cows are any safer than horses..?

I floated the thought in work this week that no other Premier League or EFL manager in the past 20+ years has enjoyed such a dramatic turnaround in performances, results and fan support than Lee Johnson has in the past eight months or so. Nobody could disagree.

Managers just don't recover from that sort of negative position anymore - either owners pull the trigger straight away or they pretty much get hounded out by supporters.

Almost whatever happens from here, it's quite staggering, really.

8 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I floated the thought in work this week that no other Premier League or EFL manager in the past 20+ years has enjoyed such a dramatic turnaround in performances, results and fan support than Lee Johnson has in the past eight months or so. Nobody could disagree.

Managers just don't recover from that sort of negative position anymore - either owners pull the trigger straight away or they pretty much get hounded out by supporters.

Almost whatever happens from here, it's quite staggering, really.

I really doubted it at time but Steve Lansdown's decision to stick with Lee Johnson was 100% the correct thing to do.  Even if we have a bad run this season, the results since August have been exceptional. Genuine strength and commitment shown by both men.

Beating three Premier League teams in one cup run is a significant achievement when you see the gulf that exists between the two divisions.

I love the vibe at Ashton Gate now. It's a stadium to be proud of. Reading that visitors from clubs like Aston Villa are impressed with how we do the pre-match experience really shows how much the club are getting right.

It'll never be perfect but what a difference in four years. Credit to all those involved.

I have been supporting City for over forty years with many of those years as a season ticket holder and I can honestly say I have never known a time like it.

With the massive development on and off the pitch the whole club from top to bottom is driving forward at a pace that would've been impossible to envisage even a few short years ago.

I think I am very fortunate to be able to see this wonderful transformation as I have witnessed the highs and lows of top flight football with full stadiums to the Division 4 lows.

The club is moving along at such a pace that I feel the upcoming cup match is further vindication that not only is this a wonderful platform to show a wider audience what we are about but that a sustainable long term successful period is just around the corner.

We have so much to look forward to.

COYR

Theres 2 references to europe in this thread, and sl got it right mentioned too.

europe? Seriously? How about we worry about when we lose a few games and secure our championship place before worrying about europe? If anyone has been a city fan for long enough surely they would know that we often have the capability to balls things up royally. It is clearly possible we could lose the next 6 games, in which case the knives will be out for lj again.

Performances come and go and at present I don't know how anyone can be 100% confident that we will even finish top half, (look at what Leeds did to us last week only to then lose at home last night).

However what cannot be altered is the infrastructure, looking at the video on here of the 06/07 promotion season The Gate looks a completely different ground, because, well it was.

That won't ever change now and we have the tools in place to make progress, though doing so in a league awash with parachute payments will always be tough...

Archived