IGNORED

Rumour McInnes to Rangers

Jerseybean

24 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I know a few Scottish journos, they reckon McInnes will turn it down and McLeish will be back for a second spell...

If true, makes you wonder what McInnes wants.

As an ex-ger, he's not getting the Celtic job. Doesn't seem to want the Scotland job and is now being distanced from Rangers. North of the border, its therefore fair to say he's not moving from Aberdeen.

Go south - I can't see him getting a chance in the prem, and he does have baggage from time with us. Mid table champ side at best? Turned down Sunderland IIRC which looks sensible now but would he get a bigger/better job?

Maybe the experience with us put him off challenges outside of his comfort zone. Maybe he is loyal - but if he doesn't take this one, can't see him leaving Pittodrie for a long time

44 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

As an ex-ger, he's not getting the Celtic job. Doesn't seem to want the Scotland job and is now being distanced from Rangers. North of the border, its therefore fair to say he's not moving from Aberdeen.

Go south - I can't see him getting a chance in the prem, and he does have baggage from time with us. Mid table champ side at best? Turned down Sunderland IIRC which looks sensible now but would he get a bigger/better job?

Maybe the experience with us put him off challenges outside of his comfort zone. Maybe he is loyal - but if he doesn't take this one, can't see him leaving Pittodrie for a long time

Rangers have so many problems off the field and on it that he’s probably right staying put. He’s got a very good job at Aberdeen and he’s done a good job there. 

Probably best staying put where he is now and biding his time. 

9 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Apparently Derek McInnes is favourite for the vacant managers job at Rangers: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41774039

I find that really unambitious. He should look to get a job in League 1 and build a reputation here. Was found wanting with us at this level. How he could play Woolford ahead of Bolasie is beyond me. 

19 minutes ago, Lita For Congo said:

Rangers have so many problems off the field and on it that he’s probably right staying put. He’s got a very good job at Aberdeen and he’s done a good job there. 

There is only so much he can do with Aberdeen though and he might not continue to get these opportunities.

24 minutes ago, Lita For Congo said:

We have a winner!!

Lots of speculation that Rangers are on the verge of another financial melt down.

They were paying crazy money  ( relatively) to journeyman players during their'march' through the lower leagues and the new ish ownership apparently promised an influx of cash when they took over but that has not been forthcoming.

As an indication of their largess, Ally McCoist, when the manager in Div 2 and Div 1, was reportedly on £750k per year .

10 minutes ago, David Brent said:

There is only so much he can do with Aberdeen though and he might not continue to get these opportunities.

I’m sure if he maintains top 3 or 4 in the SPL, he will continue to be linked with bigger jobs than his current one. Taking on a job like Rangers now could ruin his reputation. 

To be fair to him, Rangers are a basket case waiting to happen again, and won't be troubling Celtic any time soon. He's done a decent job since going back up there, and to be honest anyone that takes on the Rangers job is going to be expected to win something - regardless of how far Celtic are ahead of them. Why risk another sacking on his CV?

I think the only way he will manage back in the English game again, is if one of the bigger clubs in the Championship went in for him - and before anybody mentions Sunderland, they're on the slide like Bolton were 2 years ago. The only trouble is with waiting for a bigger Championship club, is that he won't be very attractive to them especially when they look at his record for us.

I actually think it would be a good move for him, but he'd need to take the job on his terms. No delusions of grandeur, a solid transfer budget, and time backed by a long-term contract.

From a footballing perspective, it's not a great move, but Scotland are still largely a two club country, and as great a job as he has done that's not going to change any time soon. He should take the job and use it as a stepping stone, either to the Scotland job in the future, or back into the Championship.

There's an odd parallel to the SOD thread started on here.

IMO McInnes got the job here too early in his career. He had some good ideas, but didn't have the contacts or experience in English football. We had a mercenary army of players no Scottish club wanted.

SOD arguably arrived here too late in his career. But that's all on another thread......    :me?:

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

He probably sees the Aberdeen job as a bigger role than the 'Gers job at the moment, especially as he's taken the Dons to three consecutive second place finishes...

Archived