IGNORED

Tammy rejected Nigeria : Now named in the England squad (Merged)

Reigate Red

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It would partly go with how strong their squad is.

If he is leading the line and scoring freely against defences they have a good chance of making it to a World Cup and doing will in a few ACoNs, both will boost his appearences, he only needs 8 games a year until he is 33 to get over 100.

If someone like jay jay ockcha can't get 100 caps for Nigeria I'm pretty sure tammy might struggle??

2 minutes ago, Spoons said:

He wasn't a striker ?? And I'm thinking your whooshing me??!

Because surely you not comparing tammy to jay jay ? Different levels.

You brought a comparison if anything.

"If Jay jay cant, how can Tammy?"

Paraphrased.

Yes, JJ was a midfielder, but a very attacking one who scored plenty and could act as a second striker, he scored every other game when at Fenerbahce, so his goal tally bears some relevance.

Another top player Nigeria had at the same time was Kanu- 87 appearences over 17 years and a whopping 12 goals.

Now back to what I originally said, with the pertinant bit highlighted just for you.

23 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It would partly go with how strong their squad is.

If he is leading the line and scoring freely against defences they have a good chance of making it to a World Cup and doing well in a few ACoNs, both will boost his appearences, he only needs 8 games a year until he is 33 to get over 100.

Paraphrased.

Yes, JJ was a midfielder, but a very attacking one who scored plenty and could act as a second striker, he scored every other game when at Fenerbahce, so his goal tally bears some relevance.

Another top player Nigeria had at the same time was Kanu- 87 appearences over 17 years and a whopping 12 goals.

Now back to what I originally said, with the pertinant bit highlighted just for you.

Hahaha how has it escalated to this level of debate at 11.08pm on a Thursday night!? :clapping:

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Paraphrased.

Ok so that's clear all tammy has got to do is average 8 games a year till he's 33!! 

Easy!! 

Loads of 33 year old strikers about in international football!!

maybe tammy could do something are very own Wayne Rooney couldn't ?! 

Anyway off to bed now!! 

Round two in the morning! 

9 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Ok so that's clear all tammy has got to do is average 8 games a year till he's 33!! 

Easy!! 

Loads of 33 year old strikers about in international football!!

maybe tammy could do something are very own Wayne Rooney couldn't ?! 

Anyway off to bed now!! 

Round two in the morning! 

Rooney did manage over 8 games a year for 13 years though 

That what Tammy needs to match to break 100.

Not complicated.

Kanu played international football at 35. 

Eidur Gudjonsson played internationally until late 30s.

Zlatan is mid 30s

Even cocky Ronaldo is early 30s.

Okocha played international football at 33.

Odemwingie is still playing for Nigeria at 36

As is Obafemi Martins at 32.

Rooney did manage over 8 games a year for 13 years though 

That what Tammy needs to match to break 100.

Not complicated.

But Rooney had a head start. Will be harder for tammy to do that starting his international career later than Rooney. Tammy approaching 20 and still no cap or even decided who to play for!!

I just hope he holds out for England . This season could see him break through if he keeps getting game time at Swansea.

2 minutes ago, Spoons said:

But Rooney had a head start. Will be harder for tammy to do that starting his international career later than Rooney. Tammy approaching 20 and still no cap or even decided who to play for!!

I just hope he holds out for England . This season could see him break through if he keeps getting game time at Swansea.

See my edit, plenty around at 33 plus.

8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

If Tammy did take the Nigeria option, would that count against him in European competitions when 'x' number of players have to be from the country of the qualifying club?

Just guessing, but assuming he's a UK passport holder you'd think he probably wouldn't count?

I think clubs will try and get round this with dual nationality where they can.

17 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Just guessing, but assuming he's a UK passport holder you'd think he probably wouldn't count?

I think clubs will try and get round this with dual nationality where they can.

And in any case he'd count as 'home grown' because he came through Chelsea's academy, irrespective of nationality. Pogba counts as one for Man United, for example. 

13 hours ago, deadredfred said:

Or as we know him, Tammy.

Interesting article on how Nigeria are trying to poach him before he gets a full England cap. Slow news day, I know.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41188906

(I'm aware he's not our player. I'm aware many aren't bothered. Don't sh*t yourself in fury if you're not interested, don't read it.)

Couldn't you have put your last sentence first just to save time.

I posted the last thread where it seemed he was confirmed to be playing for Nigeria, the times have just posted this article:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/tammy-abraham-to-reject-nigeria-for-england-lzwk7h5xc

Hopefully he scores a few more for Swansea so that he can get a look in as 3rd or 4th striker

If he continues to score at a similar rate he could end up on about 16 or 17. That would put him on the fringes of the England squad which would be one hell of an achievement. He's had a bloody tough start to life in the Premier League playing up front on his own with very little service. 

2 minutes ago, Coppello said:

If he continues to score at a similar rate he could end up on about 16 or 17. That would put him on the fringes of the England squad which would be one hell of an achievement. He's had a bloody tough start to life in the Premier League playing up front on his own with very little service

Perfect preparation for an England striker then.

Without reading the article (because I don’t want to register to their website), Southgate was at Swansea’s game at Arsenal on Saturday & considering Arsenal had no English players, Southgate was kind of limited on who he could of been watching.

I would guess Southgate & Tammy would of had some form of discussion & that may of been enough to convince him of his international footballing future?

Archived