IGNORED

Early leavers

Super

• Admin
1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

To me, walking out with 20 minutes left just because we are losing is just petulant and sulky - we ain’t gonna win every game. But the ones who annoy me even more are those who get up to leave early and then just stand on the steps or by the exits, blocking the view of the fans who want to stay to the end in their seats.

Interesting point @BS4 on Tour... I noticed a guy leaving last night, he stopped to speak to a mate of his on the way out - people beside him moaned so he stepped back then people behind him moaned

He was like a rabbit in the headlights :w00t: I did feel sorry for him

Sadly near enough wherever we sit there is always going to be someone in the way at some time - just have to lean to the side of rise up a bit?

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

But football is about those 50-1 moments. Those are the moments you remember. The sheer delirium of a late equaliser or winner is the optimum high of following a football team. Limbs everywhere, hugging people you've never met, planting the massive kiss or your mates forehead, standing on your seat, falling over with pure delight. The noise and togetherness as the whole ground chants in unison. I don't understand why people would want to rob themselves of these moments. 

Nailed it.

34 minutes ago, Dredd said:

TBH if I’ve paid my hard earned money (far far less than any pampered Championship footballer earns) and if I don’t feel like watching anymore then I’m fully entitled to get up and leave. I won’t feel sorry for the players, neither is it a sulking reaction. Fact is if someone is not being entertained by the entertainment they have paid to watch then they can leave. 

I stayed until the board went up then I left. I missed a goal, I could have missed the greatest comeback in many a year but that was something I was happy to live with because I didn’t want to be there anymore and chose that MY time was better spent missing 5 mins of (terrible) football to avoid an extra 25 mins stuck in my car  

Sorry if that doesn’t fit with someone’s classification of being a football supporter, but 20 odd years of having a season ticket, spending god knows how much on concessions and shirts etc means I think I’m probably in a bit of credit in the fan stakes.  

So in the politest way possible, go forth and multiply. 

If it was just about the entertainment factor then people would have been leaving at various stages during the game. It was poor for long periods. But the mass exodus immediately after the second goal proves that for many people - perhaps not yourself - it clearly is a petulant and sulky reaction to the fact that we’re not likely to win the game. Evidently their support was conditional and was withdrawn when winning became unlikely.

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No I haven’t ever walked out of a film or a concert. But those are hardly comparable to supporting a football team, I’d guess you don’t watch the same film or band 30 odd times in nine months?! 

To me, walking out with 20 minutes left just because we are losing is just petulant and sulky - we ain’t gonna win every game. But the ones who annoy me even more are those who get up to leave early and then just stand on the steps or by the exits, blocking the view of the fans who want to stay to the end in their seats.

City supporters should support the team whether we are winning, losing or drawing....some just seem able to support when we are winning and they have to sulk and walk out when we go behind with a large chunk of the game left. Just my views, but I just don’t understand it...we are quite likely to go one or two goals down to Man Utd at home, will the hoardes desert the boys then and just get up to leave? I think it demoralises the players to see loads of fans streaming out when the game is far from over. It certainly doesn’t help our team galvanise themselves to put in extra effort...

cant disagree walking out with 20 mins left was ridiculous, what I was getting at was with a couple of minuets left at 2 nil down a lot of people would think it worth it to beat the traffic etc, I also know it's a risk as occasionally miracles do happen. 

I can understand it in some cases... When you get game after game of absolute dross like last season, it's hardly surprising that people decide to get up and head home for whatever reason when the opposition goes 2-0 up and we are playing poorly. Fair enough. I left early a couple of times during the dark days of McInnes and O'Dismal when the atmosphere around the club was doom and gloom.

But we are having a cracking season and I feel that LJ and the players who have given us so much over the last 22 games deserve better than to see a sea of sulking fans heading for the exits.... right at the time when they need support the most.

Not judging people for what they want to do, just my own tuppance worth and something to think about maybe.

I wish we could get over this pointless debate/argument, the facts are -

* some fans will never leave early, the only time I came close was when 7-1 down at Swansea but still I stayed.

* some fans will always leave early, they wish to beat the traffic for a variety of reasons.

* some fans take defeat worse than others and will leave early if the team is losing.

* Bristol City fans are no less or no more loyal than any other fans. I watched Barcelona a couple of weeks back and fans were leaving early with Barca 2-0 up. If you watch Sky/BT matches and the home team are losing quite often the ground is half empty by the 85th minute.

* (whisper this) even the self styled greatest fans in the world at the Mem have been known to leave early in their droves when losing against an opposition they feel they should beat.

Personally I never leave early,but there are games,like last yesterday ,where you just know it’s not our day and we were never going to get anything out of the game,I think even if we had got the ball into the net that tosser of a ref would of found some reason to disallow it,so understandable some people left early.

The cinema comparison is a false one surely?

I've never gone to a cinema for the explicit reason of wanting to cheer on the actors.

I go to the cinema because I think a film will appeal to me.

I go to watch City to support the club and team.

When a team is playing poorly that is the time the fans are needed to get behind them and spur them on.

17 minutes ago, cityboy said:

The second goal went in at 77, so by the time they kicked back off, about 10 minutes.

The game was crap, I wasn't enjoying it, so I left. Nothing more sinister to it than that.

I left also, if I hadn’t I probably would be facing a ban or worse an assault charge.

Some of their players were an absolute disgrace in particular Hughill and the keeper. Very tempted to jump the barrier and give them the benefit of my frustrations

Fortunately being middle aged and of mature years, by the time I had walked down the steps of the south stand I thought better of it and left it to the rest of the 17k to vent their spleen at these supposed professional footballers and officials

PNE now my No1 hated team!

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

Cough cough.. That was a bubble match and none of us were able to leave 

Indeed. Kept in for what seemed like forever after the whistle for home fans to disperse yet they were still waiting for us when we came out. As if we needed any more torment that day.

2 hours ago, cityboy said:

The second goal went in at 77, so by the time they kicked back off, about 10 minutes.

The game was crap, I wasn't enjoying it, so I left. Nothing more sinister to it than that.

78 mins plus nearly 6 added. 18 mins.

Archived