IGNORED

Football Takes Another Step Towards Insanity

The Coach

20 minutes ago, bris red said:

Of course. But its the steady rise year in year out that we now see that is staggering and quite rightly making joe public question it..Can prices continue to rise? There is seemingly only so much that the tv companys can pump into the game before even that money cannot cover these types of transfers.. 

There is talk of the likes of Amazon and Facebook joining the market and the next deal being even bigger.

On the other hand the Chinese government has placed restrictions on the buying of clubs so yes, there must be a saturation point some day.

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

I really dont people who say he isnt worth it. Two clubs wanted him and we now live in a world where players go for these sums quite often.  Mustafi went to Arsenal for £35m and is awful. Kyle Walker went for £55m. 

Van Dijk is a world class centre back.  

World class? How can you say that until he has played on a world class stage?

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

The money Liverpool have paid Southampton over the last 3/4 years!!

Lanalla, loveren, clyne them alone nearly £100m and now £75 million for Virgil van dirk!!

must be a big sell on to Celtic .

Celtic sold him for £10-13 million, with a 10% sell on clause. 

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

There is talk of the likes of Amazon and Facebook joining the market and the next deal being even bigger.

On the other hand the Chinese government has placed restrictions on the buying of clubs so yes, there must be a saturation point some day.

Madness if the first happens.. we will see!!

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

I really dont people who say he isnt worth it. Two clubs wanted him and we now live in a world where players go for these sums quite often.  Mustafi went to Arsenal for £35m and is awful. Kyle Walker went for £55m. 

Van Dijk is a world class centre back.  

I thought Walker went for £45m with £5m add ons? Did Walker cost £55m? So the BBC saying £52m is the the previous world record fee for a defender (Mendy) is a load of guff?!

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

Would the Prem then be called The Amazon Prime League?

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think there is a bit of ballast in this deal as a recognition for Southampton not pressing for greater punishment over the illegal approach. Imagine what a transfer embargo would have meant to Liverpool.

They'd be stuck with Lovren?

2 hours ago, Up The City! said:

You can tell which posters are Liverpool fans on this thread

I sincerely hope that we are all just Bristol City fans. Each to their own but I have little time for those who "follow" a prem team as their "second club".

Anyway, it will only be more money spunked up the wall as they struggle to finish 4th. 28 years. :D

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Foresight.  Same way I can say Joe Bryan is good enough for the Premier League without seeing him play there

So I could call Joe Bryan world class because I believe he is good enough? Bullshit. To be world class you have to be proven and so far all this guy has done is play well for Southampton. 

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

So playing against Man City etc several times a season isn't playing on a world class stage?

So can we call every CB in the prem world class then?

25 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

So I could call Joe Bryan world class because I believe he is good enough? Bullshit. To be world class you have to be proven and so far all this guy has done is play well for Southampton. 

Are you trying to misrepresent what I was saying or have you misunderstood?

If Van Dijk or anyone else is competing against the like start of Aguero, Hazard, Kane, Ibra etc who are world class players several times a season - you are able to assess whether or not Van Dijk is in that same bracket.

57 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Boring debating with people like you who cannot digest what is being said and then spout crap.  

Who are the Liverpool fans?

50 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Are you trying to misrepresent what I was saying or have you misunderstood?

If Van Dijk or anyone else is competing against the like start of Aguero, Hazard, Kane, Ibra etc who are world class players several times a season - you are able to assess whether or not Van Dijk is in that same bracket.

But again, my point still stands. So a defender from say Burnley or Bournemouth can also be called world class because they play against these same players? 

Our defence must not be far off world class after shutting out Ibra, Martial, Rashford and Lukaku if we are using this logic.

Sorry but world class for me is constantly putting in world class performances for a world class club against world class players such as the ones you mentioned but also the super world class players like Messi, Ronaldo etc.

Rio Ferdinand wasn't world class before he joined United was he? Just like with VD he had the potential to be and that's all Liverpool are buying here, potential. 

Archived