IGNORED

Made me laugh today....

BanburyRed

There're plenty of 'collectors' who go about looking for amusing or outrageous place names. I understand there is a Hardon Road in Wolverhampton, named after a local family. Other chucklesome items include:

Shagbear Wood, near Kelston

Lord Hereford's Knob, Welsh Marches

Minge Lane, Upton on Severn

Shitterton, Dorset

Fingringhoe, Essex

Assington, Sussex

And my personal favourite, Velvet Bottom on the Mendips. I am proud to say I have been up it! :cool:

More fun here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34869505

11 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

There're plenty of 'collectors' who go about looking for amusing or outrageous place names. I understand there is a Hardon Road in Wolverhampton, named after a local family. Other chucklesome items include:

Shagbear Wood, near Kelston

Lord Hereford's Knob, Welsh Marches

Minge Lane, Upton on Severn

Shitterton, Dorset

Fingringhoe, Essex

Assington, Sussex

And my personal favourite, Velvet Bottom on the Mendips. I am proud to say I have been up it! :cool:

More fun here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34869505

The former Mrs RRH`s family used to live in Willey Lane and her sister (14 at the time) refused to say it.

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Slightly off topic bu  that reminds of two brothers called Andrew and Anthony whose mum was called Nora.

Their surname?   Titt.

My ex wife's doctor when first pregnant. ......... Dr Dick 

Chap who worked for me. .......Wally Gator

100% true

15 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

The former Mrs RRH`s family used to live in Willey Lane and her sister (14 at the time) refused to say it.

I have heard it referenced on several occasions, but did Test Match Special really once mention during a match between England and The West Indies 'The batsman's Holding, the bowler's Willey'?

Or, still on the subject of cricket, 'Lillee, caught Willey bowled Dilley'?

• Admin
44 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I have heard it referenced on several occasions, but did Test Match Special really once mention during a match between England and The West Indies 'The batsman's Holding, the bowler's Willey'?

Or, still on the subject of cricket, 'Lillee, caught Willey bowled Dilley'?

Could be an urban myth, last audio clip on this page.

http://www.johnners.com/audio-clips/

42 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Could be an urban myth, last audio clip on this page.

http://www.johnners.com/audio-clips/

Having looked at your link (for which, many thanks - I shall try and listen to the other clips when I have the chance) it would seem that your theory about an urban myth is the most likely.

I also found this on WIKI, which seems to support your theory. 

'The oft-cited quote "The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey" supposedly occurred when Michael Holding of the West Indies was bowling to Peter Willey of England in a Test match at The Oval in 1976. Johnston claimed not to have noticed saying anything odd during the match, and that he was only alerted to his gaffe by a letter from "a lady" named "Miss Mainpiece". According to Christopher Martin-Jenkins, his Cricinfo biography, and the biography by Johnston's son Barry, Johnston never actually made the remark. Barry Johnston says "It was too good a pun to resist ... but Brian never actually said that he had spoken the words on air." Holding himself has expressed his doubt about the phrase ever being said, pointing out that no recording of it exists. Henry Blofeld and former TMS Producer Peter Baxter said that Johnston did not come up with the phrase and did not say it during commentary.'

A propos WIKI, I also read that Brian Johnston died in 1994! Can you believe that, more than twenty years ago?

Finally, the following quote claims to explain why TMS receives cakes from listeners. 

'He once complained on air that he had missed his cake at tea during one match, and was subsequently inundated with cakes from listeners. The TMS team has continued to receive cakes from listeners ever since.'

And visitors need reassuring about Horfield. The tales that come from there...

The term 'cock' crops up in more places than you would imagine, presumably from some form of fowl. For instance, there is a Cockplay Hill near Kielder Forest, Willycock Stones in Cumbria, and Great Cockup with LIttle Cockup not far up the road.

One more from the archives north of the border:

5a4ea947008ec_PICT6376copy.thumb.JPG.cf5455c7908b4c3917c47238d383ba83.JPG

Wonder what they produce there...:yawn:

On 02/01/2018 at 18:54, Juan Kerr said:

Bells End Road in Walton on Trent.

On 02/01/2018 at 21:50, ziderheadarmy said:

There is a village just south west of Birmingham called “Bell End” the pub is called the “Bell Inn” 

The Times today has an article ‘Celebtations ringing out in Bell End’

200E35B3-25F9-4E45-9E9F-0F7C6DA1ABA9.jpeg

Archived