IGNORED

Man City Fans

Robin 101

10 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

To be fair, much as I hate half and half scarves, I'm much more sympathetic to people buying one as a memento of this game that most other games where I have seen them. That said:

a) I still don't think they should wear it at the game itself - the whole point of kits and scarves is to make a sea of colour of the team you support.

b)  you could just as easily make do with a programme. Incidentally £3 for a programme seemed bloody reasonable. 

Have to agree with Point B my friend. I never buy programmes personally, but a friend did for this game. It was really good quality and had genuinely interesting stuff in there and a lot of praise for our boys. Much better than a half and half made in a sweatshop.

If you want a memento, buy a programme.

2 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Have to agree with Point B my friend. I never buy programmes personally, but a friend did for this game. It was really good quality and had genuinely interesting stuff in there and a lot of praise for our boys. Much better than a half and half made in a sweatshop.

If you want a memento, buy a programme.

This was the first programme I've bought in at least a decade. It was a combination of it being so cheap and it being the kind of game where I wanted something I could look back on and say I was there...

16 hours ago, MCFC said:

fan cam? wtf is that?! He's not wrong, my season ticket is in 115, the bottom tier of the stand you were in, to the right of the middle, I have been to many games where friends that are in the third tier tell me they haven't heard us down in 115, whereas we have been singing most of the game.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/fan-cam-manchester-city-v-bristol-city/

Love watching Man City, try to get up there a couple of times each year to take the opportunity to see such a great team whilst I can.  Last time was for the Napoli game a couple of months ago.  Will be up there again soon no doubt.  Only real gripe is wtf they have outdoor bars and no indoor options - it's rather cold up there in the middle of January!!  Funnily enough I've never actually seen anything other than a Man City win when there - perhaps I should have stayed away from the first leg!  My first time as an away fan there, facilities just as good as in the home stand to their credit.

Having said all of that, I still hope we batter you in the second leg ;)

11 hours ago, poland_exile said:

Man City are something of a cautionary tale: used to love watching them on TV back in the day of Kinkladze, Rosler, etc., and I think everyone harboured an open respect for them when they were pulling 30,000 plus during their plummet to the third flight. They were an antidote to Man Utd, a cool club that seemed mad (for it!) on and off the pitch. And Maine Road, wow, there was a ground that looked the real deal: all odds and ends and bang inside a tight grid of terraced houses. At a time when Liverpool were the Spice Boys and Man Utd were at their smug, pompous peak, Man City were a helter skelter club for real people. 

Then the money came, the stadium, the success. 

With the novelty of silverware wearing off, I'm sure many Man City fans aren't so keen on how it's all panned out - that is, their side becoming a blow-up doll being spit-roasted by Rupert Murdoch and some shady oil baron. 

There's modern football for you :( 

The stadium came years before the money.

9 hours ago, poland_exile said:

fair enough, I don't claim to speak for all or anyone other than myself. personally, though, and with all due respect, I'd rather sail in our boat than yours. All the best for the rest of the season, the obvious game aside :) 

Supporters of other clubs often say they would hate a big investor to take over their club. But would you really? In September 2008 I came home from work and put Sky Sports news on, it was deadline day, they were running a banner headline along the bottom of the screen "Tottenham have accepted a bit of 35 million for Burbatov from Manchester City" f**in *******, I thought, they have wrote City instead of United! Then another headline "Manchester City have been bought by an Arab sheikh and become the richest club in the world". Now a lot of things went from my head in a short space of time but strangely none of them were "well f*k this for a game of soldiers I'm never going to a game again, I'm a Bury fan from here in out, they will continue to disappoint me in the way I love"

Maybe you would have? But neiither you or your club or anyone else and their club ever have that the opportunity to know how I felt that day, financial foul play put paid to that! 

Manchester City is a fantastic club both on and off the pitch.

They have world class players, a really engaging top class manager, a brilliant stadium and above all they have a well grounded and decent fan base.

It's all about respect and opinions and I've seen nothing but respect from their fans.

Playing a championship team in the least glamourous of the four competitions they are competing in I am not really bothered about seeing the empty seats.

I am just glad that we were playing them  on the same pitch and giving them more of a match than a lot of other teams have done.

Hopefully it won't be long before we can visit them again.

1 hour ago, Man City in peace. said:

Supporters of other clubs often say they would hate a big investor to take over their club. But would you really? In September 2008 I came home from work and put Sky Sports news on, it was deadline day, they were running a banner headline along the bottom of the screen "Tottenham have accepted a bit of 35 million for Burbatov from Manchester City" f**in *******, I thought, they have wrote City instead of United! Then another headline "Manchester City have been bought by an Arab sheikh and become the richest club in the world". Now a lot of things went from my head in a short space of time but strangely none of them were "well f*k this for a game of soldiers I'm never going to a game again, I'm a Bury fan from here in out, they will continue to disappoint me in the way I love"

Maybe you would have? But neiither you or your club or anyone else and their club ever have that the opportunity to know how I felt that day, financial foul play put paid to that! 

We are owned by a billionaire, we went down the route of chucking huge wages at aging players (David James a notable example) and I hated us doing it.

Going down that route put us onto the path to relegation, rather than the promotion that we were after.

Our billionaire doesnt have the money of an entire nation, but I'd rather we go down our current path than spend £30m on a defender, then replace him with a £40m one a year later.

Our path won't bring instant success and our wage structure means should we get promoted we won't trouble the top end teams, but I do not expect us to.

We have shown this season we can more than hold our own against some very good sides without throwing stupid money around.

Now I realise that wasn't your strongest side on Tuesday, though in a purely attacking sense it wasn't that far off, but what you may not realise is that it wasn't our strongest either. Not sure how much you follow outside of your team, so a brief run down: CB playing LB, CB playing RB, LB playing LM, CM playing RM, CM playing ST. All but one of those forced because of injuries.

If we were suddenly taken over by a Sheik or whatever I would have concerns certainly, particularly long term as the foreign owners coming in and being as committed as yours are the exception. If we then started throwing money around like it was nothing and threw away the basis we have worked around I would also have concerns. Look at the financial problems so many clubs have because they spent beyond their means and then the owner got bored/ran out of money/whatever, we are currently trying to become self sustainable (still a fair way off, but it is the goal) and I would be mightily pissed off if one day we threw away the hard work done progressing towards that while still improving as a club.

On 1/10/2018 at 21:20, Loon plage said:

Pricey pub fella 

If you mean the Steam Crane, yep, I agree, however, the range of beers they have on tap/bottled is (or was) fantastic, and I love my beer, as my waistline will tell you :D

Is it still the two bearded hipsters running it?

10 hours ago, cityboy said:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/fan-cam-manchester-city-v-bristol-city/

Love watching Man City, try to get up there a couple of times each year to take the opportunity to see such a great team whilst I can.  Last time was for the Napoli game a couple of months ago.  Will be up there again soon no doubt.  Only real gripe is wtf they have outdoor bars and no indoor options - it's rather cold up there in the middle of January!!  Funnily enough I've never actually seen anything other than a Man City win when there - perhaps I should have stayed away from the first leg!  My first time as an away fan there, facilities just as good as in the home stand to their credit.

Having said all of that, I still hope we batter you in the second leg ;)

If you normally get your tickets direct from the club, give me a shout beforehand when you know you want to go, and I should be able to get you them a lot cheaper, from season ticket holders that cannot make the match for whatever reason, we have a facebook group for this very reason, to try and get the seats filled and a bit of cash back for the ticket holder. Obviously the derby and games like Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool at home are the hardest to get.

On 1/10/2018 at 22:29, BTRFTG said:

Man C fans on here do not have to justify themselves.

We drank into the wee small hours with a few of their old timers and amazing how despite the major differences between our clubs, how many similarities there are. Since the move from Maine Road and the intake of new money they've added 40% fans, some plastics, some welcome returners, some new, many despised by the 'where were you Div 3 brigade'. Exactly the same could be said of us since Lansdown took over. A significant number of fans sat near me clearly had zero understanding of Law 12 so does that make them plastic, ignorant or both? Me, I'm glad they're there, hope they return and in time learn the laws. Also, some older fans giving it large about their 'visits to Maine Road - used to be next door' clearly unaware of City's history or historic location (yes they're now back home.) 

Rather than criticise others let's get our own house in order first (and that includes the utter embarrassment of those 'fans' abusing the cabbies as we came out.)

Thanks to both clubs, players and fans it was a night to remember. Nuff said.

Law 12 is lost on me. Can you expand.

If, as I suspect, the cabby abuse was in respect of their race/skin colour, then this would certainly be disappointing after what seems to have been such a great night with mutual respect and good humour between both sets of fans.

7 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

We are owned by a billionaire, we went down the route of chucking huge wages at aging players (David James a notable example) and I hated us doing it.

Going down that route put us onto the path to relegation, rather than the promotion that we were after.

Our billionaire doesnt have the money of an entire nation, but I'd rather we go down our current path than spend £30m on a defender, then replace him with a £40m one a year later.

Our path won't bring instant success and our wage structure means should we get promoted we won't trouble the top end teams, but I do not expect us to.

We have shown this season we can more than hold our own against some very good sides without throwing stupid money around.

Now I realise that wasn't your strongest side on Tuesday, though in a purely attacking sense it wasn't that far off, but what you may not realise is that it wasn't our strongest either. Not sure how much you follow outside of your team, so a brief run down: CB playing LB, CB playing RB, LB playing LM, CM playing RM, CM playing ST. All but one of those forced because of injuries.

If we were suddenly taken over by a Sheik or whatever I would have concerns certainly, particularly long term as the foreign owners coming in and being as committed as yours are the exception. If we then started throwing money around like it was nothing and threw away the basis we have worked around I would also have concerns. Look at the financial problems so many clubs have because they spent beyond their means and then the owner got bored/ran out of money/whatever, we are currently trying to become self sustainable (still a fair way off, but it is the goal) and I would be mightily pissed off if one day we threw away the hard work done progressing towards that while still improving as a club.

My comments were purely about the feelings I had the day of the takeover in response to someone saying "rather be in our boat than yours", they bore no relation to our match the other night. But for what it's worth it was close to our strongest eleven and I was certainly confident when I saw the team news, albeit that we never play quite as well when Fernandinho and Silva (David) are out of the side.

the path you are on may very well be the choice of your owners but if he did chose to go down the route of splurging cash on expensive signings, he wouldn't be able to! Financial fair play would stop you. A lot of people bought into the myth created by FIFA that the ruling made football an equal playing field, it didn't. As you can now only spend what you earn the rule protects Europes elite from being infiltrated, the top grossing sides financially will always be the top grossing sides financially. We sneaked through the door which was then firmly bolted and locked behind us. In businesses outside of football nobody is prevented from investing as much as they like, why should football be any different?  Whilst I do appreciate that the ruling stops clubs over spending and getting into financial difficulty (Portsmouth as an example), it does mean that no other club can ever now join Europes elite by being taken over by a "sugar daddy", that dream is over.

On 10/01/2018 at 22:56, PHILINFRANCE said:

Thanks for the link Bob.

I have now solved one of life's great mystery's.

WTF is Tit Cricket?

Tit cricket 

' game played at social functions where there are large amounts of women. You get one run each time you nudge a womans tit, four runs for a one handed grab and to hit a six requires a twohanded two tit grab, the bloke with the most runs wins.'

Anyone for tennis?

Popular in certain parts of North Bristol, I believe.

Question for the Man City fans on here.. How do you feel about the hangers on from Ireland, Africa and the gulf that have suddenly professed their love for the club now they've started winning things? I can imagine the City faithful have very little time for that nonsense, given that they are a local, working class fanbase and have had to put up with 20 years of seing it happen at the nearest and dearest neighbours.

Some Irish kiddy on facebook commented that our away following was just to watch Man City and that it was a "nice little day out" for our fans. When I told him not to patronise us and that it wasn't so long ago his team were in the third tier (a division below us) he actually refused to believe me!! Annoying, but I guess it's the price of success.

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Law 12 is lost on me. Can you expand.

If, as I suspect, the cabby abuse was in respect of their race/skin colour, then this would certainly be disappointing after what seems to have been such a great night with mutual respect and good humour between both sets of fans.

I think Law 12 states that "Superfans shall demonstrate their superior knowledge of the rules of football, previous grounds of teams they don't even support, and so on, in passive aggressive posts that claim to welcome new fans but probably do the opposite".

Or it might be about fouls ..... :whistle:

7 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Question for the Man City fans on here.. How do you feel about the hangers on from Ireland, Africa and the gulf that have suddenly professed their love for the club now they've started winning things? I can imagine the City faithful have very little time for that nonsense, given that they are a local, working class fanbase and have had to put up with 20 years of seing it happen at the nearest and dearest neighbours.

Some Irish kiddy on facebook commented that our away following was just to watch Man City and that it was a "nice little day out" for our fans. When I told him not to patronise us and that it wasn't so long ago his team were in the third tier (a division below us) he actually refused to believe me!! Annoying, but I guess it's the price of success.

It's bound to happen. To be fair, the Irish lads probably followed us for a long, long time. The ones from the middle east are obviously following us due to our owner, as for the Africans, Americans etc. I just ignore them, and I often take the p1ss out of them on social media for their ridiculous outpourings of affection.

The day we become like that lot, is the day I give up my season ticket, and will just go to the odd game or three a season.

Some excellent beer on our trip up on Tuesday night @MCFC. Drank in a Blackjack brewery pub, a Cloudwater brewery pub and the Marble Arch was about as good as a decent little boozer gets! Also did the Castle Hotel for a late one after the game on the recommendation of some locals. 

17 hours ago, MCFC said:

If you mean the Steam Crane, yep, I agree, however, the range of beers they have on tap/bottled is (or was) fantastic, and I love my beer, as my waistline will tell you :D

Is it still the two bearded hipsters running it?

Archived