IGNORED

We went on a run before, we can do it again!!

BCFC1512

Think this run was inevitable we have played a ridiculous amount of games with a depleted squad.We have also had the distraction of massive cup games.Football is so much about confidence and momentum which is why teams go on runs.Now the cup games may be coming to an end we can refocus, rest get players back from injury and go again.To beat 4 prem sides and give man City there hardest game of the season you are a good team.It will turn round.

Exceptional December, terrible January - just need to grab a win at home to QPR and pick up again from February onwards.  We will finish about 3rd or 4th.

For a while now, I've had a feeling that we are going to miss out this season by a whisker, but win the league as Champions next time around.

23 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Exceptional December, terrible January - just need to grab a win at home to QPR and pick up again from February onwards.  We will finish about 3rd or 4th.

For a while now, I've had a feeling that we are going to miss out this season by a whisker, but win the league as Champions next time around.

What’s changed for you then Kev? Less than a month a go, you posted the topic where you said you thought we’d finish ‘top 2’.

That was only a few weeks ago, what has changed your opinion?

Things are finally catching up with us in this run , 5 defeats on the spin but form during most of it has held up.

Wolves; little unlucky, poor choices cost us deserved something out of the game.
Villa; step too far , tiredness killed us and the injury list started to tell.
Watford; The U23's basically.
Man C; Back too it and unlucky.
Norwich; No cutting edge and the first time that we looked like we were missing a striker.

The run is so much different to last year. I thought we set up wrong yesterday, Mags and JB had started to look like a good left side partnership , and I probably would have started both the new boys on the bench. Patto and Kent came off of the wing too much when they were there and effected the balance. JB's delivery was poor but little to aim at as no point hitting crosses for a big man when at best we have Reid, Patto,and Brownhill in the box. Taylor is ineffective and Woodrow may have been a better option as he's better in the air. That said their CB partnership was a big 'un. 
It was a poor day in the last third yesterday, didn't cause many problems for their keeper, our best chances came through Bronhill , one that hit the bar (off target) and the one the keeper blocked, other than that it was catching practice. Norwich had 3 decent chances from memory , though the only save FF made was one he should have saved comfortably. 
Bringing in a striker is a difficult one, permanent will mean 3 similar players when all fit and a loan may be difficult as all that will probably be available is a youngster, and they're not all going to do a Tammy. No doubt we need a presence up front , but hard time to find one and if we do how many paces goalscorer are out there? I'm hoping that our system and players are (at the moment) more suitable for away games, and to play on the break. We need to start picking up points soon just to keep us in touch, we have 3 winnable games with 2 tough away games either end , a result at Derby could set us up for a good run, another defeat and the pressure would mount. 
As I've said, I think the form (in general) has been OK , circumstances have caught up with us and we need to sort it soon, what IS Tammy up to these days??

Every team at the top end of this division has gone on a bad run (bar wolves who just seem to be superhuman).

Cardiff lost 4 on the bounce before yesterday.

Derby started off poorly and are now in a rich vein of form but can you realistically see it carrying on for another 3 months? They are known bottlers when it comes to promotion.

Sheffeild United and Ipswich we’re right up there and now both can’t see to buy a win or find some consistency. Same can be said for Leeds.

What I’m saying is, I’d rather us find our dip in form midway through a season than towards the business end of it and tail away at the last. We have the character and strength to bounce back and challenge again with half a squad coming back in contention over the next couple of months.

I personally think we’ll make the play offs this year but I don’t think it’s the year we go up. I’ve got a feeling we will emulate Brighton who were up there for a couple of seasons before everything clicked and they walked the league (well almost)

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What’s changed for you then Kev? Less than a month a go, you posted the topic where you said you thought we’d finish ‘top 2’.

That was only a few weeks ago, what has changed your opinion?

One word ... Derby.  I just don't see them slipping now, and alas I'm confident they will finish 2nd, and as a rule, I never back us to win the play offs.  Will be amazed to be proven wrong.

As for next season, with the special squad of players we have and the positivity associated with City, I can see us building on that again in the summer and bringing in the players to win us the league.

28 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

One word ... Derby.  I just don't see them slipping now, and alas I'm confident they will finish 2nd, and as a rule, I never back us to win the play offs.  Will be amazed to be proven wrong.

As for next season, with the special squad of players we have and the positivity associated with City, I can see us building on that again in the summer and bringing in the players to win us the league.

Derby are serial bottlers though. They`ve been nailed on for the last couple of seasons and blown it in the last ten games. I`m hoping they do similar this year.

3 hours ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Every team at the top end of this division has gone on a bad run (bar wolves who just seem to be superhuman).

Cardiff lost 4 on the bounce before yesterday.

Derby started off poorly and are now in a rich vein of form but can you realistically see it carrying on for another 3 months? They are known bottlers when it comes to promotion.

Sheffeild United and Ipswich we’re right up there and now both can’t see to buy a win or find some consistency. Same can be said for Leeds.

What I’m saying is, I’d rather us find our dip in form midway through a season than towards the business end of it and tail away at the last. We have the character and strength to bounce back and challenge again with half a squad coming back in contention over the next couple of months.

I personally think we’ll make the play offs this year but I don’t think it’s the year we go up. I’ve got a feeling we will emulate Brighton who were up there for a couple of seasons before everything clicked and they walked the league (well almost)

As Meatloaf sang "you took the words right out of my mouth".

I’m still very confident that we are going the distance.  We’ve lost 3 on the spin imho.  I couldn’t really care less about Watford, and Man City...we lost...but re-affirmed how good a side we are.

Getting automatic promotion is still on, but I really don’t know if we will get there.  If we beat Derby, we go back within 2 points of them, might still be 3 behind Cardiff, who knows.  We will need a run of say 4 wins out of 5, at some point....that has a big impact, other than that we need to keep getting 8/9 points every 5 games (the equivalent of 17/10 that GJ used to aim for).

I think the vast majority on here realise December caught up with us, but at least we had 47/24 in the bank before then.  We could actually afford a blip, of course we can’t afford for it to continue too far into February, or else it will be catch-up.

Need to go back to basics a little bit results-wise, taking a point rather than gambling on three and getting none....keep putting points on the board.

If we beat Derby then it all starts to look possible for automatic promotion again. If we lose then it starts to look like we wont make the playoffs.

Fine margins, either of which im pretty happy with at the moment - im not one for thinking the prem is the be all and end all or that its worth selling out our future to get there, I think if we have everything else in place then we will get there eventually anyway and winning at the top of this league is good football and excellent fun.

Whereas historically our current position is a 1 in 10 year experiance for us this time you can see a future to it - this time we have built a team/squad capable of challenging at this level for at least the next 4 years and by that point I would have expected us to be fully ready for the next 4 years.

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Derby are serial bottlers though. They`ve been nailed on for the last couple of seasons and blown it in the last ten games. I`m hoping they do similar this year.

Gary Rowett is the difference, I've heard most of his interviews for the last year, and he gives me the impression of a determined manager going places.

Birmingham owners must have been nuts.

42 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I see. Understandable point of view Kev. I think it's very easy to see how an opponent is doing in short term form and think we could never catch them.

Derby must've thought the same about us through December until Wolves or about Cardiff a few weeks ago.

I am sure that like us, Cardiff and Derby will have blips themselves. It's incredibly hard, unless you have such an absurdly strong squad (Wolves), to sustain rich runs of form over almost half a season. Likewise I'm sure we'll come into form ourselves again.

Remember; this was a Derby side we beat 4-1 a few months ago. 

Next weekend's game is huge for us. We are a good away side though and I don't think we will lose.

24 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I see. Understandable point of view Kev. I think it's very easy to see how an opponent is doing in short term form and think we could never catch them.

Derby must've thought the same about us through December until Wolves or about Cardiff a few weeks ago.

I am sure that like us, Cardiff and Derby will have blips themselves. It's incredibly hard, unless you have such an absurdly strong squad (Wolves), to sustain rich runs of form over almost half a season. Likewise I'm sure we'll come into form ourselves again.

Remember; this was a Derby side we beat 4-1 a few months ago. 

Next weekend's game is huge for us. We are a good away side though and I don't think we will lose.

That Derby win was incredible, though no doubt it acted to highlight a few problems for them and give some extra resolve / grit.

Unless we bring our League Cup form to Pride Park, I see Derby beating us on Friday; with the subsequent 8 point gap and their far superior goal advantage, we'll find it hard to catch them.  Whatever happens though, this is an epic season.

21 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

That Derby win was incredible, though no doubt it acted to highlight a few problems for them and give some extra resolve / grit.

Unless we bring our League Cup form to Pride Park, I see Derby beating us on Friday; with the subsequent 8 point gap and their far superior goal advantage, we'll find it hard to catch them.  Whatever happens though, this is an epic season.

Don't write us off Kev, we're a good side and we've provided plenty of evidence this season that we're a very good away side. I don't think we'll lose and may even give Diedhiou a run out.

Where's the usual @reddogkev optimism?! 

As you say, our defeat of Derby may have helped them identify issues - but likewise the defeats by Villa for example should do the same to us. 

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Don't write us off Kev, we're a good side and we've provided plenty of evidence this season that we're a very good away side. I don't think we'll draw and may even give Diedhiou a run out.

Where's the usual @reddogkev optimism?! 

As you say, our defeat of Derby may have helped them identify issues - but likewise the defeats by Villa for example should do the same to us. 

Good points, PF, we are capable of beating Derby again.  I'm saving all my optimism for us beating Man City 2-0, which requires a lot of it, as you can imagine!

8 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

QPR onwards ;)

Yes QPR followed by Bolton and Sunderland are (in theory) good opportunities to turn our form around.

I’d still be more than happy with making the play offs; that will have exceeded my expectations for the season. While Derby look favourites for 2nd at the moment. I wouldn’t rule out Villa. 

We are having a great season and the majority of fans would not probably have expected that, most I think saw us finishing mid-table. 

Right now we are not winning games and as has already been said most teams have such a run of games.

It is not difficult to identify why we are going through this; our cup run, injuries, lack of experienced/strong cover being the main factors. Our lack of quality, proven, forwards is a particular concern IMO.

Addressing things means either further strengthening in this window or simply waiting for injuries to key players to resolve. Ideally I’d like to see an on loan experienced forward added, but appreciate that’s easier said than done!

Personally would be delighted if we finish anywhere above mid-table, especially if we get into the play-offs.

Anyone can beat anyone in the Championship, let’s carry on enjoying our season and see where we end up.

Certainly feel that if we are still a Championship team next season and continue to progress as we have, we will be strong contenders for an automatic promotion place.

Archived