IGNORED

League Cup Run did cost us plenty of points

cheshire_red

Of the six League games after each round of the Cup we have won just one of six, away at Sunderland of the others we drew with Villa, Norwich and QPR and lost two to Birmingham and Norwich. Hadn't realised that until reading the excellent Loft for Words match preview https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/47389/qpr-hope-to-profit-from-any-city-cup-hangover--preview

Really good overview, only one small point is that they failed to notice how Fammy has been out injured hence why he hasn't been playing

"Famara Diedhiou who arrived for reasonably big money from the other side of the Channel over the summer but has struggled for starts due to the form of Bobby Reid"

9 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

"Famara Diedhiou who arrived for reasonably big money from the other side of the Channel over the summer but has struggled for starts due to the form of Bobby Reid"

Whoever produced that article obviously hadn't done their homework...............:disapointed2se:

1 minute ago, Midlands Robin said:

I wouldn't swap that feeling at the final whistle against Man Utd for anything.

We have plenty of games left this season to push on.

This.

It ain't every day you knock out one of the world's biggest teams.

And then give another of the world's biggest teams something to think about.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Hoping that today we have a stronger squad and that the previous games / results were down to fatigue.

Hoping the same - this game feels different in that the cups are all over now and everyone is focussed entirely on the league. 

Add to that the fixtures haven’t piled up in quite the same way as before and up-to Christmas and with the players returning/new additions to strengthen the squad.

We are all set to kick on again now. 

:fingerscrossed:

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Plenty of speculation on otib Jim especially around transfers in and out.

All part of the fun I guess.

Here's a hypothetical for you - you just so happened to be in the coffee shop at AG one day and on the table next to you was LJ, Ashton and Cole Skuse.

Johnson says to you 'Robbored my old chum, I am here with Mark because Cole Skuse is going to sign for us'

Skuse nods in agreement. Ashton is brandishing a contract which Skuse is signing.

(In a disused coffee cup on the table is an excel spreadsheet with the squad's wages on.)

Would you still only believe Skuse was signing when it's published on the website or would that be evidence enough for you?

2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Hoping the same - this game feels different in that the cups are all over now and everyone is focussed entirely on the league. 

Add to that the fixtures haven’t piled up in quite the same way as before and up-to Christmas and with the players returning/new additions to strengthen the squad.

QPR, Bolton and Sunderland is a great 3 games to kick on too.

Given there's only 3 matches today, a win can put a little pressure on teams like Villa for Tuesday.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Here's a hypothetical for you - you just so happened to be in the coffee shop at AG one day and on the table next to you was LJ, Ashton and Cole Skuse.

Johnson says to you 'Robbored my old chum, I am here with Mark because Cole Skuse is going to sign for us'

Skuse nods in agreement. Ashton is brandishing a contract which Skuse is signing.

(In a disused coffee cup on the table is an excel spreadsheet with the squad's wages on.)

Would you still only believe Skuse was signing when it's published on the website or would that be evidence enough for you?

I be LJ would have been briefed about Robbored by his old man, so RR probably wouldn't have the stones to argue with him.

3 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I have a very good feeling about today - not sure why. I just have a feeling it's going to be a Huddersfield at home type result from last season. 3 or 4-0.

No cups to think about, Diedhiou back and getting fit, Bobby reverted back to his preferred role.. Diony to make an appearance.. Kent and Walsh settling in.. Think we're going to make a statement.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Hmmmm.....that's a tough one PF

I'd post it on here because I'd actually seen the three of them with the contract in view. Therefore I'd know it was true.

Just now, Robbored said:

I'd post it on here because I'd actually seen the three of them with the contract in view. Therefore I'd know it was true.

I'd say that's a wise answer. However, still could be wild speculation in my book - better to be safe than sorry and wait until it's on the OS.

Given the fact that we are 5th 5 points off 2nd with 18 games left. Beat 4 premier league teams with one of them being Man U and ran Man City close 5-3 over 2 legs and being the only side to score 2 goals against them since October domestically. To have all the players we have had out with injuries and now with them slowly coming back. I mean for Diedhiou to put the 45 mins he did against Derby given he's been out since October was great. And to make the signings we have made with Diony "the bull" plus 2 loans. And to have the next 3 games we have QPR (H), Bolton (A) and Sunderland (H). Three very winnable games on paper, over the next 3 weeks with no cups to distract us. We could be on 57 points middle of Feb with all injuries near enough back and be pushing hard to get into top 6 or even 2nd place. 

Time will tell but personally, I think things are in a good place even with the league cup and international break ruining our form a little if u want to argue that. 

The other benefit of the cup run is it’s enabled squad rotation. With only league games, it’s usually the same players getting game time but the extra matches have forced us to play our backup players.

Little things like that help squad harmony and the league cup run also meant we basically threw the FA Cup game whilst giving debuts to academy players. That experience of playing Watford will also benefit them hugely.

38 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

You cant say it definitely cost us points unless you know for a fact we would have picked up points in those games had we not played in the cup.

All we can do is speculate.

The facts are we had a injury ridden squad that had to play very emotional ties against top teams, and given that it coincided with our worst form in the league to date, I think it is not just  speculation, but a reason.   

53 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Really good overview, only one small point is that they failed to notice how Fammy has been out injured hence why he hasn't been playing

Also , Fammy didn't come from Cardiff.

:disapointed2se:

1 minute ago, 1bristolcity said:

The facts are we had a injury ridden squad that had to play very emotional ties against top teams, and given that it coincided with our worst form in the league to date, I think it is not just  speculation, but a reason.   

It is just speculation as there is no way of knowing what would have happened.

Perhaps some players would have got upset and caused issues due to lack of game time, given that the cup run allowed a bit more rotation.

Perhaps Korey, having a bit more energy having played less games, would have got caught worse by Fleck against Sheffield United and had his leg snapped in two.

Perhaps, perhaps.

All speculation.

8 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Can never be sure, but it feels like it has cost us points. However, in the round it has been worth it, at least to me. Might be wrong, but we also lost Fammy to injury in a cup game? Equally who is to say the cup run has not generated the cash or profile to attract players in this window that now power us on?

in the round, given were we are, one cup run is enough, so happy to be out of the FA Cup.

40 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I have a very good feeling about today - not sure why. I just have a feeling it's going to be a Huddersfield at home type result from last season. 3 or 4-0.

No cups to think about, Diedhiou back and getting fit, Bobby reverted back to his preferred role.. Diony to make an appearance.. Kent and Walsh settling in.. Think we're going to make a statement.

I hope you're right!

I think if we can get an early goal this may well happen.

But we are back to the league at home with teams coming to frustrate and nick a goal, ala Norwich. We all know we tend to struggle in these games.

Hopefully the physical impact of Fam, and maybe later in the game Lois, can be the difference this week if QPR come and do that. 

23 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Why James would you 'rubbish' this? It's a very reasonable response that has some weight of evidence to support what I say, I wasn't belittling you or your post, just seems a vert strange reaction...something else maybe that motivates you perhaps? Yes that must be it .:yes:

55 minutes ago, Robbored said:

But you know everyone round be posting "photo or it didn’t happen" :P :P :P

Would be less hassle to post nothing!

3 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Why James would you 'rubbish' this? It's a very reasonable response that has some weight of evidence to support what I say, I wasn't belittling you or your post, just seems a vert strange reaction...something else maybe that motivates you perhaps? Yes that must be it .:yes:

I responded to your post, reasons are within.

As I said, it is just speculation.

You cannot know for sure that the League Cup caused us to drop points.

No ulterior motives.

Oh, and I rubbished this quoted post because of your paranoid insinuation of ulterior motives.

Archived