IGNORED

Punching Above Our Weight

freezer

9 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yep- Colin Murray .

Axed from MOTD2 , left radio 5 and talk sport- Irishman who supports Liverpool.... no Leeds... oops no make that Pontypridd.

Basically a career in click bait comments who many can't 'weight' to punch.

Left Talksport on a matter of principle. He is a very good broadcaster and has a good all round knowledge of sports on both sides of the Atlantic.

• Admin

I totally understand why outsiders view us as punching above our weight and it's mainly down to spending power. Yesterday's starting XI cost less than £9m (& that includes £5.3m on Fam) which is nowhere near the level the big hitters in this league spend.

However this pays no heed to our business model of buying young players with potential to improve. In terms of cost to purchase at the time, we were a £9m team yesterday, in terms of cost to others now, we were somewhere around a £40m-45m team yesterday.

Right up from our first season back at this level until the second Man City game I have gone into pretty much every Championship game thinking "this could be tough". What we have achieved this season has changed me and I approached yesterday's game in the same way that I'd approach a home game vs an Oldham or Walsall in League 1, knowing a bad result could happen but we'd very likely win. I now view us as genuine automatic promotion contenders.

I was bored. A table based on league position vs average attendance. 1 being biggest overachievers and 24 being biggest underachievers.

1. Brentford +13

2. Cardiff +10

3. Preston +9

4. Fulham +8

5. Millwall +7

6. City +7

7. Derby +4

8. Ipswich +4

9. Wolves +3

10. QPR +3

11. Barnsley +2

12. Middlesbrough +1

13. Burton 0

14. Sheff Utd -2

15. Bolton -2

16. Reading -3

17. Villa -3

18. Hull -4

19. Forest -4

20. Norwich -5

21. Leeds -8

22. Sheff Wed -10

23. Birmingham -12

24. Sunderland -19 :blink:

Is it ever said that Cardiff and Fulham are punching near the top of the table? 

1 hour ago, DaveInSA said:

Nobody has won or lost anything until the maths proves it, especially in this division. It’s totally arrogant (aside from Wolves who are head and shoulders above the rest). 

That said, on paper (many before have said football isn’t played on paper) at the start of the season we were definitely a lower half of the table team.

what changed? A couple of things.

1) Very shrewd recruitment of players and disposal of others.

2) Raducal improvement of the squad, across all of them. 

3) A belief we can win and a never say die attitude.

To achieve all of this is as a result of amazing leadership and onboarding to a strategy.

I’ve been a fierce critic of Lansdown in the past. But finally he has the right men in the right jobs, who all believe in what he wants to do.  And I think he got rid of some of the “yes” men - what did Colin Sextone ever do for this club?

Are we punching above our weight?

Yes, we are. Be proud of it. 

And LJ sticking to his principles re the system he wants to play and spending pre-season ingraining it in the players heads.

They all know what to do.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Left Talksport on a matter of principle. He is a very good broadcaster and has a good all round knowledge of sports on both sides of the Atlantic.

Well said. Never really dug Fighting Talk (the format though - not because of him) but liked him on everything else and he comes across as a very sound bloke and after his stand against Murdoch he went up immeasurably in my estimation! 

Bristol is a big city (especially when you think of the surrounding areas) and we have a billionaire  owner. There’s no reason we shouldn’t be pushing at the top end of the Championship.

But as a city we have always underachieved in football, I can see why people think of Bristol as a footballing backwater. Hopefully over the next few years we can change that perception.

35 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Bristol is a big city (especially when you think of the surrounding areas) and we have a billionaire  owner. There’s no reason we shouldn’t be pushing at the top end of the Championship.

But as a city we have always underachieved in football, I can see why people think of Bristol as a footballing backwater. Hopefully over the next few years we can change that perception.

Changing the perception is correct. I think it was the same programme which also had John Hartson as a co presenter. At the end when asked about City's chances of automatic promotion, he said that he thinks not, as you have Wolves, Derby and Cardiff, three "massive" clubs. One season in the top flight and Cardiff are a massive club, news to me.

54 minutes ago, Rich said:

Changing the perception is correct. I think it was the same programme which also had John Hartson as a co presenter. At the end when asked about City's chances of automatic promotion, he said that he thinks not, as you have Wolves, Derby and Cardiff, three "massive" clubs. One season in the top flight and Cardiff are a massive club, news to me.

To be fair, Hartson is Welsh and Cardiff are a massive club - in Wales!

Agree with the comments above that Colin Murray has been a big supporter of us this season and seems to genuinely enjoy the way we play. 

Archived