IGNORED

Ryan Kent

reformed_red

43 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Yeah, let's slag off a kid who lost possession a few too many times but who every time went looking for the ball, didn't hide, tried to link things, was positive and took chances. 

Why not slag off those who seem to do no wrong even though they're far from special and on too many occasions are rank average? Bryan from start to finish was, not for the first time,  a total liability. Had that been Hodour the masses would be slaughtering him and ushering him out the club. Didgeridoo offered now't; Reid yet another run around without ever looking dangerous (and no the pen doesn't count as he'd turned his back and had no influence over the clumsy keeper going through the back of him.) 

We went offensive tonight and showed exactly what's been feared, take away the additional bodies in midfield and are we really that dominant in the high press? Those who called Pack our best player got it right. Smith did well when restored to where he should play. Brownhill and Patts look like players who are happy in numbers and somewhat exposed when asked to step up on their own.

It's a work in progress and no point throwing the baby out with the bathwater but tonight's a night to take stock, forget the recent hype, and work out how we go back to basics.

We've been punching above our weight and, fingers crossed, may just about throw enough leather to make the playoffs. It's no forgone conclusion.

Fair play mate, Ive noticed quite a few of your posts recently and you manage to get your points across very succinctly. Are you a coach? You seem to have a much better natural understanding of football than the majority on here.

I think he's improved with every game.

I do think he needs to continue to work on the following:

1) Take the first 'natural' option

2) Track back quicker, and tackle more effectively (big improvement on his 1st game though)

3) Don't try to beat the same bloke twice

4) Stay wide if instructed - I'd like to see him get to the by-line more and whip in low hard crosses.

I think a lot comes with fitness. He's another only 80% match fit (if that)

The boy can play, he just needs to play a bit cleverer.

Definitely one to try to sign on a perm if the price is right.

Don't think we will see the best of him this season, but after a full pre-season with us (if he stays), he will be a very dangerous player.

It's all down to him,  if he wants it enough.

4 hours ago, downendcity said:

I agree,

He tried to inject some pace into our attacks rather than maintain the going nowhere passing we got into all too often. He's obviously new to the team and finding his feet and as a result I think he is slightly stifling his natural game, which is to take defenders on. On a few occasions I felt he could have taken a defender on but he made a simple pass instead ( perhaps he feels this is the way we play).

One of the problems with games like this is that we get bogged down with passing. Bolton were more direct but seemed to be much more threatening than us. Kent has pace and when he put his foot down he was going past players and if he kept doing this it might have created more than we did.

These were exactly my thoughts. I could be wrong but it seemed most of our attacks went through him? We were very slow tonight but he looked to be one of only a few who were up for it. Did quite well defensively aswell.

This lad hasn't played much football recently and has been asked to slot into our complicated system. Very few players would be able to fit right into our system as it takes time to learn all the processes. I'm encouraged of what I have seen so far and he's only going to get better as he learns the system and gets upto full match fitness.

The lad is only a few games in so I'll withhold judging until I've seen more of him.

However, he is obviously a technically very gifted player, slick and skilful. A little bit more game nouse and he could be a very good player. Game intelligence is something you develop with time out on the pitch. So, I'm going to be optimistic and hope that we have a good future player on our hands.

8 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Clearly I'm in the minority here but I thought he was one of out better players today. 

Nope I agree. Looked good in the first half. Him and mags now clearing his lines were the only positives for me.

Looked tired after 60/70, so hopefully with plenty of training and game time he will get up to speed for our pressing game.

9 hours ago, reformed_red said:

Flatters to deceive.

Selfish, lazy, no end product. 

Those who think a clever trick or turn is positive need to realise this isn't 5-a-side football.

WHY DID WE NOT SIGN A RB.

Rubbish. He's different class, his movement on & off the ball shows up lots of our players for what they actually are, mid/bottom championship players.

I remember when Paul Hartley joined us and he came in for some stick. What the heathens failed to see then, just like some are failing to see now, is one player doesn't/can't make a team. It's their total contribution that counts. Until we went 1-0 down, Kent was the only player who was up for it, making crosses, chasing the ball and trying to create things. It wasn't his fault the others were too lazy/inpet to get onto what he was creating. It also didn't help that Bolton kicked seven bells out him everytime they went near the ball.

9 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Clearly I'm in the minority here but I thought he was one of out better players today. 

Agreed, thought he was was one of the only ones looking to drive us forward and make something look like happening. I lost count of the number of times he had pulled defenders out and created loads of space for an overlap then looked round and found Bryan nowhere to be seen. 

I wonder whether playing Kent means that Paterson cannot play his natural game. Paterson has played well with Brownhill on the right or when he played behind Reid.

When Brownhill is on the right, we’re less expansive on that side with Paterson being the creative outlet. Obviously Paterson becomes the creator when behind Reid too.

With Kent playing, perhaps it means Paterson needs to play with more defensive discipline to the detriment of his game. 

I also think he hasn’t quite been the same since that illness. I wondered this at the time because he’s slight anyway and LJ said he’d lost weight.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I wonder whether playing Kent means that Paterson cannot play his natural game. Paterson has played well with Brownhill on the right or when he played behind Reid.

When Brownhill is on the right, we’re less expansive on that side with Paterson being the creative outlet. Obviously Paterson becomes the creator when behind Reid too.

With Kent playing, perhaps it means Paterson needs to play with more defensive discipline to the detriment of his game. 

I also think he hasn’t quite been the same since that illness. I wondered this at the time because he’s slight anyway and LJ said he’d lost weight.

I really rate Pato on his day, but he doesnt seem to have the consistency to play 3/4 games at that level.

I know nowadays its a squad game - but I'm interested to see what happens between Brownhill, Pato, Kent and O'Dowda when he comes back. He was on fire before the injury.

Thought he was as lively as he was frustrating. Clearly he has bags of ability but has a habit of running with the ball from one side of the pitch to the other then gives it away. Needs a sat nav to point him in the direction of their goal because all his clever running happens in parts of the pitch where he”ll hurt no-one !

53 minutes ago, Red7 said:

Some nice touches and moves. Doesn't look strong enough or up-for-it enough yet, though. Hoping it will come. And quickly.

"Doesn't look up-for-it"??

I would say he was one of only a handful of players, maybe along with Flint and Smith, that DID look up-for-it last night. His work-rate, drive and endeavour all looked very good to me. Certainly when compared to some of his teammates - hello Joe Bryan, Jamie Paterson et al

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

"Doesn't look up-for-it"??

I would say he was one of only a handful of players, maybe along with Flint and Smith, that DID look up-for-it last night. His work-rate, drive and endeavour all looked very good to me. Certainly when compared to some of his teammates - hello Joe Bryan, Jamie Paterson et al

Bryan couldn't risk the tackle on the break away but could not be ars*d to track back; pure laziness.

9 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

I wish i had a like or a thank you left, because you have just summed it up for me. top man.

Bryan nots sh1te every week though maggers is.gave the ball away 5 times in 10 mins last night but they all did to be honest

11 hours ago, reformed_red said:

Flatters to deceive.

Selfish, lazy, no end product. 

Those who think a clever trick or turn is positive need to realise this isn't 5-a-side football.

WHY DID WE NOT SIGN A RB.

Typical space cadet city fan who see's a player on a handful of occasions and thinks it's fair to form opinion that everyone should take as fact. 

Give the lad a chance you pillock!

I think LJ got it wrong tactically last night.

JB showed what he does often in match's when playing LB...and Ryan Kent, although obviously talented, I don't see how he fits in with our style of play. It reminds me of when we had Tomlin...again talented on his day, but is more disruptive to our shape, than positive. When Kent has the ball....it effects the movement of our other players. It's like they don't know where to go or what to expect from him. Similar to when we had Leko.

All very well beating players and dribbling...but if there is no end product, or the players confused in where to be, how is that going to work.

When we played with Odowda and Patterson, although 'wide' players, they play completely differently to Kent and the gone Leko. They played the short passing game with off the ball movement.

Walsh imo, fits in far better with our style of play.

The whole Baker scenario has thrown a spanner in the works...however, these things happen. So they must be thought of and a plan already put in place for such scenarios.

We obviously don't see performances in training...but imo, Bryan makes far too many mistakes at LB to warrant a place there, when we are already using a makeshift defence.

Given our threadbare squad...Yesterday I would have played...

--------------------------------------------------------------------Steele--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smith------------------------------------Flint-----------------------------------Wright---------------------------------------------Mags

--------------Brownhill-------------------------Pack-----------------Walsh------------------------------Bryan------------------------

-------------------------------------------Reid----------------------------------------Pato-------------------------------------------------------

With the option to bring Elliason, Kent and Famara on with a plan B more direct style with 'wider' direct players to cross the ball.

Yesterday we were a bit of both that didn't work...we were neither, wide, direct or playing our natural game. It looked totally confused.

11 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Uh because Bailey Wright plays there and we have Pisano coming back and Korey can play there. Have I missed something, are we Manchester City?

Wright is a CB who is easily beaten for pace at RB, Pisano is still not back and Korey is needed in the midfield. We missed Korey last night, he's the player who makes the challenges a lot of our players just can't and without him in the middle Ameobi had a field day.
We really need better full backs, Bryan is not a left back, he's a left midfielder, it really showed yesterday how lacking we are with our full backs and it stretched our players into positions that just isn't going to get the best out of them.

Spud - pre-game I stated that I’d gone with

Steele,

Wright, Flint, Magnússon, Bryan

Brownhill, Smith, Pack, Kent

Reid, Diedhiou

Last night was "rest Pato night", just like QPR was "rest Brownhill afternoon".

I thought we looked disjointed for making too many changes.

As it stood, with LJs line-up I would’ve played Kent on right and Pato on left.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Spud - pre-game I stated that I’d gone with

Steele,

Wright, Flint, Magnússon, Bryan

Brownhill, Smith, Pack, Kent

Reid, Diedhiou

Last night was "rest Pato night", just like QPR was "rest Brownhill afternoon".

I thought we looked disjointed for making too many changes.

As it stood, with LJs line-up I would’ve played Kent on right and Pato on left.

I think Magners struggles when JB plays at LB. He makes too many wrong decisions at LB...either positionally, tracking back, stopping a cross or decision making. Even Baker has to keep covering JB. Imo....JB is not a Championship LB. He's still learning his trade whilst playing as it's not ingrained. So he will make mistakes...and we get punished for it at this level. He's better as an offensive Midfielder imo. And we look more secure when he plays there.

I really don't see how Kent and Leko and Tomlin before fir in with our playing style. How do you play the high pressing passing and movement game, with one player who doesn't play the same way? I don't see how it fits...it makes it so disjointed.

If you are going to play more direct wingers, who beat their men and cross, then set up to play that way.

We did neither yesterday. Hence my previous post.

Totally disjointed. As soon as we signed Kent I was worried. In that he doesn't fit our style of play like Leko didn't.

Good for a plan B or different style...but how do those type of players fit with how we normally play?

Not a fan of Kent so far. Doesn’t take on the full back on the outside enough. But early days. I like Eliasson and would’ve rather he started yesterday but I appreciate he’s blown hot and cold. If we’ve got Famara up top we could use Eliasson’s crossing. 

Last night's match should have been heaven sent for Kent to have caused major problems to Bolton. Little was almost playing as a winger, leaving loads of open space behind him. I can't  remember any decent balls into that space for Kent to attack. He's  a fast attacking, winger. We did not utilize  his talents at all.

52 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think Magners struggles when JB plays at LB. He makes too many wrong decisions at LB...either positionally, tracking back, stopping a cross or decision making. Even Baker has to keep covering JB. Imo....JB is not a Championship LB. He's still learning his trade whilst playing as it's not ingrained. So he will make mistakes...and we get punished for it at this level. He's better as an offensive Midfielder imo. And we look more secure when he plays there.

I really don't see how Kent and Leko and Tomlin before fir in with our playing style. How do you play the high pressing passing and movement game, with one player who doesn't play the same way? I don't see how it fits...it makes it so disjointed.

If you are going to play more direct wingers, who beat their men and cross, then set up to play that way.

We did neither yesterday. Hence my previous post.

Totally disjointed. As soon as we signed Kent I was worried. In that he doesn't fit our style of play like Leko didn't.

Good for a plan B or different style...but how do those type of players fit with how we normally play?

Even I can see this, and I've got as much technical insight as a dead wombat. Get inside LJ's head for a minute Spud. What on earth possesses to make these type of signings. He must know the likely outcome by now?

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I thought there were three of four occasions where he didn't show enough desire and got brushed off the ball or taken out of play too easily . That's not to say that others weren't guilty of the same. I was just focussing on the topic of the thread. Hoping it's just a case of a bad day at the office for us and a good one for Bolton. Certainly not going to be overly critical or overly pessimistic after what I hope was a one-off.

11 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Even I can see this, and I've got as much technical insight as a dead wombat. Get inside LJ's head for a minute Spud. What on earth possesses to make these type of signings. He must know the likely outcome by now?

I thought Eliasson, Kent, Leko in the past, would be seen as a plan B scenario tbh. I'm as confused as you as to how either Kent or Leko work in our normal game plan.

Archived