IGNORED

End of Promotion as we know it...and I'm feeling fine

The Nest Egg

42 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Okay, the bubble has burst. I don't think we have it in us to challenge this year. It's been a very fun holiday in the top six but it will end soon. Fulham, Villa and Derby are rampaging now and unfortunately we've started to bottle games. 

Yet, before we start to all pull our hair out, this really isn't the end of the world. We have still had a very good season indicative of good progress. If anything, we aren't ready for the Prem just now. We need more signings for depth and for our promising young players to develop. They will learn from the last few weeks. I would have killed to be in this situation last time last year, where I celebrated draws like they were wins. However, don't let this little slump get you down too much. We are a club on the up who are finally starting to get attention for what we can do, and we have proved this against some of the biggest teams in the world. Our reputation for being able to develop promising young prospects is growing, when even a few years so we were never considered in this fashion. 

Once that Wolves winner went in at the Gate, I knew we would have to remain patient to get to the promised land. We are still in a position off the field that the other teams in the league are becoming increasingly envious of. Sure, some might leave, yet we aren't supposed  to get too sentimental about individual players as that's just how football is.

Anyone furious about our current situation needs a nice dose of perspective. This is the best we have been in a decade, and perhaps we have become too entitled towards assuming we are the best thing since sliced bread. I have faith in the team and staff that they will learn from this and we will finally establish ourselves as a respectable team in this division, which as a younger fan I've never really seen before. We have come so far and it would be such a shame to ditch it all now during a poor spell.

Progress yes!! But all the bad things from last season are creeping back in and clearly lessons are not being learnt, that’s worrying for me. 

43 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Okay, the bubble has burst. I don't think we have it in us to challenge this year. It's been a very fun holiday in the top six but it will end soon. Fulham, Villa and Derby are rampaging now and unfortunately we've started to bottle games. 

Yet, before we start to all pull our hair out, this really isn't the end of the world. We have still had a very good season indicative of good progress. If anything, we aren't ready for the Prem just now. We need more signings for depth and for our promising young players to develop. They will learn from the last few weeks. I would have killed to be in this situation last time last year, where I celebrated draws like they were wins. However, don't let this little slump get you down too much. We are a club on the up who are finally starting to get attention for what we can do, and we have proved this against some of the biggest teams in the world. Our reputation for being able to develop promising young prospects is growing, when even a few years so we were never considered in this fashion. 

Once that Wolves winner went in at the Gate, I knew we would have to remain patient to get to the promised land. We are still in a position off the field that the other teams in the league are becoming increasingly envious of. Sure, some might leave, yet we aren't supposed  to get too sentimental about individual players as that's just how football is.

Anyone furious about our current situation needs a nice dose of perspective. This is the best we have been in a decade, and perhaps we have become too entitled towards assuming we are the best thing since sliced bread. I have faith in the team and staff that they will learn from this and we will finally establish ourselves as a respectable team in this division, which as a younger fan I've never really seen before. We have come so far and it would be such a shame to ditch it all now during a poor spell.

giving 3.0 and 2.0 leads in consecutive games away I am entitled to be disappointed we are only human, what do you expect people to say.

1 minute ago, Full nelson said:

Progress yes!! But all the bad things from last season are creeping back in and clearly lessons are not being learnt, that’s worrying for me. 

I think that our strong start led people to misinterpret us as the finished article, while underestimating how long a Championship season really is. These are still young professionals who are unfortunately going to have results like this during their development. They have already proved that they can learn from some mistakes but they are not all of the way there yet. If this continues happening it is a cause for concern but perhaps this is just another part of the development. If we can say that after that losing streak (which was amongst the worst times I ever had supporting this club) than in time we will be saying it about this little run.

LJ talked about us being 'a work in progress' again after today's match. I honestly don't think the club sees itself as ready to go up this season. I think they are happy to keep bringing in youngsters, gradually improve and see where we go.

Fans who are desperate for promotion this season are not really in sync with their longer term vision. Don't expect the club to be distraught if we miss out this season. I don't think they are expecting it to happen anyway.

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

giving 3.0 and 2.0 leads in consecutive games away I am entitled to be disappointed we are only human, what do you expect people to say.

There is nothing wrong about being disappointed. I was very disappointed too (especially last week) but did not let this turn into serious anger. I got dragged into the vitriol far too easily last year, and it wouldn't hurt us to frame this situation differently. 

2 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

There is nothing wrong about being disappointed. I was very disappointed too (especially last week) but did not let this turn into serious anger. I got dragged into the vitriol far too easily last year, and it wouldn't hurt us to frame this situation differently. 

doesn't make it any easier to take though does it.How a team that was so superior to the teams they were playing in consecutive games and didn't win will haunt me for a long time.

1 minute ago, pillred said:

doesn't make it any easier to take though does it.How a team that was so superior to the teams they were playing in consecutive games and didn't win will haunt me for a long time.

Superior? Debatable. It's a game of two halves. Sunderland were poor defensively but not bad on attack. Leeds were a good side in the second half. I think you're exaggerating, and if this will haunt you for a long time I would hate to think of the effect to your mental state when the things that were actually bad happened to this club!

57 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

This is nothing more than poor discipline. We are repeating the same mistakes as last season. I thought we had moved on from that?!!!

LJ is still learning, learning and learning. Me thinks his mind goes blank during a game but is ok when the pressure is off. Not a big fan of Warnock as a person but look what he’s doing with Cardiff.

4 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Superior? Debatable. It's a game of two halves. Sunderland were poor defensively but not bad on attack. Leeds were a good side in the second half. I think you're exaggerating, and if this will haunt you for a long time I would hate to think of the effect to your mental state when the things that were actually bad happened to this club!

both teams were only any good after we conceded a goal in the second half, and for your information I have been going down to ashton gate for over 50 years, and have seen the ups and downs, the last weeks results despite not losing either of them take some beating in the disappointing stakes.

6 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

I really fail to see any sense in people saying we arnt ready to get promoted, we'd come straight back down ect? How the hell would that be a bad thing? The money, and worldwide publicity will set us up to go again. It will just feel like a chance missed.

Completely agree, we had  a great chance of promotion pre-Christmas. The championship is such a tough league, we were in great position to really push on.

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

Perspective? We were 2nd in the league and a win for sheff Utd could tske us out of the top 6.

January window the board and manager have let us down.

Why have Sheffield United started being given 4 Pts for a win? That’s not fair..! 

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

both teams were only any good after we conceded a goal in the second half, and for your information I have been going down to ashton gate for over 50 years, and have seen the ups and downs, the last weeks results despite not losing either of them take some beating in the disappointing stakes.

'For your information', your long attendance only emphasises my point. In the grand scheme of things, it's nothing. Even in the smaller sample size of the time I have been a fan I could name numerous more disappointing occasions. Take the dog out, or go upstairs and have a w***, get it out your system and then see how you feel

1 hour ago, Newquay-Red said:

Villa and Derby both lost this week. With better tactics, we'd still very much be in it

Thinking about perspective is ok on the paper, but we don't have to forget that Championship is a really tough league and our club has less resoruces than most of the clubs involved. That's why losing a playoff place would be a huge missed opportunity, that could have a negative impact on our immediate future (key-players leaving, steps back, etc.).

Promotion wasn't the club's target? Ok, but we need absolutely to do our best in trying to achieve it, even with all the obstacles we're finding on our way. Some players are coming back from injuries, and this will give LJ more options, so nothing is lost yet....but errors must absolutely be limited. 2 point out of 9 against Bolton,Sunderland and a struggling Leeds are not enough: our team demonstrated that is better than this, and the teams catching us - Boro,PNE,Blades - are not better than us, so there are no reasons to think that ''we can't do it/we don't deserve it''.

Anyway...COYR!

11 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Thinking about perspective is ok on the paper, but we don't have to forget that Championship is a really tough league and our club has less resoruces than most of the clubs involved. That's why losing a playoff place would be a huge missed opportunity, that could have a negative impact on our immediate future (key-players leaving, steps back, etc.).

Promotion wasn't the club's target? Ok, but we need absolutely to do our best in trying to achieve it, even with all the obstacles we're finding on our way. Some players are coming back from injuries, and this will give LJ more options, so nothing is lost yet....but errors must absolutely be limited. 2 point out of 9 against Bolton,Sunderland and a struggling Leeds are not enough: our team demonstrated that is better than this, and the teams catching us - Boro,PNE,Blades - are not better than us, so there are no reasons to think that ''we can't do it/we don't deserve it''.

Anyway...COYR!

I think these are very good points but I also think a key aspect of whether our project is successful or not is our ability to be resilient if it doesn't go right straight away. Our ability to replace esteemed players with promising youngsters will be tested here, which ultimately has been our main goal since relegation in 2013.

52 minutes ago, WelshRobin said:

Will be interesting come the end of the season, if we don't do it, at which point people realised it wasn't going to happen. For me possibly the Sunderland game last week.

Wolves at home if I`m being brutally honest - we`d been riding our luck for a while until that night when it all came crashing down.

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

Perspective? We were 2nd in the league and a win for sheff Utd could tske us out of the top 6.

January window the board and manager have let us down.

We have played one game more than Sheff U & are FOUR points ahead of them.

Explain to me how they could win that game & go above us?

Archived