IGNORED

Jacki Dziekanowski (Merged)

maxjak

Still to this day I remember him running for goal. He had two defenders in front of him. He never went round he was on his own. He just stepped over the ball flicked it over his head ran through the middle of them while they was watching the ball. I do wish he scored that day. Cause till this day I've never seen anyone do that.

Let's be completely honest guys.. when the going got tough, Jacki went missing. I'll never forget being a 10 year old and watching in tears as the blue cloggers tonked us 4-0 at Trumpton. Jacki may as well not have been on the pitch that day.

He was an absolutely wonderful talent but I do think people are being selective with their memory. For every dazzling performance, there were just as many anonymous ones.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

JET was more skilful than Jackie ever was but just as lazy. Glad they never played together......:facepalm:

To quote a certain John Mcinroe...............................You cannot be serious,...........have you become befuddled by delirium

26 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Celtic couldn't believe their luck that some other club wanted to take him off their hands .

The guy was like a lazier Tomlin.

I'm sorry he was the archetypal talented waster .

I'm sure he's a great bloke now though.

Between Jacki and Tomlin, I know who I'd rather share a pint with, and who speaks the better English. 

9 minutes ago, roddy-d said:

Still to this day I remember him running for goal. He had two defenders in front of him. He never went round he was on his own. He just stepped over the ball flicked it over his head ran through the middle of them while they was watching the ball. I do wish he scored that day. Cause till this day I've never seen anyone do that.

Was that down close to the touch line in front of the Williams?  I have vivid memories of him doing that.

What people fail to realise is that football  was different in those days.  Great in many ways but also a bit more grey in others and supporting City meant low expectations. Someone like Jackie playing for City was mind blowing. 

12 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Let's be completely honest guys.. when the going got tough, Jacki went missing. I'll never forget being a 10 year old and watching in tears as the blue cloggers tonked us 4-0 at Trumpton. Jacki may as well not have been on the pitch that day.

He was an absolutely wonderful talent but I do think people are being selective with their memory. For every dazzling performance, there were just as many anonymous ones.

Well said. 

Tracking back was something every other player bar Jackie did. 

Like JET - a wasted talent.  

Toss up between the two for that unwanted label.

4 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

Was that down close to the touch line in front of the Williams?  I have vivid memories of him doing that.

What people fail to realise is that football  was different in those days.  Great in many ways but also a bit more grey in others and supporting City meant low expectations. Someone like Jackie playing for City was mind blowing. 

Too true the Gas have never had a player like that 

6 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

Fair point. 

Mecurial players like Jackie rarely make the first team these days. Just look at Tomlin.

3 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

you didnt track back in them days you had fullbacks that could defend not like today

I can remember full backs overlapping as it was called back then. Swindle had a left back called Trollope with a blond hair who slaughtered City at AG. Must have been late 60s or early 70s. I'd certainly never seen anything like that before. Now it's expected.

Strange the things you remember from decades ago.

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I can remember full backs overlapping as it was called back then. Swindle had a left back called Trollope with a blond hair who slaughtered City at AG. Must have been late 60s or early 70s. I'd certainly never seen anything like that before. Now it's expected.

And more recently, Swindon slaughtered us at Ashton Gate. And we still won 3-0 :P

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

il give you that one a one off

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Everyone knows my view, I was a virtual ever present in those days and so know what I saw.

It’s all about opinions, isn’t it?

Nothing more to add.

I know, I know, deep down, logically speaking, in the cold light of day: £250k = 7 goals and little effort is a poor return.

But,

Jacki was a symptom of the malaise at AG, not a cause. He didn't recruit or sign himself to the club, or pick himself in the team. 

And, we went from crowds of 11500 (quite a lot at that time) when he helped keep us up, to 8k after he had gone. Then 7k a year later, in L1. Dziekanowski brought people to AG. And a few quid back into the "coffers." People bang on about atmosphere now, there was plenty when he was on fire. That Portsmouth game had more "atmosphere" than a season of football in 2018 (I'm veering off into the poetical, now, and nostalgia. I need to remember the facts, too).

For some people, football is, or was, about being lifted out of the mundane and seeing something brilliant or exciting. A bit of magic. DD provided a couple of those moments. We got back to the mundane alright pretty soon after he buggered off. 

And we lost at Trumpton every time, although never as badly as that 0:4, granted (but 1990 wasn't far off). 

He was, though, for many, but not all, a little bit of glamour and magic at a rather sorry football club not really going anywhere anyway, with or without him. Even if the reality of his time here was mostly underwhelming.

10 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

I know, I know, deep down, logically speaking, in the cold light of day: £250k = 7 goals and little effort is a poor return.

But,

Jacki was a symptom of the malaise at AG, not a cause. He didn't recruit or sign himself to the club, or pick himself in the team. 

And, we went from crowds of 11500 (quite a lot at that time) when he helped keep us up, to 8k after he had gone. Then 7k a year later, in L1. Dziekanowski brought people to AG. And a few quid back into the "coffers." People bang on about atmosphere now, there was plenty when he was on fire. That Portsmouth game had more "atmosphere" than a season of football in 2018 (I'm veering off into the poetical, now, and nostalgia. I need to remember the facts, too).

For some people, football is, or was, about being lifted out of the mundane and seeing something brilliant or exciting. A bit of magic. DD provided a couple of those moments. We got back to the mundane alright pretty soon after he buggered off. 

And we lost at Trumpton every time, although never as badly as that 0:4, granted (but 1990 wasn't far off). 

He was, though, for many, but not all, a little bit of glamour and magic at a rather sorry football club not really going anywhere anyway, with or without him. Even if the reality of his time here was mostly underwhelming.

I can't tap rubbish any more. But rubbish. What are you on about a sorry football club?? 

5 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Been watching City since 1976 so old enough to know he had talent

Old enough to know he was a waste of space 95% of the time he was with us

Quite possibly, but that remaining 5% was amazing and is what remains in my memory so many years later.

I have been watching City since the 1960s and whilst, thankfully, I have long forgotten much of the dross I saw during those years, it is memories such as Jacki's (sparse) flashes of individual brilliance that I choose to retain ;).

43 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Quite possibly, but that remaining 5% was amazing and is what remains in my memory so many years later.

I have been watching City since the 1960s and whilst, thankfully, I have long forgotten much of the dross I saw during those years, it is memories such as Jacki's (sparse) flashes of individual brilliance that I choose to retain ;).

Agreed, the mercurial skills of Jet, Jackie & Trundle stick in my mind far more than so much of the dross i’ve witnessed for nearly 50 years and dare I whisper it but I loved watching Tomlin 

Archived